What's new

Fatip Picolo and the R41 2011

I used the Fatip for 5 years before switching to the R41. The R41 is more aggressive and efficient. Some experience some tugging with the R41 but I haven't noticed it. The R41 has become my daily driver.

I used the Fatip for 5 years before switching to the R41. The R41 is more aggressive and efficient. Some experience some tugging with the R41 but I haven't noticed it. The R41 has become my daily driver.
You are talking about the 2011 version I take it?

I might note for the possible benefit of the OP that the current version of the Fatip is also notably milder than it's predecessor. Dtwitch19 is no doubt talking about the older version (MK1), given five years experience...actually according to what I've read, different editions of the MK1 varied considerably because of loose QC. But mine, fortunately, happens to seat evenly and consistently, and it is considerably more aggressive than my MK2 (which I ordered thinking it would be a spare, not realizing that it is really a different razor). I personally find the MK2 too mild to be tolerable.

I have both - the Mk 2 Piccolo and the 2013 R41 - and prefer the Piccolo because it shaves just as close as the R41, but is more forgiving. I also find the Piccolo easier to manoeuvre, and prefer its build quality and looks. The Mühle is a poor relation by comparison, but I do enjoy using it every so often.

While I was bloviating I should have noted that the current MK2 version of the Fatip is reported to very good QC, in contrast to the MK1.

Thank you for your reply. I like the R41 2011 but not for a daily driver.
Thank you for your reply and the input. Is the Piccolo a little smoother than the R41 2011 or do you have the 2013?

I have both - the Mk 2 Piccolo and the 2013 R41 - and prefer the Piccolo because it shaves just as close as the R41, but is more forgiving. I also find the Piccolo easier to manoeuvre, and prefer its build quality and looks. The Mühle is a poor relation by comparison, but I do enjoy using it every so often.
Thank you for your input!

I don't have a 2011 R41, but I do have the 2013 version and both Piccolos, Mk1 and Mk2. In aggressiveness I rate them as follows (most aggressive at the top):

Piccolo Mk1
R41 (2013)
Piccolo Mk2

I have a coarse beard so the rigidly held blade in the Piccolos suits me best. On my next shave with the R41, I'll use a shim between the blade and the baseplate to make the blade more rigid. If that doesn't work as well as I hope, the R41 will be straight in the PIF box.

Since Fatip's retooling, all three parts of the latest (Mk2) Piccolo are slightly different (improved). That's good apart from the fact that I prefer the more aggressive 18mm wide cap on the Mk1 to the 19mm wide cap on the Mk2. I regularly shave with both my Piccolos and love them dearly.

upload_2017-6-21_21-4-43.png
:001_wub:

I don't have a 2011 R41, but I do have the 2013 version and both Piccolos, Mk1 and Mk2. In aggressiveness I rate them as follows (most aggressive at the top):

Piccolo Mk1
R41 (2013)
Piccolo Mk2

I have a coarse beard so the rigidly held blade in the Piccolos suits me best. On my next shave with the R41, I'll use a shim between the blade and the baseplate to make the blade more rigid. If that doesn't work as well as I hope, the R41 will be straight in the PIF box.

Since Fatip's retooling, all three parts of the latest (Mk2) Piccolo are slightly different (improved). That's good apart from the fact that I prefer the more aggressive 18mm wide cap on the Mk1 to the 19mm wide cap on the Mk2. I regularly shave with both my Piccolos and love them dearly.

View attachment 798394 :001_wub:
What a beautiful razor!! I like the R41 2011,but it's not the smoothest shaver. I heard the Piccolo is aggressive and smooth YMMV I know..The 2013 version of the R41 is a tad bit less aggressive I heard..I quess I will have to buy the Piccolo to see for myself. I was also looking at the Schone,Grande and Gentile razors too!!Thank you for your reply sir.
Frank M.

Yes let me clarify. I have an older model Fatip that was a limited buy on here and I don't remember the model. It must be the MK1. I have to do some eyeballing to align the blade but it's a wonderful razor. And yes I have the 2013 R41. I tried the 2011 but it was a madman.

Yes let me clarify. I have an older model Fatip that was a limited buy on here and I don't remember the model. It must be the MK1. I have to do some eyeballing to align the blade but it's a wonderful razor. And yes I have the 2013 R41. I tried the 2011 but it was a madman.
The 2011 version is a madman. I think the MK2 is the new and improved version without the QC issues?? I take it the MK1 is less aggressive than the R1 2013. Maybe I should buy the 2013 head..I will end of getting the newer Piccolo...Thank you!

I've got the old version of the FaTip piccolo, and both versions of the R41. I haven't used the FaTip or the 2013 version of the R41 for a while, as I decided long ago that the 2011 R41 gave me a closer, longer-lasting shave than the other two. My face must be aberrational, as I don't find the 2011 R41 unduly aggressive. If my face wants aggressive, I go with an Ikon Tech or a PAA DOC Evolution in stainless. But everyone's different.

I've got the old version of the FaTip piccolo, and both versions of the R41. I haven't used the FaTip or the 2013 version of the R41 for a while, as I decided long ago that the 2011 R41 gave me a closer, longer-lasting shave than the other two. My face must be aberrational, as I don't find the 2011 R41 unduly aggressive. If my face wants aggressive, I go with an Ikon Tech or a PAA DOC Evolution in stainless. But everyone's different.

My experience is similar but not the same.

2011 R41 beats any version of FaTip and in my case is a better/closer shave than the Ikon Tech.

Rarely use anything but the 2011 R41 these days.

My experience is similar but not the same.

2011 R41 beats any version of FaTip and in my case is a better/closer shave than the Ikon Tech.

Rarely use anything but the 2011 R41 these days.

We don't disagree. All I said was the Ikon Tech is more aggressive, not more efficient. To me, efficiency is how close and long-lasting the shave is. Aggressiveness is how blade-forward, and "tugging," the shave is. As to what "beats" what, it depends on what you're looking for, in my book.

We don't disagree. All I said was the Ikon Tech is more aggressive, not more efficient. To me, efficiency is how close and long-lasting the shave is. Aggressiveness is how blade-forward, and "tugging," the shave is. As to what "beats" what, it depends on what you're looking for, in my book.
I agree too.

A point of information that may appear a digression..but not really...five years ago one of the hot new aggressive razors mentioned in the same breath as these two was the SABI T1..when the usual vendors stopped distribution (Mastiff was same head) it kinda vanished from the discussion....but .it's still available as the Boss razor on Amazon for $15 and while in the same league (especially shimmed) as the R41 and Piccolo in terms of efficiency, it's vastly superior in terms of build to the Italian job, and I prefer the shave to the Muhle. Perhaps even better, match the SABI cap to a Pearl (Jaws) OC baseplate ($8). Can't. Go. Wrong. Even if you just put the handle on the R41. But you'd be missing out.

proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A point of information that may appear a digression..but not really...five years ago one of the hot new aggressive razors mentioned in the same breath as these two was the SABI T1..when the usual vendors stopped distribution (Mastiff was same head) it kinda vanished from the discussion....but .it's still available as the Boss razor on Amazon for $15 and while in the same league (especially shimmed) as the R41 and Piccolo in terms of efficiency, it's vastly superior in terms of build to the Italian job, and I prefer the shave to the Muhle. Perhaps even better, match the SABI cap to a Pearl (Jaws) OC baseplate ($8). Can't. Go. Wrong. Even if you just put the handle on the R41. But you'd be missing out.

proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
That's very interesting. Five or four years ago I bought the Sabi T1 and the Cadet razors, both really just for the sake of the handles. Tried shaving once with one of the two (can't remember which) when I wasn't yet acquainted with any aggressive razors, and didn't have a good experience. (My real introduction to that world was the 2011 R41, which in a fit of perversity that paid off, I stubbornly stuck to.) Have used the Sabi handle ever since, but now I don't know if which of my assorted razor parts that head is. If I can figure it out, I will try the cap with my Pearl base plate.

As an aside, the old Sabi handle is one of the few that fit the Fatip.

Top Bottom