What's new

Fatip refurbishment?

Hi gents! My go-to razor is a Fatip Originale Picollo (Special Edition) that I bought just under a year ago. Virtually from day one the finish on the cap started wearing off. Now, despite that it is still by a margin my favourite razor. (Even the golden Lo Storto Originale I acquired later cannot match its efficiency.) As far as I can see, the brass cap seems to have three finish layers, a lacquer layer on top, black paint underneath and a bottom layer that looks chrome/nickel. The chrome/nickel layer is super glossy and perfect for my needs. I believe the lacquer layer is pretty easy to scratch off, even with my finger nails. I read before that some people 'repolished' their caps. What tools did you use? Chemicals or mechanical removal? (I don't have a professional workshop at hand!)
I mounted the head on the handle of my Lo Storto as the original black handle is also wearing off a bit.
Please don't try to convince me to buy some stainless alternative! It's Fatip for me. Nothing matches its performance!

Attachments

• IMG_5631.jpeg
    IMG_5631.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 107
I will be following with interest.
Fatip Open Comb is my go-to razor. I have two in gold finish. The oldest is 8 years old. Both are worn off.
I thought of re-plating them at some time or another but it is less expensive to buy new ones.

You can try polishing the razor with a metal polish like Flitz. Use a buffing wheel or a Dremel tool with polishing pad. You could do it by hand with a microfiber cloth, but it will take longer. The underlying metal plating shouldl be much tougher than the black coating on the surface.

1628001190498.png

Unacceptable for a product still under warranty. Document the issue and contact seller by email with attached pictures and receipt.
Alternatively, contact Fatip directly.
Either should offer free replacement.
All true! However living in Zimbabwe doesn't make all this easy or worthwhile... I have a Supply that I could return because it's rubbish, but spending all the money to send it that side? It's lying idle in my drawer after 2 or 3 shaves: poor design, great execution. The Fatip special edition imho is so cheap they I can even forgive them for the poor finish. I even believe is so cheap because they know there's problems with production. Don't all Italian products suffer from the same problem: great design, poor execution? I love my Fatip!

All true! However living in Zimbabwe doesn't make all this easy or worthwhile... I have a Supply that I could return because it's rubbish, but spending all the money to send it that side? It's lying idle in my drawer after 2 or 3 shaves: poor design, great execution. The Fatip special edition imho is so cheap they I can even forgive them for the poor finish. I even believe is so cheap because they know there's problems with production. Don't all Italian products suffer from the same problem: great design, poor execution? I love my Fatip!
It's a problem just with that black finish they used. The other finishes are much better. I have both nickel and chrome plated Fatips and they are holding up fine. The gold finish is a bit more fragile, but does not wear away as the black one does.

It's a problem just with that black finish they used. The other finishes are much better. I have both nickel and chrome plated Fatips and they are holding up fine. The gold finish is a bit more fragile, but does not wear away as the black one does.
I believe so too... The nickel piccolo is so damn cheap and I'm sure it outperforms plenty of $100+ Stainless razors out there!
The piccolo was for me the cheapest option to try out an open comb!

Removing lacquer and paint should be pretty easy with a bit of chemical paint stripper and maybe a bit of scrubbing with an old toothbrush. Solvents shouldn't affect the nickel/chrome underneath. After it's stripped a good scrub with dish detergent and another old toothbrush should have it ready to shave again.

It seems a bit strange they'd paint over nickel/chrome. A really hard shiny surface doesn't leave anything for the paint to stick to. Generally before painting you want a slightly rough surface. Sanding with 600-800 grit sandpaper usually gives you about what you need to make paint stick. Maybe that's why the paint isn't sticking and stripping the paint might give you a nice shiny nickel plated razor. If the nickel finish is rough (as it should be if you were going to paint it), you may just want to spring for a new Piccolo with nickel plating.

R

romsitsa

The black coat should be black chrome. Chorme is harder than nickel, but is also a very thin layer, so it should fade away with regular use. Your photo is not really clear, but I guess the chrome doesn't stick to the nickel for whatever reason, so should come off even easier. You can also try a polishin compound with a polishing wheel, just avoid edges, so you won'tpolish through the nickel by accident.
Chemical stripping removes the nickel under the chrome, so this is only viable if you want a complete replate.

I love my Special Edition (in fact I am just about to use it for my daily shave). Bought it a month ago and the top cap is showing signs of the paint wearing off. I was forewarned by others on this forum that it may or may not happen. It does not hurt its performance at all. I got it through Amazon so good luck to me if I want a replacement. Brick and mortar stores in the Netherlands carrying Fatip are almost non existent in my knowledge. I might contact Fatip just as feedback.

But how did your saga evolve @JanVanDerVoort?

I love my Special Edition (in fact I am just about to use it for my daily shave). Bought it a month ago and the top cap is showing signs of the paint wearing off. I was forewarned by others on this forum that it may or may not happen. It does not hurt its performance at all. I got it through Amazon so good luck to me if I want a replacement. Brick and mortar stores in the Netherlands carrying Fatip are almost non existent in my knowledge. I might contact Fatip just as feedback.

But how did your saga evolve @JanVanDerVoort?
I bought myself a Fatip Grande Nickel and switched the nickel comb with the golden comb from the special edition. The Grande handle is a little thicker and therefore more comfortable for me (but I don't appreciate the hole in the bottom ;-).
I also learned that darker chrome colours are less strong than lighter colours. So I'm just going to be happy with the nickel and not pursue this matter further.

I bought myself a Fatip Grande Nickel and switched the nickel comb with the golden comb from the special edition. The Grande handle is a little thicker and therefore more comfortable for me (but I don't appreciate the hole in the bottom ;-).
I also learned that darker chrome colours are less strong than lighter colours. So I'm just going to be happy with the nickel and not pursue this matter further.
Excellent and good to know. Seems like the old adage of never changing a winning team.

A Fatip Piccolo nickel is on its way and should arrive here tomorrow afternoon! Can’t wait!

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom