What's new

Fatip slant open comb - need advice.

So just got my fatip slant OC in the post and it looks different to my mk1 piccolo. I have not shaved with this yet but been checking the blade alignment and razor itself.

The plating quality is still lacking and hasn't improved much since my first piccolo in 2014 as you can see in the first picture a small blemish of missing plating.

1) Do you think it's small enough or should I be asking for replacement.

The handle is ok but has small blemishes that I can live with and the top cap has little scuffs but nothing major.

On to the main point,

Having inspected the blade alignment, is it normal for fatip slant that on either side where the top cap is further inwards, the blade seems to show more. I am going to check this against the merkur 39c because I recall similar instance.

2) do you think this is normal?

However the last point that's bugging me is that the three pin seem to be slightly tilted from 180 degree angle so if you are looking straight at them, they are slightly off 180 degree.

3) do you think is normal?

I was hoping that someone here must have fatip slant so I can just double check whether mine is bad fatip or it's normal as I haven't used it yet I can go for an exchange.

Do let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks
VP
P.s. I have just checked 39c and the three pins are also off 180 degree I guess it must be to do with them being a slant razor but the top cap (2) and blade show isn't there.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's kinda hard to say for sure from your pics. The pins do look off. On mine the blade fits snug over the pins. Does yours? If the pins are way off at the bottom you'll obviously never get the blade straight. As I say hard to say from those pics.

As for blade alignment. The blade should align straight with the combs. To verify that you have to ignore the top cap, which is a strange thing to do as you look down from above, because of the slanted head. The cap produces a kinda optical illusion, so ignore it and check the blade in relation to the teeth.

You are right about quality not being any better from years ago.

It's kinda hard to say for sure from your pics. The pins do look off. On mine the blade fits snug over the pins. Does yours? If the pins are way off at the bottom you'll obviously never get the blade straight. As I say hard to say from those pics.

As for blade alignment. The blade should align straight with the combs. To verify that you have to ignore the top cap, which is a strange thing to do as you look down from above, because of the slanted head. The cap produces a kinda optical illusion, so ignore it and check the blade in relation to the teeth.

You are right about quality not being any better from years ago.
Thanks for your feedback.

You're so right about the optical illusion especially when top cap and base plate both are curled.

So I have done a second check now with ruler and what not. The bottom pin is ever so lightly off centre by 0.5mm which I think is fine.

Slotted the blade in and it fits snugly into the pins and there is no movement. Also, checked my piccolo and noticed that it has a little blade movement maybe 1mm but this hasn't caused me much issues when shaving.

I guess its fine razor then and perhaps I should try shaving with it tomorrow and see the results. Not sure what to expect from fatip slant, although I love the piccolo results!

P.s. blade looks straight to my eyes against the teeth.
proxy.php
proxy.php

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for your feedback.

You're so right about the optical illusion especially when top cap and base plate both are curled.

So I have done a second check now with ruler and what not. The bottom pin is ever so lightly off centre by 0.5mm which I think is fine.

Slotted the blade in and it fits snugly into the pins and there is no movement. Also, checked my piccolo and noticed that it has a little blade movement maybe 1mm but this hasn't caused me much issues when shaving.

I guess its fine razor then and perhaps I should try shaving with it tomorrow and see the results. Not sure what to expect from fatip slant, although I love the piccolo results!

P.s. blade looks straight to my eyes against the teeth.
proxy.php
proxy.php

From what I can see, it looks fine to me. 👍

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Having inspected the blade alignment, is it normal for fatip slant that on either side where the top cap is further inwards, the blade seems to show more.

I imagine it depends on the razor design. My Merkur 37 among others had even blade exposure. The ATT S2 does not. Both are good shavers.

O.H.

bite the bullet and use it....it might be a perfect shaver....might not be a looker, but for $34....that's what you get.

My FOCS aligns a little weird and bites on one side more than the other. However, it still shaves great so I'm happy.

Top Bottom