What's new

Fatip razor (pros & cons)

I agree that the Fatip open comb razors, both traditional and slant, are a pleasure to use and produce close shaves. Unfortunately for me, I cannot use them regularly without irritating my neck. I have tried multiple times, but after a couple of shaves I inevitably wind up with significant irritation. I can shave daily with a Muhle R41 or the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant without irritation, but not a Fatip open comb.
This I find an interesting observation Steve. Any thoughts on how this could be? Blade exposure seems similar (unless of course you have a 2011 R41) and the Fatip clamps more than the R41 does, so what could it be? I have shaved with the R41 myself for two or three times and I find the blade angle to my face harder to dial in compared to the Fatip which had more roundness to its design.

But I would expect them to have at least similar shaves. So very curious to know any insights you could share.

Thanks,

Guido

This I find an interesting observation Steve. Any thoughts on how this could be? Blade exposure seems similar (unless of course you have a 2011 R41) and the Fatip clamps more than the R41 does, so what could it be? I have shaved with the R41 myself for two or three times and I find the blade angle to my face harder to dial in compared to the Fatip which had more roundness to its design.

But I would expect them to have at least similar shaves. So very curious to know any insights you could share.

Thanks,

Guido
Hi Guido,

I have to say that I am completely stumped on this one. I keep buying Fatip razors and then ultimately selling them because of the irritation problem. My best guess is that I don't use the proper angle with the Fatip razors. Shaving angle is something that I purposely ignore - when I have tried to adjust it from what for me is the "natural angle" of the razor I usually wind up cutting myself. With other aggressive razors like the R41, Yaqi Aggressive Slant, Blackland Dart, etc. I think I just naturally find the right angle. With Fatip razors maybe that just doesn't happen.

But I'll probably wind up buying and trying a Fatip again at some point in the future.

Hm... regarding angles, I mentioned on some thread that I do find some agressive razors more "beginner friendly" compared to some mild razors, for same reason - Piccolo IMO allows more shave angles and they all work (with some comfort level) so even with steep, shallow, neutral angle it still shaves quite close and it's tricky to figure out which one is best for you (i.e. getting BBS but with irritation on neck but not on chin and vice versa). Personally, when I ride the cap the shaves are smooth like - there's no AS splash to cause burn, none! Simple, smooth, no nicks, 0 irritation. However I noticed that I'd get same quality of shave (efficiency) if go with more steeper angle (not much of sensitive skin to see drawback) but maybe is an issue for some people. Sloping of the blade was "hidden agression" for myself - wow no blade feel, let's speed up... ouch - a nick. There is def. some Fatip-specific efficiency hidden in geometry and head design and guess that each one of us will notice additional handling tricks for it.

For me it was much challenging to get used to R89, and it's narrow shave angle span, but when figured muscle-memory on it now it's nearly as efficient as Piccolo, go figure 🤔

Just Arrived from Pasteur:
Fatip Grande Testina Gentile (closed comb) in Chrome finish!
This will be my first go with Fatip's closed comb razors.
It's up for tonight's nightly shave:)

View attachment 1488127
ive got this razor and id say its ever so slightly more efficent then the de89 but really not much in it, nice razors too

which is the fourth one fatip you after? as the oc and slant both have the same head only difference on the grande and piccollo is the handles

I guess it's possible but believe that result would be the same. For proper metal painting some complex metalurgical process would be required (electrolitic i.e. to bind coating/color with the metal) this was issue with Fatip as it's like regular painting with protective film.
Muhle on other hand uses DLC (diamond like carbonization) to coat their metal and this process is much higher in quality as well as in price. Don't know if there are some available methods to DIY.
would love to try and spray paint a spare razor do 'pimp my razor' style mod but i think i'd fail miserably lol 🥲🥲🥲😅😅😅

Update on my two Fatip's after having them for a few days. I really love the classic OC. The slant OC was not as smooth for me but still excellent. The OC has to be aligned but the slant does not. No big deal for me though. It takes a few seconds. It shaves so good that the alignment issue doesn't bother me and I was expecting it anyways. I can't fault it for anything else!
The Fatip's have made me question my expensive razors and what role they fill and why they even exist, Lol!!
I have since ordered a closed comb grande to try out as well. We'll see how it is when it arrives this week (as cheap as they are, I might as well try all the heads out).
Bottom line is that I really really love the Fatip's!
Looks like we're very like-minded about the Fatip! These days a lot of razors are so over-engineered, over-hyped, over-marketed (especially maybe in the US-market?). And then look at the Fatip, so simple, so efficient!

the razor itself looks nice and i wanted it with the two head and i appreciate that you get wear and tear etc from usage but yea it is what it is mate and at least you can remember you got the usage out of it lol

you know you got me thinking, is it possible to like spray paint razors at all? or paint it some how? i got no idea how it works but you got me thinking mate lol
Spray painting is definitely possible: check 'The Razors Care' on Facebook. He 'restores' razors using Cerakote. Some of his razors are really stunning imho. I have no idea about the longevity of the paint though...

1657982103810.png
1657982020830.png

ive got this razor and id say its ever so slightly more efficent then the de89 but really not much in it, nice razors too

which is the fourth one fatip you after? as the oc and slant both have the same head only difference on the grande and piccollo is the handles
I ordered the classic OC Grande in nickel (arrived Monday). Same head and handle as my gunmetal black but wanted the different finish. My OC slant is a Piccolo which I dislike because the handle is too small. I'm sticking to the Grande's and Nobile's. I'm also looking at the IL Grosso. I tend to like medium sized handles. I've already studied all the variations in heads and handles. The only head missing to try is the closed comb slant but probably won't even try it. I really like the regular OC's!

The Fatip OC is similar in design to the Gillette Old Type, but shaves smoother. In fact, many people feel the OC actually shaves smoother than the Gentile. The Gentile also has a narrower effective shaving angle. So, for many people, there's little reason to use the Gentile when the OC is available.

Part of the secret to the smoothness of this razor is good blade support which keeps the blade held rigid out almost to the edge. The geometry does not rely on blade gap so much as many modern razors. If you want to try an "Old Type with gap" you might like the Gillette NEW Short Comb razor. They can be found in good shape for a bit less than the price of a new Fatip.
The way the cap hugs the blade against the comb... It can't move at all. I also believe that that might the main factor why it's so smooth. (Compared to eg. the Mühle R41).

Spray painting is definitely possible: check 'The Razors Care' on Facebook. He 'restores' razors using Cerakote. Some of his razors are really stunning imho. I have no idea about the longevity of the paint though...

View attachment 1489001View attachment 1489000
wow those look cool, will check it out

i think a lot of razor manufacturers are missing a trick by not offering a variety of colours

just look at fixie bikes theres a company where you can buy it with the components being whatever random colours you like, so makes it unique too

I ordered the classic OC Grande in nickel (arrived Monday). Same head and handle as my gunmetal black but wanted the different finish. My OC slant is a Piccolo which I dislike because the handle is too small. I'm sticking to the Grande's and Nobile's. I'm also looking at the IL Grosso. I tend to like medium sized handles. I've already studied all the variations in heads and handles. The only head missing to try is the closed comb slant but probably won't even try it. I really like the regular OC's!
which head is the IL grosso? sorry this can get confusing lol

i got the oc grande, oc slant piccollo and the grande testina closed comb

yea as many haver said on this thread you cant beat fatip when it comes to value for money but also the razors looks and feel stunning and the performance is really good too

ahh yea forgot about the closed comb slant, is that just like the testina but a slant version?

Two get a two tone, I combined the golden comb of my 'worn' special edition with the handle and cap of a newly bought nickel.

yea as many haver said on this thread you cant beat fatip when it comes to value for money but also the razors looks and feel stunning and the performance is really good too

ahh yea forgot about the closed comb slant, is that just like the testina but a slant version?
The Grosso has the same two Fatip heads: gentile (CC) or originale (OC). Gold or chrome versions only. It remains a mystery razor to me as it's still not listed on the Fatip website. Availability is also limited.

Last edited:
Reactions: saj
The Fatip OC is similar in design to the Gillette Old Type, but shaves smoother. In fact, many people feel the OC actually shaves smoother than the Gentile. The Gentile also has a narrower effective shaving angle. So, for many people, there's little reason to use the Gentile when the OC is available.

Part of the secret to the smoothness of this razor is good blade support which keeps the blade held rigid out almost to the edge. The geometry does not rely on blade gap so much as many modern razors. If you want to try an "Old Type with gap" you might like the Gillette NEW Short Comb razor. They can be found in good shape for a bit less than the price of a new Fatip.
i was also thinking why do most people go for the oc fatips instead of the closed comb testina,
especially newbies as the the oc is defo more efficient then the closed comb testina

Two get a two tone, I combined the golden comb of my 'worn' special edition with the handle and cap of a newly bought nickel.

The Grosso has the same two Fatip heads: gentile (CC) or originale (OC). Gold or nickel versions only. It remains a mystery razor to me as it's still not listed on the Fatip website. Availability is also limited.
ohh i get it, its the name for the special edition the black/gold one on amazon

gets confusing lol

Heads:
Classic OC
Testina gentile SB
La Storto (slant OC)
La Storto testina gentile (slant SB)
IL Grosso: possibly a modified OC or SB head from the original. No info available!

Handles:
Piccolo: the smallest one, 71mm
Grande: Longer and wider than Piccolo, 78mm
Storto: Slightly wider & longer and a different pattern than Piccolo, 75mm
Nobile: resin with flat bottom, 90mm
Wood: rounded bottom, 100mm
IL Grosso: The widest handle! 13mm width x 95mm length (doesn't show up yet on Fatip's website) but a couple companies are already selling them. From what I've read, the head has some modifications as well.

I think that's everything!

Well, I placed an order for the Fatip il Grosso OC in Gold!
This will be Fatip #5 and I think I'll stop there (for now). The only other head to try is the closed comb slant but I really have no interest in that one.
I guess I'll be a guinea pig for this one since barely no information exists for this razor.
The size & weight + the supposed head "improvements" are what got me interested.
I surprisingly sold a razor today and those funds fully covered this purchase:)
I bought it at Fendrihan and apparently it was the last one because it went out of stock as soon as I bought it.
$34.99 and free shipping starts at $35 🤣
I threw in a tuck of Nacets (which I've never tried) for $1.99 so that got me free shipping plus something that I'll actually use.
Fendrihan's like 45 minutes from me so it should arrive pretty quick. This is my first time ever buying from them!
I'll post the day it arrives and a shave report then!

Il Grosso.jpg

Last edited:
Heads:
Classic OC
Testina gentile SB
La Storto (slant OC)
La Storto testina gentile (slant SB)
IL Grosso: possibly a modified OC or SB head from the original. No info available!

Handles:
Piccolo: the smallest one, 71mm
Grande: Longer and wider than Piccolo, 78mm
Storto: Slightly wider & longer and a different pattern than Piccolo, 75mm
Nobile: resin with flat bottom, 90mm
Wood: rounded bottom, 100mm
IL Grosso: The widest handle! 13mm width x 95mm length (doesn't show up yet on Fatip's website) but a couple companies are already selling them. From what I've read, the head has some modifications as well.

I think that's everything!
youve confused me even more as i thought there were just two handles, piccollo and grande, now i threw my box away for my slant so now im unsure which one it is now lol

ill measure it but i think it came in a blue box but not 100% sure will try to measure it

Top Bottom