What's new

Fatip razor (pros & cons)

The other day I read that the blade exposure of a Fatip and a Mühle is the same 0.14. I own both but the Fatip is way more comfortable. What I also noticed is how closely the blade follows the arc of the comb (thanks to the shape of the cap). My eyesight is not what it used to be, but there's hardly any blade exposure between the blade and the teeth of the comb, contrary with what I see on the Mühle. Does that maybe explain why the Fatip feels so much more comfortable???

Another thing... the hyped blade alignment issue with the Fatip. Yes I've seen it a few times that either the blade site parallel to the cap but has more exposure on one side than on the other side or 'worse' that there's more blade exposure on the left side of the comb than on the right side. But frankly I've never have that issue cause any problems with the shave? Why can't you just consider it a slant when the blade is not perfectly straight???

Hello B&B people,

After more than a year of extensive usage of Fatip razors and a couple ones being gifted to friends and family, I'd like to share some love and praise for this, by many users - underrated gem of Italian manufacturing. Not being affiliated to Fatip at any way, so this is just my experience with it, like it or not, take it, doubt it, it's up to you. If you find some value in additional information or help for doubt whether to pull the trigger on this razors - feel free to continue reading, share your own opinions, and of course - ask any questions you think I might answer ;)

My journey with Fatip went more from a birthday present preparation. My father used an old razor (with remowed comb, just top cap, handle and bare blade underneath), so I figured out he might like Fatip OC, and I went on purchasing Fatip Grande OC in gold:

View attachment 1465164
View attachment 1465165

When unpacked, I was first impressed with finish and overall "old-school" look, the curve of the head, the plating, the lining on the handle, everything were just perfect. I couldn't restrain myself from trying it out :) Againt all reviews, considering Fatip OC to be quite agressive (I'd rather reffer to it as "efficient") I didn't felt any drawbacks. Only nicks I've got - I deserved them after "ough, this is so smooth, this is so nice, I don't feel blade, let's speed up... ough.. there's a nick" so it's very deceptive in it's shave feel.
I'd say it's mild face-feel, no burn, even not much an aftershave-burn at all, not much of a blade feel, although you'll always have precise feel where the blade is (if you need special precision) but overall - like someone said "R41 efficiency with R89 smoothness". Hand-made in brass, cheap as peanuts -> it seemed as a winner. My father used it, and his report is that he needed to learn a new angle, which opposed to my opinion that he's well accustomed to super-agressive shaves, I mean - he's not using a blade guard at all (and proven that he's just scraping beard instead of making clear cuts) so this is the only feedback from an "old wolf" and not a negative one.

Afterwards, I found a good discount on Fatip SE and though to buy it for myself. For same price - bit heavier razor, two guards (open comb and safety bar) what can be wrong? It's not that expensive, I liked the curvature of the blade, and being aware of the reviews I was ready to accept the risk of poor black-finish notorious for Fatips. Made an order, received it and wow, was it a beauty?!

View attachment 1465171

View attachment 1465172

View attachment 1465173

View attachment 1465174

My first shave with piccolo was indeed remarkable. If I could explain it in a sentence - it's like a sports car among the razors. The pleasure and feel of the shaving is just like that. And by sports car, to be honest, it's not a Ferrari, more like Alfa Romeo :) it's a beauty, it's enjoyable and it has some bugs, you either hate it or adore it to beyond limits. My personal best feel about this razor was the shape of the head, such a nice flow made in transition from top-cap, blade, safety guard (both OC and CC) you almost have no blade feel and yet it's so damn efficient that one pass soon became more than enough for my all Fatip-shaves. If it may be considered as "downside" it just exposed some of my bad-habbits (poor lathering, not-wetting the face and using only water from lather, not brushing the lather long enough into the whiskers, short prep, poor hydratation, not drinking enough water, not using hydratation losions afterwards, using any angle at any place on the face...) so it's not the razor's fault to expose the bad owner. The closed comb (testina gentile) felt just a little, and by little I mean - not worth improvement compared to Muhle R89, just a tiny, tiny, tiny bit more efficient so I passed that one to my father "just in spare" so he can use it, as I already had R89 in regular rotation and having other razor with same efficiency was not needed.
Open comb however, was just about perfection. Little nimble "sports-car" shaver, which I felt quite comfortable in my hand (I do use it with my index finger so it sits perfectly, perhaps that's why I prefered piccolo over grande) and the shave itself is just the same, I only prefer agility of the piccolo:

View attachment 1465177
It hit's the right angle so good that I really don't need any other touch-ups, no additional passes and the weight is just fine. If you have other technique, larger hands, your exp. might differ. For me - it's on spot!

For the blades combo - to be honest, there are no blades I found to be particularly bad for this one, some might get dull quicker, some might last longer, but almost any blade worked nice with it. Maybe the best performance could be attached to:
  • Persona platinum
  • Perma-Sharp
  • BIC
  • Gillette 7o'clock yellow
  • Astra (less longevity)
  • Wilkinson black
  • Treet (do rust after 2 shaves, due to water retention underneeth the comb teeth)
Now, for most notorious thing regarding Fatips - yes, the black coating went off. Now I have this scruffy old, "vintage" look and I like it nevertheless :) It's such a great shaver that I really do not mind at all. Gold plating is howewer remarkable, the comb is still like new, my father's Grande is still like new, so I guess that only issue existed with the black coating. Blade alignment was not that bad, as some blades do have different geometry, wiggle more/less, and just fit's more aligned. It's not an overkill to adjust it a bit manually if needed, so I wouldn't say this is the major drawback, although the R89 have this alignment much, much better. Perhaps it's the OC design that allows blade to slide more, but that would affect any other brand, which I do not have and hence - can't confirm.

View attachment 1465179

Another "drawback" for shaving enthusiasts may be the thread dimension (M4) which will bound you to Fatip handles only, compared to mostly used M5 for any other brand, so you can switch handles only between Fatips (if you care for creating frankenrazors).

Efficency-wise, I rarely do more than 2 passes. 1x WTG is more than enough for work, day-to-day shaves, no irritations, no nicks, lasts up to evening, sometimes I'd just perform a sligh touch-up on goatee area or on the neck (my beard does grow in different speed on different areas) but the "touch-up" is such a minor improvement that it's not worth performing, unless I feel sorry to waste nice lather. If some hairs haven't grown nicely for today's shave - I don't care, I'll cut them easier tomorrow, and that's it. No fuss about it.

I use boar/synthetic/pure badger brushes, rotate Proraso, Nivea shave creams and Stirling/Cella soaps, without any differences made to Fatip performance. It never clogs, rinses nicely, and a 2-3 pass shave might easily last you for entire weekend. Hand-made, brass all around, lowest in price, made in Italy, what else can you ask from a razor :)

And as a final redemption, I must admit that it did teach me to better shave, and to improve my technique. After conducting OBIF 2022 challenge (you can search for my inputs in link provided), and returned to R89 I reallized that my technique improved much by using Fatip, and I cannot be more greatful for that. Nowadays, I use it in rotation, for long weekend and shaves that must last, for everyday - speed shaves in 1 pass, or just because it gives me that nostalgic, old-times look and feel, and for the price - it's unbeatable gem. I did browsed for many other newer razors, but to be honest - what else do I need, really? I have one perfect high-quality mild-range razor (R89) I got one super-speed-efficient beast (Piccolo SE OC) and I guess that my journey is finished in razor acquisition... now I only pursuit and enjoy shaving soaps, creams and brushed, razor's quest is quite completed with Fatip.

For those who'd like more combo-information, I post in Fatip Friday thread as well so you can check it out. Anyhow, trully underestimated razor, with all tiny flaws.
I just found your thread after writing about Fatip on another thread. So I decided to copy/paste what I wrote on the other thread. Seems like this is the right thread to express what will be my new Fatip ownership.
Note: You mentioned Alfa Romeo! Well, so did I (I didn't copy you, LOL!!)
Like I said, I ran into your thread after writing on the other thread!
Anyways, here's what I wrote:

I just ordered what will be my first (and hopefully not last) two Fatip razors. A gold OC slant and a black Grande OC!
What got me interested in them was the wanting of another slant. I have a Yaqi slant and used it for the first time a couple days ago. The shave was incredibly close (not very smooth)!
But that shave got me going on trying out other slants. I read positive things about the "FOCS" and figured that for the price, I might as well try it. And the Grande OC: Well it's not a slant but it was cheap enough to try out a Fatip non-slant as well. Got them both on sale through Pasteur for a grand total of $53. I anxiously await their arrival!
Another thing that also attracted me to Fatip (believe it or not) is the quirkiness that they seem to posses. Sometimes that makes things more interesting and gives them more character. Alfa Romeo anyone?
So bottom line: Made in Italy, brass and cheap!
Sounds pretty charming to me!

@LRod guess that it's true "great minds think alike" :) although my reference was inspired by traditional euro-aversion towards Italian cars (same as for Fatip) love-hate relationship. Either superb, either mediocre, eiter spot-on, either full of bugs.
Nevertheless, my Fatip experience is more-less on top of the grade-scale. Let's say 8.5-9.5/10 score, depending on my progress and technique alignment. I do shave with a shallow angle (riding the cap) so I find that working well and gentle to my face. Also, some brush-investment did pay off, and now I can daily shave with Piccolo, often in 2 pass if needed. Not much of iritation, unless I pop my acne and then shave it off, making bloody mess, but still I think I never had severe cut or razor burn with Piccolo. Positive blade exposure does helps to lift some stubborn whiskers, and removing any additional pressure helps.
I'm bit sorry for black-coating peeled off, that's my Alfa Romeo issue. Blade alignment is about great any time, I find that some blades have larger cutouts, so they wiggle more/less, but I rarely pay special attention to alignment or do manual centering. It is how it is, and it works. When I stick with Piccolo and same blade for ~month, I end up on just popping new blades without looking and never face any issues. Guess I learned to drive my "Alfa" :)

img_20220703_065504-jpg.1482111

I reused image from GRUME July 2022 post, to show the wear marks, still - nothing lost performance wise.

Update on my two Fatip's after having them for a few days. I really love the classic OC. The slant OC was not as smooth for me but still excellent. The OC has to be aligned but the slant does not. No big deal for me though. It takes a few seconds. It shaves so good that the alignment issue doesn't bother me and I was expecting it anyways. I can't fault it for anything else!
The Fatip's have made me question my expensive razors and what role they fill and why they even exist, Lol!!
I have since ordered a closed comb grande to try out as well. We'll see how it is when it arrives this week (as cheap as they are, I might as well try all the heads out).
Bottom line is that I really really love the Fatip's!

Last edited:
@saj1985 just checked - March '21 so bit over a 15 months, lets say at least 2 shaves per week, worth usage. Risk was calculated, as I was more curious about Fatip and offer on this was a bargain to tryout both SB and OC, can't complain really. Would I buy again? Another Fatip? Tough call, shave exp. is unique, so I would like to keep one around, would I get nickel/gold now - yes, for sure 😁

Still I like this scruffy vintage look, won't replace it until totaly broken down or severely damaged.

@saj1985 just checked - March '21 so bit over a 15 months, lets say at least 2 shaves per week, worth usage. Risk was calculated, as I was more curious about Fatip and offer on this was a bargain to tryout both SB and OC, can't complain really. Would I buy again? Another Fatip? Tough call, shave exp. is unique, so I would like to keep one around, would I get nickel/gold now - yes, for sure 😁

Still I like this scruffy vintage look, won't replace it until totaly broken down or severely damaged.
the razor itself looks nice and i wanted it with the two head and i appreciate that you get wear and tear etc from usage but yea it is what it is mate and at least you can remember you got the usage out of it lol

you know you got me thinking, is it possible to like spray paint razors at all? or paint it some how? i got no idea how it works but you got me thinking mate lol

I think I said this before. These Fatip's are so cheap that I can justify replacing one very year if necessary. Still cheaper than expensive razors and they do a fantastic job. And remember, for those that want the special edition because of the two heads:
Golden Beards sells their version (it's a Fatip Piccolo) and it's gold coated so you won't have the black wearing off.
I'm not interested in it since I'd rather buy separate razors but for those that are, I found that they have it on Amazon and it's shipped from the USA out of an Amazon warehouse. For those in the USA, it's better than ordering from Golden Beards which are overseas:

Shave report on my new closed comb Grande Chrome Fatip:
My usual 2 pass WTG/XTG nightly shave,
Wilkinson Sword (German) blade
TOBS Cedarwood shaving cream

My main reason for buying this one was to meet my goal of trying out the four Fatip heads. I have one left to try and buy (the closed comb slant).
To be brief, the shave was essentially the same as with the OC classic with a couple of differences.
1. The OC is a tad smoother. I think since these razors have barely any blade gap, the closed comb kind of puts the brakes as you run it across your face. One other thing to note is that the OC has more blade feel.
2. The closed comb doesn't take and spread the lather as the OC does. I might have to adjust my lather for this one and make it more wet by adjusting my usual water/lather ratio. This created some areas that were shaved with no issues but with less lather since the head didn't properly spread it.

Other than that, it was a great shave with the same close and efficient results as the OC.
I yet to understand what magic Fatip has since it's got barely any blade gap. And on the closed comb you can't barely see the blade exposed. But it mows down the growth like my aggressive razors. The closed comb had zero blade alignment issues vs. the OC that needs some tweaking.
I ended up with a near BBS shave with absolutely no issues.

So far my favorites in order are:
1. Classic Open Comb Grande
2. Testina Gentile (Closed Comb) Grande
3. La Storto (slant) Open Comb

LRod

Shave report on my new closed comb Grande Chrome Fatip:
My usual 2 pass WTG/XTG nightly shave,
Wilkinson Sword (German) blade
TOBS Cedarwood shaving cream

My main reason for buying this one was to meet my goal of trying out the four Fatip heads. I have one left to try and buy (the closed comb slant).
To be brief, the shave was essentially the same as with the OC classic with a couple of differences.
1. The OC is a tad smoother. I think since these razors have barely any blade gap, the closed comb kind of puts the brakes as you run it across your face. One other thing to note is that the OC has more blade feel.
2. The closed comb doesn't take and spread the lather as the OC does. I might have to adjust my lather for this one and make it more wet by adjusting my usual water/lather ratio. This created some areas that were shaved with no issues but with less lather since the head didn't properly spread it.

Other than that, it was a great shave with the same close and efficient results as the OC.
I yet to understand what magic Fatip has since it's got barely any blade gap. And on the closed comb you can't barely see the blade exposed. But it mows down the growth like my aggressive razors. The closed comb had zero blade alignment issues vs. the OC that needs some tweaking.
I ended up with a near BBS shave with absolutely no issues.

So far my favorites in order are:
1. Classic Open Comb Grande
2. Testina Gentile (Closed Comb) Grande
3. La Storto (slant) Open Comb

LRod
Thanks for your feedback and much valued comparisson between Fatips 🏅🤗
Agree 100% on testina gentile, only reason I gave it away was basically same shave feel as with R89, not more efficient, same smooth, comfy, but still - "duplicate" so I found no reason to have both. OCs are something that Fatip is incompareable IMHO, the curvature of the head, blade bend, efficiency, look and feel, that fine slope when shaving makes really no issues in achieving great results. Grande has more appealing handle, Lo Storto as well, just mesmerizing too look at and for most people might be more comfortable to hold. Prices are just unbeatable for that shave quality and enough to turn a blind eye on minor imperfections.

Wish you many BBS shaves with this one! 👏

the razor itself looks nice and i wanted it with the two head and i appreciate that you get wear and tear etc from usage but yea it is what it is mate and at least you can remember you got the usage out of it lol

you know you got me thinking, is it possible to like spray paint razors at all? or paint it some how? i got no idea how it works but you got me thinking mate lol
I guess it's possible but believe that result would be the same. For proper metal painting some complex metalurgical process would be required (electrolitic i.e. to bind coating/color with the metal) this was issue with Fatip as it's like regular painting with protective film.
Muhle on other hand uses DLC (diamond like carbonization) to coat their metal and this process is much higher in quality as well as in price. Don't know if there are some available methods to DIY.

Agree 100% on testina gentile, only reason I gave it away was basically same shave feel as with R89, not more efficient, same smooth, comfy, but still - "duplicate" so I found no reason to have both.
That's funny that you had that experience (compared to the R89 which I've never tried). I still got the same efficiency that the OC gives with the Testina Gentile. Different feel but same results! 2 pass and an almost BBS shave! Like I said, I can't figure out how that head works to give those results. And I'm someone that has and likes aggressive & blade forward razors! I have a problem area next to my goatee that's my (first pass) gauge for how efficient a razor works. The Fatip (both of them) mowed it down on the first pass! I've never had that happen with any other supposedly mild razor. I've tried mild razors like the Merkur's, Parkers etc.., and would need multiple passes to achieve the results of the closed comb Fatip. I guess the point is that it works for me and no reason to try to figure out why. It just works!
Italian magic I guess, LOL!!

That's funny that you had that experience (compared to the R89 which I've never tried). I still got the same efficiency that the OC gives with the Testina Gentile. Different feel but same results! 2 pass and an almost BBS shave! Like I said, I can't figure out how that head works to give those results. And I'm someone that has and likes aggressive & blade forward razors! I have a problem area next to my goatee that's my (first pass) gauge for how efficient a razor works. The Fatip (both of them) mowed it down on the first pass! I've never had that happen with any other supposedly mild razor. I've tried mild razors like the Merkur's, Parkers etc.., and would need multiple passes to achieve the results of the closed comb Fatip. I guess the point is that it works for me and no reason to try to figure out why. It just works!
Italian magic I guess, LOL!!
The Fatip OC is similar in design to the Gillette Old Type, but shaves smoother. In fact, many people feel the OC actually shaves smoother than the Gentile. The Gentile also has a narrower effective shaving angle. So, for many people, there's little reason to use the Gentile when the OC is available.

Part of the secret to the smoothness of this razor is good blade support which keeps the blade held rigid out almost to the edge. The geometry does not rely on blade gap so much as many modern razors. If you want to try an "Old Type with gap" you might like the Gillette NEW Short Comb razor. They can be found in good shape for a bit less than the price of a new Fatip.

Thanks for the great review. I definitely think that the Fatip Piccolo is the most under appreciated razor on the market. I don't get why this beauty doesn't get more love. I've had the SE for over a year and never had a bad shave. I use the OC all the time. I love the handle size and weight. Full disclosure, I have had issues with the finish on the top cap which was disappointing at first because it is such a beautiful razor. The performance, however, more than makes up for it.

Thanks for the great review. I definitely think that the Fatip Piccolo is the most under appreciated razor on the market. I don't get why this beauty doesn't get more love. I've had the SE for over a year and never had a bad shave. I use the OC all the time. I love the handle size and weight. Full disclosure, I have had issues with the finish on the top cap which was disappointing at first because it is such a beautiful razor. The performance, however, more than makes up for it.
The OC slant that I bought is a Piccolo. The only issue I have is the handle size which is way to small for me. It's under 3" and I need a handle that's 3"+. So the others, I've opted for the Grande (perfect handle size for me). In terms of performance, I'm honestly blown away by these razors. It might be underappreciated but I can't appreciate it more. I guess some have an issue with QC, blade alignment etc..
No big deal for me: A few seconds for blade alignment and if the finish eventually tarnishes, I'll buy another one. They're cheap enough to classify as practically disposable in the longer term. I just ordered a fourth one (OC nickel Grande).
Was your top cap issue from a black one?
(I've avoided buying that one)
Curious since I've read that it's the one that commonly has that issue. The Gold, chrome & nickel ones seem to not have any finish issues.

...I don't get why this beauty doesn't get more love. I've had the SE for over a year and never had a bad shave. I use the OC all the time. I love the handle size and weight...
I think it is mostly finish issues and somewhat loose tolerances. Some people have trouble adjusting to these razors and don't get a great shave from them. There's also a lot of badmouthing from a few and that can turn people off.

The performance is the best thing about these razors. You don't get really get perfect fit and finish in an all-brass razor for $25. I'm OK with that.

Last edited:
I agree that the Fatip open comb razors, both traditional and slant, are a pleasure to use and produce close shaves. Unfortunately for me, I cannot use them regularly without irritating my neck. I have tried multiple times, but after a couple of shaves I inevitably wind up with significant irritation. I can shave daily with a Muhle R41 or the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant without irritation, but not a Fatip open comb.

Same here. Had I known better (I knew from reviews but they soared to be dated and I have seen suggestions that QC was up) I would have gone with the all golden one by Golden Beards. It is rebranded but unmistakably a Fatip. Or I would have gone for a nickel OC and SB. Would have been the same price more or less.

That said, I like the two tone and still do even though finish is peeling off only a month after receiving it. Shaves like no other irrespective of finish. They make excellent razors!

Guido

Last edited:
Top Bottom