What's new

Fatip razor (pros & cons)

Hey all,
I pulled out the classic closed comb Grande today. I wanted to compare it to the closed comb slant (again). Last time I used that one first then I got the slant. I wanted to try it after using the slant this time!
Changed the blade as well with a Gillette platinum. The blade change made a huge difference. First round with the classic closed comb was with a Wilkinson German blade and the shave was OK. So I used a Gillette yesterday for the first shave with the slant. It was so good that I had to try a Gillette on the classic closed comb razor.
It made it great: Efficiency a tad less than the OC but smooth as can be, Love it!
I'm seriously going to have to reconsider what I find the best of the bunch!
The closed combs give me incredibly close and smooth shaves. I dare say that they perform better (for me)
than the open combs. I know everyone loves the OC since it's the "original" Fatip, but man the closed combs are
awesome.
So that's that!
I love the closed comb Fatip's!
Tomorrow I'll be trying the classic Nickel OC Grande for the first time. This will let me revisit that head/handle combo and I'll be using it with the Gillette platinum blade as well.
We'll see how the comparison goes tomorrow!
LRod
I was inspired by your post and dug up the closed comb from my Piccolo Special Edition. It reminded me why I prefer the open comb;-) I can't get the area under the jawline clean with anything else than the open comb. I tried stretching the skin but that didn't work. Right now, I actually 'bulge' the skin by bending my head downwards. And that does work for me...

After a week not using any Fatip, I revisited the OC Grande yesterday and the closed comb classic Grande tonight.
Both are wonderful but I still find the closed comb smoother. The OC has a tad more efficiency but is rougher on the shave.
In other news:
I ended up selling my Piccolo OC slant yesterday!
The only one that I disliked out of all the heads.

After 2 weeks of daily Rocca shaves I'm ready to revisit Piccolo OC. Stainless steel German quality (and over perfection) did increased my RAD to get more SS razors, open combs, but for all due common sense lets first compare and see how my feelings for Fatip are now, after using such great performer.

IMG_20220803_055524.jpg

I'll be using Piccolo for rest of August hopefully, and see how competitive Piccolo is to higher-end razors.

1st shave in a while (Astra Green #1, Proraso Red tube, Piccolo SE OC)

Fatip pros:
  • much closer shave compared to anything else, even with Rocca
  • skin shave feel also seems much lighter, no gray dots from hair folicules, just pure skin tone (probably taken of some skin layer as well, blade angle def. makes the cut more perpendicular to hair stem)
  • 1 WTG pass + touch up were just enough for a 2 day growth
  • muscle memory retained, felt like I have no razor in hand at all (could be con as well, as false-seductive for mildness but keep in mind - it's comfortable but with significant blade exposure)
Fatip cons:
  • skin feel bit rough after extensive usage of milder razors, mild skin tightness after the shave, but not harsh
  • blade angle is for sure directed more "into the skin" compared to Rocca which curves the blade away from face surface, so add pressure with Fatip -> it'll end up digging into the skin, while Rocca will tolerate this manouvre a little bit.
Comparisson (Piccolo vs Rocca):
  • cheeks - same, both comfort and closeness
  • chin (goatee area) - much closer than Rocca, no need for touchup, not agressive either, Rocca left 2-3 hairs max. to be cleaned up
  • neck - same efficiency, nearly 95% done in 1WTG pass, but "here & there" touchup was much comfortable with Rocca, but in both cases - almost unnecessary
Although this was just initial "recall" comparison with uncomparable by design types of razors (OC vs CC) I don't have feel that Fatip is "worse" or that it lacks anything major. OK, there are quality differences, materials, technology etc. but for shave closeness - yes, definitely not underdog. Some technique adjustment needed, some experience (in growth-patterning and no-pressure handling) as well, but it can produce same/better shave. Comfort might be affected but YMMV as I didn't use any additional face-care products today just water + proraso cream + water rinse off. With both razors slower pace is beneficial, but it won't prolong shave routine as less passes will be needed anyhow. On comfort side and with more frequent usage - I'll come back, as not wish to be too subective at this point.

1st shave in a while (Astra Green #1, Proraso Red tube, Piccolo SE OC)

Fatip pros:
  • much closer shave compared to anything else, even with Rocca
  • skin shave feel also seems much lighter, no gray dots from hair folicules, just pure skin tone (probably taken of some skin layer as well, blade angle def. makes the cut more perpendicular to hair stem)
  • 1 WTG pass + touch up were just enough for a 2 day growth
  • muscle memory retained, felt like I have no razor in hand at all (could be con as well, as false-seductive for mildness but keep in mind - it's comfortable but with significant blade exposure)
Fatip cons:
  • skin feel bit rough after extensive usage of milder razors, mild skin tightness after the shave, but not harsh
  • blade angle is for sure directed more "into the skin" compared to Rocca which curves the blade away from face surface, so add pressure with Fatip -> it'll end up digging into the skin, while Rocca will tolerate this manouvre a little bit.
Comparisson (Piccolo vs Rocca):
  • cheeks - same, both comfort and closeness
  • chin (goatee area) - much closer than Rocca, no need for touchup, not agressive either, Rocca left 2-3 hairs max. to be cleaned up
  • neck - same efficiency, nearly 95% done in 1WTG pass, but "here & there" touchup was much comfortable with Rocca, but in both cases - almost unnecessary
Although this was just initial "recall" comparison with uncomparable by design types of razors (OC vs CC) I don't have feel that Fatip is "worse" or that it lacks anything major. OK, there are quality differences, materials, technology etc. but for shave closeness - yes, definitely not underdog. Some technique adjustment needed, some experience (in growth-patterning and no-pressure handling) as well, but it can produce same/better shave. Comfort might be affected but YMMV as I didn't use any additional face-care products today just water + proraso cream + water rinse off. With both razors slower pace is beneficial, but it won't prolong shave routine as less passes will be needed anyhow. On comfort side and with more frequent usage - I'll come back, as not wish to be too subective at this point.
That's what holding me back to purchase anything else beyond my Fatip Open Comb... I know I'll NOT be blown away by the performance!

Well, I finally joined the party!

full

Unfortunately the reason for not joining sooner was featured on my razor, namely the adjustable blade exposure. I was really hoping that getting the Storto would negate this, I have a plastic slant that self aligns as you tighten it. Luckily I only use one edge at a time so that makes it easier at least. Just holding it up to my face I can tell I am going to enjoy this, if I got the blade aligned correctly. :mad3:

Thanks @LRod for recommending the closed comb, the next one will be an OC Grande, maybe.

full

Unfortunately the reason for not joining sooner was featured on my razor, namely the adjustable blade exposure. I was really hoping that getting the Storto would negate this, I have a plastic slant that self aligns as you tighten it. Luckily I only use one edge at a time so that makes it easier at least. Just holding it up to my face I can tell I am going to enjoy this, if I got the blade aligned correctly. :mad3:

Thanks @LRod for recommending the closed comb, the next one will be an OC Grande, maybe.
Welcome to the club!
Good choice. I really like the closed comb slant.
Enjoy it!
If it's any consolation (in terms of alignment issues), that's the only one of the ones I got that aligns perfectly with no issues. I just drop the blade in while it's upside down, hold pressure with my finger on the cap while I tighten the handle and that's it! No fiddling! Aligns itself!

That's what holding me back to purchase anything else beyond my Fatip Open Comb... I know I'll NOT be blown away by the performance!
Agree, performance wise - it's about same, still I upgraded R89 to R94 mostly for cosmetic reasons, stainless steel version, Muhle appreciation for QC, and not regret, there is noticeable improvement for comfort, shave dynamics etc. and I got it on good discount (was about 70eur vs. 20eur for average Fatip) so not such bank-breaker and not provider of 3x better shave for sure. Maybe would be more pronounced for someone else, I mostly shave daily or up to 2 days tops, so maybe I'm not most relevant for topic and I did treet myself with Rocca more than I needed it, just happens I really like it 🤗

Not to forget that I'm lucky winner of Fatip's blade alignment lottery and semi-looser of the infamous Fatip coating 😁 which you avoid both with more quality ($$$) razors.

full

Beautiful razor, see you in "Fatip Friday" if you care to share your impressions ;)

Agree, performance wise - it's about same, still I upgraded R89 to R94 mostly for cosmetic reasons, stainless steel version, Muhle appreciation for QC, and not regret, there is noticeable improvement for comfort, shave dynamics etc. and I got it on good discount (was about 70eur vs. 20eur for average Fatip) so not such bank-breaker and not provider of 3x better shave for sure. Maybe would be more pronounced for someone else, I mostly shave daily or up to 2 days tops, so maybe I'm not most relevant for topic and I did treet myself with Rocca more than I needed it, just happens I really like it 🤗

Not to forget that I'm lucky winner of Fatip's blade alignment lottery and semi-looser of the infamous Fatip coating 😁 which you avoid both with more quality ($$$) razors.
I too have a regular R41 and the R41GS. The GS is indeed beautiful but rather harsh, too long and too heavy. I am considering a Merkur 41C and maybe even a Blackland Blackbird or a Karve open comb. Best deal would be a Fatip stainless ;-)

No worries @APBinNCA and @LRod - Having a Fatip that aligns perfectly each and every time is like walking into an antique store where the owner has 6 Hybrid Techs in pristine condition with case ready for you to buy for $10 each.

But I can live with that, because the shaves I get from my Fatips are simply amazing. I could should have stopped when I got those. And now I see that @Shaun asleep has his Lo Storto up for sale...RAD is raging my friends!

Best,

Guido.

I haven't got my initial review up of my Lo Storto because I am still confused and trying to put into words what happened last night. In fact I had intended to take a picture for the Fatip Friday thread, but things went off the rails. The big pluses are there was no blood involved and it somehow shaved over facial features that normally require a straight razor and precision. I tilted it up slightly onto the cap and it magically picked out the offending hairs without taking the top off the bumps. I am kind of dumbfounded at this and that alone makes this purchase worth it. The rest of the shave is a mixed bag stemming from alignment difficulty.

While still being in comparisson mode - I switched to Rocca for the last 2 daily shaves, and while the feelings are fresh:
  • performance wise (end-result): lack of whiskers is same
  • smoothness is def. on the Rocca side, for same efficiency - far less aftershave burn
For the debate what is more enjoyable "journey or destination" I'd rephrase my previous statement as: Fatip is a fast lane driver to end goal, Rocca is much enjoyable ride (and for the price difference it'd better be :D)
I do have less evidence that I shaved with Rocca (less burn, less aftershave feedback) but I do believe that there is a margin of improvements still left in Fatips while the rest of higher-end razors should choose their pricepoint wisely. Rocca is a better shaver, but 3x better? Doubt. Not to mention some razors for over 200$, I'd expect that would need to shave just by looking at it, in 1 pass, without touchup or anything else for that price range :)

Fatip offers top-efficiency for the price and materials used and I'm happy to stumble upon it in my DE recreation. And it's a good reference to test own affinity towards razor styles for a minimal investment. For any other upgrade - stainless, titanium, OC, CC, SB... it's easy to decide and to validate how much more money you're ready to invest in a razor.

While still being in comparisson mode - I switched to Rocca for the last 2 daily shaves, and while the feelings are fresh:
  • performance wise (end-result): lack of whiskers is same
  • smoothness is def. on the Rocca side, for same efficiency - far less aftershave burn
For the debate what is more enjoyable "journey or destination" I'd rephrase my previous statement as: Fatip is a fast lane driver to end goal, Rocca is much enjoyable ride (and for the price difference it'd better be :D)
I do have less evidence that I shaved with Rocca (less burn, less aftershave feedback) but I do believe that there is a margin of improvements still left in Fatips while the rest of higher-end razors should choose their pricepoint wisely. Rocca is a better shaver, but 3x better? Doubt. Not to mention some razors for over 200$, I'd expect that would need to shave just by looking at it, in 1 pass, without touchup or anything else for that price range :)

Fatip offers top-efficiency for the price and materials used and I'm happy to stumble upon it in my DE recreation. And it's a good reference to test own affinity towards razor styles for a minimal investment. For any other upgrade - stainless, titanium, OC, CC, SB... it's easy to decide and to validate how much more money you're ready to invest in a razor.
At a point I was doubting between the Rocca and R41GS. The Rocca –especially the birch version– is one of the most beautiful razors around. I got a R41GS instead. Wrong choice... Bad razor...
So according to you the Rocca is pretty efficient???
I never had any issues with razor burn or any other bad experiences with the Fatip OC though...

At a point I was doubting between the Rocca and R41GS. The Rocca –especially the birch version– is one of the most beautiful razors around. I got a R41GS instead. Wrong choice... Bad razor...
So according to you the Rocca is pretty efficient???
I never had any issues with razor burn or any other bad experiences with the Fatip OC though...
Well yes, for me at least as I shave daily or up to 2-3 days cadence. Can't say that Fatip like ever cut me bad or provided a poor shave, not at all, but I can't ignore aftershave feel, you know, like - something was different can't really explain what but it did (that kind of feel). By the face look it'd be hard to differentiate which razor I've used, only aftershave splash will tell, but those are OC vs CC to be fair. Some days I like bit more comfort on others I praise Fatip's one-pass DFS++. Still wonderful razors each in its world :)

Here's my Rocca first impressions: Muhle Rocca - a true rocker! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/muhle-rocca-a-true-rocker.627203

Just wanted to update on my Fatip usage. As you all might remember, I had bought all the different heads and some different handle combinations with those. In the end I sold off the ones I liked least.
The 3 that I kept:
-Classic Open Comb with Grande handle
-La Storto Slant closed comb
-Closed comb with Grande handle

In the last few weeks I've been focused on my vintage razors but pulled out the Fatip's yesterday. My inspiration was using my new vintage closed comb Hoffritz slant. It encouraged me to use the Fatip closed comb slant as a comparison. And it was a great time because I sent off my Hoffritz slant to get replated today.
I had previously had just 2 shaves with the Fatip slant. Last night I used it and it reminded me as to why I kept it in the first place. It's one of those razors that as you shave you wonder if it's doing anything. And when you're done, your face is smooth as glass. Excellent razor!
The second pass is where all the magic happens which is strange (I only do 2 pass shaves). With most more aggressive razors, the first pass is where I usually notice it's effectiveness. So the Fatip closed comb slant is definitely unique in that regard. For me the open comb slant could never touch this one. It was a rough shave every time!
Tonight I'll be using the Classic open comb Fatip for another test since I only used that one a couple of times as well.
LRod

Last edited:
Tonight's shave was with the Classic OC.
Slightly more efficient than the closed comb slant.
It loses a tad of smoothness but overall a very pleasant shave.
Another reminder why the Fatip's are part of the few modern's that I kept!
To me they're the best value in a modern shaver.
And their vintage vibe is a bonus!
Excellent!

I'm now on the week-strike of Fatip OC SE paired with Astra Green and Cella Red. Guess that razor-rotation (too frequent) doesn't help much, as with daily Piccolo usage - I'm more accustomed to its weight and my grab is lighter and lighter daily, so I see that "aggressiveness" fades away and my shaves are closer and closer to BBS in 1WTG + 1ATG on the neck. Its classic design and comfortable combs make it so intuitive to adjust angle-wise and being comfortable it's easy to overdone with pressure because you only need air-light touch. Not even a weeper this week! Remarkable. Perhaps I'm getting comfortable with heavier razors now, rotating Rocca and Piccolo (both ~70g) while R89 and Piccolo rotation does make muscle memory to re-addapt for ~15g diff. Doesn't sounds like much, but the margin between comfortable shave and red-face is also just a hair thin.

If anyone listens "Piccolo in Stainless Steel please!" :D just an idea... Would like so much to make it more durable and timeless, but it's not a downside of this razor as you can always get a new one every now and then.

Wonder does anyone tried to pair Fatip's head/cap with other razors. R89+Fatip open comb feels a bit mild and I'm looking forward to tryout pairing with new ordered R41 to see combos, as I'll probably pair best-matched top-cap with Fatip's open comb and SS handle, just for robustness. Fatip-feel is something that is worth making as durable as possible IMHO.

Top Bottom