What's new

Fatip question.

IIRC, the old one is 18mm and the new one is 19mm, approximately. Some people who have the SE version have reported a slightly wider cap.

Another figure that sticks in my head is that there is about 1mm difference between v1 and v2. Were you experimenting with frankenrazors, maybe? I don't remember anyone reporting 20mm.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Fatip is known for pioneering innovation of varying tolerances.:tongue_sm Usually the Mk1 is roughly 18mm give or take. The early Mk2's are 19mm give or take. The newer Mk2's fall in around 19.5 to 20mm (which I really like for even more blade rigidity). I'd have to see the cap to judge if it is a Mk1 or Mk2. The Mk1 is notably more rounded.

Fatip is known for pioneering innovation of varying tolerances.:tongue_sm Usually the Mk1 is roughly 18mm give or take. The early Mk2's are 19mm give or take. The newer Mk2's fall in around 19.5 to almost 20mm (which I really like for even more blade rigidity). I'd have to see the cap to judge if it is a Mk1 or Mk2. The Mk1 is notably more rounded.

Both razors are new. Just bought this month. Your answer makes the most sense.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Both razors are new. Just bought this month. Your answer makes the most sense.
Where did you buy these razors? It is technically possible you got one nos Fatip Mk1 though highly unlikely. I did get a nos Fatip Mk1 Retro a year ago from Maggards. They had some in Chrome. They stated on their website back then that this was a possibility until they were gone. My guess it's an early Mk2 with the 19mm cap on the take side of give or take. I'd sure like to see a photo if possible. If not I understand.

Where did you buy these razors? It is technically possible you got one nos Fatip Mk1 though highly unlikely. I did get a nos Fatip Mk1 Retro a year ago from Maggards. They had some in Chrome. They stated on their website back then that this was a possibility until they were gone. My guess it's an early Mk2 with the 19mm cap on the take side of give or take. I'd sure like to see a photo if possible. If not I understand.

I got the 18.5 at Maggards and the 20. at The Original Shaving Co.

Sorry it took so long. The one on the right is the 18.5 mm. I can see that the one on the right is more rounded as you said. Must be an Mk1.

fatip 2.jpg
Fatip1.jpg

I found this thread with side by side pictures and a table of measurements. Based on the shapes,it looks like you have a v2 and a v1.

fatip-ss.png

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Congrads, you have an Mk1 Grande. I'm really surprised Maggard had any in stock still. Mostly they are on the ball about selling new stock. I've ordered a few Grandes from them all new stock. To get the nos Mk1's most of us have had to go through "the German Vendor" on eBay. This does mean you do need a Grande Mk2 now as they shave so different. You can see how much rounder the cap on your Grande is compared to your Piccolo. The box is also the old Mk1 before they retooled. That's a rare catch nowadays.

Congrads, you have an Mk1 Grande. I'm really surprised Maggard had any in stock still. Mostly they are on the ball about selling new stock. I've ordered a few Grandes from them all new stock. To get the nos Mk1's most of us have had to go through "the German Vendor" on eBay. This does mean you do need a Grande Mk2 now as they shave so different. You can see how much rounder the cap on your Grande is compared to your Piccolo. The box is also the old Mk1 before they retooled. That's a rare catch nowadays.

The Piccolo was from Maggard's but the Grande was from 'The Original Shaving Co.'

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Is the head on the Fatip Retro the same as the Grande?
Yes, the heads are the same. They only make two. The Open Comb and Solid Bar. They are soon to release a slant in Open Comb and Solid Bar as well. The only difference is in weight and balance. The Retro handle is also so long you can almost pole vault with it in a pinch.

Top Bottom