What's new

Fatip question.

101mm long and 10mm in diameter.
There have been two versions of the retro handle that I know of, shown below. The thinner one is the original, the thicker one is the current handle.

ret3.jpgret5.jpg

Fatip is known for pioneering innovation of varying tolerances.:tongue_sm

+1

I have a Mk2 Fatip branded Piccolo and a Mk1 Premax branded Piccolo.

Given that Consorzio Premax of Premana, Italy, which I believe still makes the Fatips, is a sort of cooperative of small metal shops, it isn’t surprising that YMMV in tolerances.

From the Fatip website (and google translate):

The production of the razor known today as Fatip was born in the early 1950s.
The razor immediately became extremely popular for its design and particular workmanship.

1980s. Ilario Fazzini, expert craftsman from Premana, introduces the FATIP brand, maintaining
the original aesthetic characteristics and at the same time inserting innovative processes aimed at increasing quality and performance.

Today the Fatip razor is used and appreciated all over the world for its style, handling and safety of the cut.
A "cult" tool, worthy representative of the Italian art of shaving.

“Premana is a village of craftsmen located 1000 meters above Lake Como. Production district renowned for the
very high quality production of: professional knives, scissors and cutting tools ".

endquote

I’m ready for the Fatip slant! (And have been since forever...)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
There have been two versions of the retro handle that I know of, shown below. The thinner one is the original, the thicker one is the current handle.

View attachment 1056072View attachment 1056073
+1

I have a Mk2 Fatip branded Piccolo and a Mk1 Premax branded Piccolo.

Given that Consorzio Premax of Premana, Italy, which I believe still makes the Fatips, is a sort of cooperative of small metal shops, it isn’t surprising that YMMV in tolerances.

From the Fatip website (and google translate):

The production of the razor known today as Fatip was born in the early 1950s.
The razor immediately became extremely popular for its design and particular workmanship.

1980s. Ilario Fazzini, expert craftsman from Premana, introduces the FATIP brand, maintaining
the original aesthetic characteristics and at the same time inserting innovative processes aimed at increasing quality and performance.

Today the Fatip razor is used and appreciated all over the world for its style, handling and safety of the cut.
A "cult" tool, worthy representative of the Italian art of shaving.

“Premana is a village of craftsmen located 1000 meters above Lake Como. Production district renowned for the
very high quality production of: professional knives, scissors and cutting tools ".

endquote

I’m ready for the Fatip slant! (And have been since forever...)
Fatip is its own entity and makes Fatip. Fatip is an anagram for Ilario Fazzini's family. Premax is the consortium, or artisan guild, that Ilario is a member of and is on the board of directors. There are still artisan guilds throughout Italy. Fatip makes the razors some of which are sold through Premax in support the artisan guild. How on earth did you come by a Premax Piccolo? I've been searching. Last I checked Premax didn't have any Fatips listed. It seems like he's selling less through Premax nowadays. If you can find me a link it just might get me booted of my year long 2020 Sabbatical. That would be helpful, I mean not helpful, or something like that. :001_smile

Last edited:
Yes, the heads are the same. They only make two. The Open Comb and Solid Bar. They are soon to release a slant in Open Comb and Solid Bar as well. The only difference is in weight and balance. The Retro handle is also so long you can almost pole vault with it in a pinch.
I think they changed the handle on the retro. I think it's really nice and is only 90mm long. They grip seems really nice. The balance is nice. I believe the older retro was longer. The ones in production now are thicker and shorter.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I think they changed the handle on the retro. I think it's really nice and is only 90mm long. They grip seems really nice. The balance is nice. I believe the older retro was longer. The ones in production now are thicker and shorter.
Here's a picture of my newest and older retro handles. Just to complicate things even further I have a third Retro handle where the length and diameter is in between the two I think. It's definetly thinner than the newest one I have pictured here. So, I have three different sized Retro handles of varying length and width. At some point I'll measure all three.

Here's a picture of two Retro handles. The one on the left is new. The one on the right is off an older Retro.

The newer handle is 101mm long and 10mm in diameter. Weighs 34g.

The older handle is 103mm long and 7mm in diameter. Weighs 26g

003_50.jpg

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
...if you have a possible forth one I'd like to see it. This would help to clarify, I mean confuse, the situation further lol. :wink2:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Wow I will check because mine does not seem near as long. About 90mm I'll check
Cool, Thank You! I just checked my third different handle length. I have Four Retros. Two are Mk1 in Chrome and Nickel, and two are Mk2 in Chrome and nickel. My Mk1 in nickel has the 103mm handle with a width of 7mm. The other is a Mk1 Retro in chrome which is within varying tolerances of my new ones (sort of). It's 98mm long with a wdth of 9mm compared to 101mm and a width of 10mm for both my chrome and nickel Mk2's. I'm genuinely confused.

Cool, Thank You! I just checked my third different handle length. I have Four Retros. Two are Mk1 in Chrome and Nickel, and two are Mk2 in Chrome and nickel. My Mk1 in nickel has the 103mm handle with a width of 7mm. The other is a Mk1 Retro in chrome which is within varying tolerances of my new ones (sort of). It's 98mm long with a wdth of 9mm compared to 101mm and a width of 10mm for both my chrome and nickel Mk2's. I'm genuinely confused.
Yea I was pleasantly surprised at the length. I was expecting a thin long handle and I got a somewhat thicker shorter handle. It's nice though, I do have big hands though so I'll take it apart and compare it to the razorock bulldog 90mm handle. I'll let you know.

I thought that the threads on the Fatip handle were slightly different than most other razors. Is this true or not?

The one thing about fatip that I think I'm starting to realize is everyone should be a little different. You should expect this if they are hand made. If they all were exactly the same that would concern me about being hand made, or crafted. I'm mainly talking about the setting of the blade complaints, the platting complaints and other things like that, not saying anyone is complaining here, just that is the complaints fatip get a lot.

Will a RazoRock handle fit on the Fatip? If I remember correctly Fatip uses a slightly different thread.

No it won't, I was just going to compare the length, knowing the razorock bulldog is 90mm. Are you looking for a different fatip handle?

No, I like the retro handle. I think it's really nice. I will end up getting the piccolo again at some point. At first I felt like that handle was short so I exchanged it for the retro, but now I want both.

I was looking for something a little more "grippy".

Top Bottom