What's new

FaTip Piccolo Special Edition

Nice! I thought it best if I went with the standard Pic in the end, seeing as I'd also slipped an ikon X3 in my basket too!

That sounds like a lot of shaving fun ahead of you!

I'm guilty of putting other things in my basket, too:
300 Asco (Orange Pack) blades, a 120g Lea alum block and an Omega S10083. It is a hobby, after all. :001_smile

I thought about getting the standard Pic but in the end thought that I might benefit from the Gentile plate. I have no open comb experience, so for me this is the beginning of a great adventure! I'm secure in the knowledge that if for some unfathomable reason things go horribly wrong then I have my faithful Rockwell 6c to fall back on.

Last edited:
Mine arrived today to join the rest of the fatip razors mk2 as well as mk1. Can't wait to use it !
proxy.php

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I love both the original open comb and the more recent testina gentile and this is a good deal but.....
damn, this color combination hurts my eyes. It is so 'the godfather' bad taste. Sorry.

I love both the original open comb and the more recent testina gentile and this is a good deal but.....
damn, this color combination hurts my eyes. It is so 'the godfather' bad taste. Sorry.
"Bad Taste" is a subjective matter. If we all liked the same thing then life would be dull and that thing would be very expensive.
It's truly hideous, agreed.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

There are studies having to to do with color combination and symmetry and perceptions of beauty, and I can say without digging too deep just where this combination would fall on the bell curve. Obviously some people find it attractive, My sainted mother would have liked this. Would go nicely with this table she fake gold leafed in the early 70s.
"Bad Taste" is a subjective matter. If we all liked the same thing then life would be dull and that thing would be very expensive.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Well, it came today!
Sadly I had shaved already but tomorrow will be fun.
Having held it in my hand I can say that to me this is a beautiful razor with a pleasing "weightiness".
Which plate to use first? I think I'll start off with the Gentile and reserve the other for when "OCtober 2018" begins. It will be a valuable learning experience.

Let us know how it works out for you. :p
Here you go:
First shave with the Piccolo Special edition using the Gentile plate, hampered a bit by my having caught a bug, which put me off.
After three passes ATG I ended up with what could have been a BBS, but I spoilt it. There was a tiny area that I missed completely - my fault entirely.
I feel that this setup delivers as clean a shave as the Rockwell 6c on R6. This razor is more agile somehow and is much easier to use between the nose and upper lip. However I let the shave down today - I feel sure that the razor could do better if I was feeling more like my normal self. Operator error - bah!
The "Gentile" name is very appropriate - a smooth shave with no nicks, weepers or irritation. This makes it ideal for "a shave in a hurry" when needed. It does not allow "chatter" and does not skip, even on neck area "folds".
The blade was a fresh Asco (Orange pack), soap Arko, brush Omega 10083 S-Brush Pro.
This razor is a pleasure to use, and this was a great start marred by human error.

Last edited:
Here you go:
First shave with the Piccolo Special edition using the Gentile plate, hampered a bit by my having caught a bug, which put me off.
After three passes ATG I ended up with what could have been a BBS, but I spoilt it. There was a tiny area that I missed completely - my fault entirely.
I feel that this setup delivers as clean a shave as the Rockwell 6c on R6. This razor is more agile somehow and is much easier to use between the nose and upper lip. However I let the shave down today - I feel sure that the razor could do better if I was feeling more like my normal self. Operator error - bah!
The "Gentile" name is very appropriate - a smooth shave with no nicks, weepers or irritation. This makes it ideal for "a shave in a hurry" when needed. It does not allow "chatter" and does not skip, even on neck area "folds".
The blade was a fresh Asco (Orange pack), soap Arko, brush Omega 10083 S-Brush Pro.
This razor is a pleasure to use, and this was a great start marred by human error.
nice. Hope to grab one soon.:D:D

Well my Piccolo arrived and I've given it a test drive. Whilst it gives an 'ok' shave, I just can't get on with the handle. Great weight, but just a tad too small for my hands. Oh well, you live and learn! :)

Well my Piccolo arrived and I've given it a test drive. Whilst it gives an 'ok' shave, I just can't get on with the handle. Great weight, but just a tad too small for my hands. Oh well, you live and learn! :)
Sorry to hear that. How do you hold it? I use my thumb on one side and the two fingers next to the thumb on the other, which works for me. However , my hands are small. I don't feel the need to have the end of the handle against my palm or anything like that.
In any event I'm sorry that this didn't work out for you.

As Grande is my main De razor, I couldn't resist to getting the special edition for such a nice price.

Unfortunately the love of Grande handle has made me use the gentile plate from Special Edition with my grande handle. A Gentile razor, but with unmatched colors. Anyway this is forgiven I guess in the Fatip line.

The shave was close, nice but still needs its own technique, as it is not that gentle as it seems.

I will use the piccolo handle for sure, these coming days.

To all new wetshavers, get this Special Edition. It is such a nice deal at a very affordable price. I wish it was released sooner.

I think I am done trying De razors.

The finish looks different than most razors and it is very unique. I’ve gone back and forth on whether to buy a Fatip because I already have quite a number of razors already. If I was to get one, I think I would get the SE because I like the contrasting finishes. If I didn’t like the finish, I would simply buy an all nickel or gold plated one.

There are plenty of pictures of the SE online to make that decision before buying one and thinking it is ugly upon arrival.

Top Bottom