What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like your definition of mild. My LS Originale, Wunderbar, Merkurs, German 37 are all mild that way. My iKons are both mild the inefficient way. ATT S2 and PBOCS - not mild either way for me. YMMV.

So the Lo Storto is my only OC slant with the ‘good’ mildness. And the goofiest looking blade alignment.

Thanks.

I'm used to blade alignment which looks like that, with other slants. Don't remember right off which ones for sure, but maybe the PBOCS.

The Fatip slant alignment is with the edge of the razor itself. It's kattywampus with the cap, but it's supposed to be funny looking if you're looking at the cap.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I finally compared the Fatip slant OC to the CC. Blades were different: OC 7Oclock green (2), CC Crystal (4) (I like both of these blades).
Soap Nivea stick
Brush N400 synthetic
AS Brut
Balm Nivea

Shaved head and face. The OC feels smoother and more efficient (in the first pass), it took more hair down. Second pass felt same and then some touch ups.

All in all these are good razors but if I had to chose one it would be the OC, and I don't know if I am a bit biased towards OC's, but I really wanted the CC to be as good.
One day I'll use same new blades, but today that was what I had available.
Cheers and happy shaves

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
4-22-20.ZenSilvertip.Vitos.FatipOCS.640.JPG

Oh, my, what a nice razor!

Got my closed comb today and gave it a whirl. I think I want to like the idea of a slant because it really did a good job but I can’t like them because of how shaky my hands are. I cut myself up pretty good with this one where a typical gentile won’t bite me at all. This ones not going to stay with me. It is quite efficient, though.

Got my closed comb today and gave it a whirl. I think I want to like the idea of a slant because it really did a good job but I can’t like them because of how shaky my hands are. I cut myself up pretty good with this one where a typical gentile won’t bite me at all. This ones not going to stay with me. It is quite efficient, though.
Sorry to hear that. Did you check blade alignment? To me they feel the same....

Does anybody know how these compare to the Parker semi slant? I am contemplating getting rid of my Parker and my Maggard slants and replacing them with both of these to go with my 37c in rotation. Y’all have really piqued my interest in these.

Damn enablers lol. [emoji15][emoji16]

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;4yr/10yr Sabbatical

i've been looking for a slant for a few weeks now finally found one, its a gentile the OC is out of stock, but finally everywhere id look was out of stock! Now the reason why i purchased this razor is, i have the regular gentile and its not efficient to me? every review i read says its efficient but i disagree, ive tried many blades (astras sp, derby, wilkinson, feather...) just doesnt cut enought or remove enough hair to give me bbs.
Now i've ordered a piccolo regular OC and a gentile slant to try, what do you guys think, it will help? please notice i dislike agressive razors thats why i purchased the gentile first, i once gave an r41 a try and still have nightmares about it to this day.

i've been looking for a slant for a few weeks now finally found one, its a gentile the OC is out of stock, but finally everywhere id look was out of stock! Now the reason why i purchased this razor is, i have the regular gentile and its not efficient to me? every review i read says its efficient but i disagree, ive tried many blades (astras sp, derby, wilkinson, feather...) just doesnt cut enought or remove enough hair to give me bbs.
Now i've ordered a piccolo regular OC and a gentile slant to try, what do you guys think, it will help? please notice i dislike agressive razors thats why i purchased the gentile first, i once gave an r41 a try and still have nightmares about it to this day.

The Piccolo/Grande are plenty aggressive razors but due to the shape of the head they can be tamed by using a shallow angle. The R41 even shallow is still a bit of a scaper as you have noticed.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Try the Fatip Gentile Slant at a steep angle.

Captain of the steep (meme).jpg

While I much prefer the FOCS, the non-OC is quite efficient the way I use mine.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

Maybe my blade should be mentioned here.

I found the FOCS at YourShaving a few days ago, but now they're out.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Try the Fatip Gentile Slant at a steep angle.

While I much prefer the FOCS, the non-OC is quite efficient the way I use mine.

Maybe my blade should be mentioned here.

I found the FOCS at YourShaving a few days ago, but now they're out.

Happy shaves,

Jim

thats where i bought the gentile im in europe so its shorter travel, i have to say the blade that made me not sell the regular fatip gentile was Feather, it became somewhat very eficient compared to the other blades i tried, very smooth no irritation or cuts, but the thing is doesnt remove all the stubble and i end up like homer simpson.
Maybe its my angle? I'll give another shots until the other 2 arrive.
thank you for the tip on the polsilver, i've yet to find them in a good online store in europe near me to try it

The Piccolo/Grande are plenty aggressive razors but due to the shape of the head they can be tamed by using a shallow angle. The R41 even shallow is still a bit of a scaper as you have noticed.

I've tried many angles with the R41 just unnusable for me, which is sad cause its a nice looking razor, i'll try the shallow angle on the piccolo when it arrives, thanks

PS:I dont know if i have enough credibility in this forum yet to sell/trade, but i have an R41 that has just seen one use. :biggrin1:

PS:I dont know if i have the credibility in this forum to sell/trade, but i have an R41 that has just seen one use. :biggrin1:

I've only been at this for a few months and the best advice I've been given is to stick to a set up for a while. You may find out it works with the right blade, angle, and lather combo. This isn't to say you shouldn't try out other razors to get to your shaving Nirvana -- just to give something more of a chance. Having that fixed set up helps in eliminating problems or discovering what works.

I haven't used an R41 but I do have a Fatip Piccolo SE in queue for next month. I know others here will give you good advice on how to tame your razors. It is just trial and error.

I've only been at this for a few months and the best advice I've been given is to stick to a set up for a while. You may find out it works with the right blade, angle, and lather combo. This isn't to say you shouldn't try out other razors to get to your shaving Nirvana -- just to give something more of a chance. Having that fixed set up helps in eliminating problems or discovering what works.

I haven't used an R41 but I do have a Fatip Piccolo SE in queue for next month. I know others here will give you good advice on how to tame your razors. It is just trial and error.

thanks for the advice, i have considered it but i have to shave everyday for work and i also like to shave most weekends too and i dont see giving the R41 much use, thats why i tend to use more mild razors so i dont destroy my face then show up at work like i had a car crash :lol:

i have around 5 DE razors, most of them vintage gillettes and they work great for that, but i thought of trying out some modern hand made pure brass and nickel fatips!

my favorite razor so far has been the rocket hd 500 and its pretty mild but efficient in removing hair, maybe its because i can actually apply a bit of pressure with no cuts or burns thats why it seems to remove more stubble?

...Now i've ordered a piccolo regular OC and a gentile slant to try, what do you guys think, it will help? please notice i dislike agressive razors thats why i purchased the gentile first, i once gave an r41 a try and still have nightmares about it to this day.
The regular Piccolo is milder than the older Mk1 model. It is a very smooth shaver. The key is to not use much pressure and use as few passes as possible. There is a temptation to over-shave just to see how close you can get. You do not need the sharpest possible blades, a blade such as Rapira Platinum Lux, Sharp Star, Wizamet Super Iridium, Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow, etc. seems to work well in my experience.

I've tried many angles with the R41 just unnusable for me, which is sad cause its a nice looking razor, i'll try the shallow angle on the piccolo when it arrives, thanks
Just to give you a little conflicting advice :001_smile, I say use R41s and Fatip OCs STEEP (i.e. handle close to face) for best results (the guard stretches the skin in front of the blade). If DE Razors were meant to be used shallow (i.e. riding the cap — where you bunch the skin up and push the blade into it) there would be no sense in putting guards on the baseplate as the guards wouldn't be used. Of course SHALLOW is good with straights which are simply BLADE and nothing else.

That's my two cents. YMMV :001_tt2:

I am, naturally, a proud member of the SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance). :cornut:

Top Bottom