What's new

Fatip Razors - Coating

I am starting to like more and more my Fatip Testina Gentile but i read and saw that all fatips have poor coating. Mine didn't wear off yet but it is still young. Do all fatip models have poor coating, what about their special edition? I want to get the open comb and i don't know which one to get( fatip only). I feel like it is a good deal even with the coating problems.

The metal plating is fine (chrome, nickel or gold). There was a problem with the black coating that would wear away on the special editions, but most Fatips did not have the black coating. Chrome is probably one of the more durable plating choices.

When reading there seems to be less complaints about the nickel coatings then any other, but most what you hear is complaints about the black coating. All Fatips (the oldest is around 15 years old but not that much used) I and my son have, including a black Gentile, are just fine and besides, with brass as base material nothing bad will happen to your razor anyhow.

Both my black coatings are like new so far (Gentile and special edition). There are lots of photos of the black coating wearing off however.

I still like mine but the gold is wearing off my open comb and the chrome is showing. I don't use it often but maybe if they came stainless. I have mixed info on the heads. Are they samic or brass?

I still like mine but the gold is wearing off my open comb and the chrome is showing. I don't use it often but maybe if they came stainless. I have mixed info on the heads. Are they samic or brass?
Fatip works only in brass, no Zamak components at all.

R

romsitsa

Black fading is normal. The issur is no one tells you that black nickel and chrome is only a thin decorative top coat.

My SE Fatip set has no sign of the black wearing off from either the handle or cap.
Used daily for a few years now (well, ever since the SE came out).
The baseplates (of course) are gold and they are both fine too.
Maybe Fatip cured the problem?

It is more complicated than it seems with the materials a razor is made of. The brass is technically a copper-zink alloy where the copper is the main player. There are many copper alloys depending of the combination material the copper is used with.

The romanian online shop where i got my Testina Gentinle from specifies that it is made out of "oton" which I assume is another copper alloy but I couldn't find any information about it.

The romanian online shop where i got my Testina Gentinle from specifies that it is made out of "oton" which I assume is another copper alloy but I couldn't find any information about it.
Brass translates to 'ottone' in Italian. And while both zamak and brass contain zinc, zamak will corrode if unprotected (that can take long but depends a lot on the type and quality) while brass develops a patina. Of course nothing withstands eternity......

Iridian

Cool and slimy
This must be an Italian thing. :) I think they just don't get the idea NOT to coat their razors, even if they are made of brass or 316 steel. For looks and design reasons. :love-struck:

Top Bottom