What's new

Fatip Piccolo SE vs Parker 111w

Hy people,

I am new at this forum in sense of being active member, but I have red numbers of your posts and threads, and I always enjoy reading your experiences and thoughts concerning classic shaving. In my opinion, this is definitely the best forum about classic shaving. So, as first, I want to say hello to all of you people.

The reason I decided to write this thread is to share some of my experiences and (might be subjective) thoughts with you, and maybe help someone who is in some dilemma regarding those razors.

I’ve been using DE razors for about two years. My first, and until few days the only DE razor was Parker 111w, a great 3 piece closed comb antique looking razor. 111w is pretty aggressive razor, giving you feel of being shaved with shavette, very efficient and most of times all that was needed for shave close to BBS was two passes WTG, and sometimes (when paired with fresh feather blade) the only one pass WTG would be sufficient for a very good shave (I have pretty coarse facial hair). My only problem with this razor was its head being made of zamak, and since day one, the plating on threads was not perfect (overall finish and plating on that razor is excellent) so, after each shave, I have been disassembling and cleaning the razor just to try to prolong its life span. I was so happy with this Parker, I was thinking about purchasing another, just to have spare head in case this one breaks.

But then, I decided to go different way and purchased Fatip piccolo SE and Muhle 103r (haven’t tried yet :D ). I decided to try Fatip first.

Fatip looks marvelous, it looks almost like jewelry, and that SE combination of dark gray and gold are just irresistible. It is a heavy razor that feels extremely solid and quality in hand, with great balance and nice grip. I loaded it with Gillette platinum (didn’t dare to go with Feather for the first try) and was looking myself in the mirror, holding Fatip in my hand, wondering what I will look like after the shave (felt like looking at my face for the last time :D ). Fatip looks very aggressive with all those golden teeth, so I honestly did not now what to expect . So I started to shave very carefully, and yes, I felt the shevette like feel of shaving too, it is also aggressive razor, which I knew. I went two passes WTG and after I finished the shaving, I was amazed. That razor gave me such a close shave with absolutely no irritation or any other negative side effect, not even in traces. Second shave (two days later) I went with one pass WTG and second ATG and the result was, if not the best shave I ever had, then probably the best shave since I grew my mid age whiskers :D In addition with it all being made of brass, giving me freedom to leave the razor assembled till the blade change, the Fatip is definitely is going to be my daily shaver from now on.

To summarize, Parker 111w and Fatip piccolo SE are both excellent razors. Aggression wise they are very close to each other, and I think the Parker might be just slightly more aggressive, but cannot tell for sure. Efficiency wise, hard to tell again, but Fatip might be a bit more efficient, probably due to its smaller head which is easier to maneuver with, especially when going ATG. I have a feeling (but it is still early to say for sure) that Parker might be more efficient when going with just single pass WTG, but when going WTG + ATG, I would say that Fatip is better.

That is from me for now, I will update you with new impressions as time goes on, and as I try new blades in Fatip. Second blade, I am planning to try in this gem is Feather, just to see how they pair (Feather went great paired with Parker) and after that, I’ll try (for the first time ever) Israeli Presonna.

I hope that I maybe helped someone with this thread and anyway, I wish to all of you nice and pleasant rest of the weekend.

Regards!!!!

Hi people, it's me again :)

This morning I've paired Fatip with Feather blade, and that definitely was a dream team. After a single WTG pass, it was much more than SAS, but I couldn't resist, and went another ATG and I ended up with a great BBS with absolutely no irritation, no weepers or anything else which could be considered as bad. Every time I use Feather, I ask myself why the hell am I buying any other blades... And the Fatip is definitely the best razor I have ever used! The Parker is great razor, and anyone considering buying one is not going to make a mistake, but Fatip is better. Maybe not by too much, but definitely better.

Can you please tell me, since it is much more practical for me to leave the blade in razor between the blade change (3-5 days) will I ruin this beautiful Fatip that way?

And regarding the Fatip's QC, I don't know whether I was lucky, or those great Spanish guys from www.yourshaving.com are performing some sort of their internal QC, or Fatip improved QC, but this piccolo SE has absolutely no issues with blade alignment, the blade is perfectly aligned once you place ti on top cap, and finish of the razor is just superb. To be honest, Parker I own doesn't align blade by it's own, but that wasn't an issue for me.

Another question for you guys, since I want to make another purchase from those guys I purchased these razors from, since they were really kind and very professional both regarding prices, communication and the delivery, I am considering a quality brush. And what they have in the offer, I am in dilemma between Zenith 27mm 506U TS, synthetic brush wit beautiful olive tree handle, and Semogue 1800 bore brush. What would you buy? I mostly to bowl lather.

Thank you in advance for suggestions,

And of course,

Have a nice day!!!

Regards!!!!

Hi people, it's me again :)

This morning I've paired Fatip with Feather blade, and that definitely was a dream team. After a single WTG pass, it was much more than SAS, but I couldn't resist, and went another ATG and I ended up with a great BBS with absolutely no irritation, no weepers or anything else which could be considered as bad. Every time I use Feather, I ask myself why the hell am I buying any other blades... And the Fatip is definitely the best razor I have ever used! The Parker is great razor, and anyone considering buying one is not going to make a mistake, but Fatip is better. Maybe not by too much, but definitely better.

Can you please tell me, since it is much more practical for me to leave the blade in razor between the blade change (3-5 days) will I ruin this beautiful Fatip that way?

And regarding the Fatip's QC, I don't know whether I was lucky, or those great Spanish guys from www.yourshaving.com are performing some sort of their internal QC, or Fatip improved QC, but this piccolo SE has absolutely no issues with blade alignment, the blade is perfectly aligned once you place ti on top cap, and finish of the razor is just superb. To be honest, Parker I own doesn't align blade by it's own, but that wasn't an issue for me.

Another question for you guys, since I want to make another purchase from those guys I purchased these razors from, since they were really kind and very professional both regarding prices, communication and the delivery, I am considering a quality brush. And what they have in the offer, I am in dilemma between Zenith 27mm 506U TS, synthetic brush wit beautiful olive tree handle, and Semogue 1800 bore brush. What would you buy? I mostly to bowl lather.

Thank you in advance for suggestions,

And of course,

Have a nice day!!!

Regards!!!!

Hi JoSk,

First off great that the Piccolo is working out so good for you.

I won't leave a blade in due to the possibility of galvanic corrosion. However, slight it is in time it might affect the surface. I would clean and dry the razor/blade before reassembling it.

The choice of brush would depend upon your soap too. A boar would be my first choice and the 1800 is great brush but it's more suited for face lathering from the comments but I'm sure it would be a very decent bowl brush.

Cheers,

mawashi

Hi JoSk,

First off great that the Piccolo is working out so good for you.

I won't leave a blade in due to the possibility of galvanic corrosion. However, slight it is in time it might affect the surface. I would clean and dry the razor/blade before reassembling it.

The choice of brush would depend upon your soap too. A boar would be my first choice and the 1800 is great brush but it's more suited for face lathering from the comments but I'm sure it would be a very decent bowl brush.

Cheers,

mawashi

Thank you very much for the answer mawashi, I'll disassemble the razor after shaving, after all it just an extra minute in my morning routine, and I really want to preserve this beautiful appearance of this razor.
Regarding brushes, thanks again, I'll definitely go with Semogue 1800, it is only 11€ and twice cheaper than Zenith...

Regards!!!!

Great write up!! Pleased that the new razor is working out so well!

To answer your question, choice of brush really depends on your personal preferences. I prefer the Semogue as I really prefer their boar brushes to synthetic! Others will certainly have different opinions.

Great write up!! Pleased that the new razor is working out so well!

To answer your question, choice of brush really depends on your personal preferences. I prefer the Semogue as I really prefer their boar brushes to synthetic! Others will certainly have different opinions.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I'm buying Semogue definitely. I will only have to get used on bore brush technique, since I have only used synthetic brushes till now (low quality ones). How long should it be left in water before use?

Thank you very much for the answer mawashi, I'll disassemble the razor after shaving, after all it just an extra minute in my morning routine, and I really want to preserve this beautiful appearance of this razor.
Regarding brushes, thanks again, I'll definitely go with Semogue 1800, it is only 11€ and twice cheaper than Zenith...

Regards!!!!

Hi JoSk,

My pleasure, I do remove n clean/dry the razor & blade simply because I too want to keep my razor in perfect condition and it helps extend the life of the blade especially if its carbon steel not stainless.

11€ is pretty sweet for the 1800.
I usually get my Italian n European gear from connaughtshaving.com I got a 10049 n 10104 for £12.25. As I only bowl lather having a super soft brush isn't a first priority, plus I'm pretty sure the brushes will break in and be so much softer soon.

Try this sticky on all things soap related :)
"STICKY" post for soaps -Need HELP? read this!

Cheers and happy shaves.

Hi JoSk,

My pleasure, I do remove n clean/dry the razor & blade simply because I too want to keep my razor in perfect condition and it helps extend the life of the blade especially if its carbon steel not stainless.

11€ is pretty sweet for the 1800.
I usually get my Italian n European gear from connaughtshaving.com I got a 10049 n 10104 for £12.25. As I only bowl lather having a super soft brush isn't a first priority, plus I'm pretty sure the brushes will break in and be so much softer soon.

Try this sticky on all things soap related :)
"STICKY" post for soaps -Need HELP? read this!

Cheers and happy shaves.

Thank you very much mawashi!!!

Glad you like the Fatip! I use a Schone, made by Fatip. The blade stays in for four shaves. No issues.

Enjoy your new brush. Wet only the boar hair, not the handle. Contrary to popular opinion, you do not need to soak.

I have the Parker 98R Super Heavyweight razor. I believe it has the same head as the 111W, but a different handle. It is definitely a more aggressive razor than the Edwin Jagger DE89/Muhle R89 razors. However, compared to something like a Muhle R41, it is significantly less aggressive.

If you are looking for an efficient razor that is not terribly aggressive, may I suggest the Parker 24C / 26C open comb razors. The 24C pared with a sharp blade like a Nacet or Personna Israeli Red is my favorite DE razor.

I have the Parker 98R Super Heavyweight razor. I believe it has the same head as the 111W, but a different handle. It is definitely a more aggressive razor than the Edwin Jagger DE89/Muhle R89 razors. However, compared to something like a Muhle R41, it is significantly less aggressive.

If you are looking for an efficient razor that is not terribly aggressive, may I suggest the Parker 24C / 26C open comb razors. The 24C pared with a sharp blade like a Nacet or Personna Israeli Red is my favorite DE razor.

Hey thanks very much for advices, I am sure that open comb Parkers are great, I love my closed comb Parker a lot too, but after I tried Fatip, I don't think I will want any other razor :D I yet have to try my new r103 (r41 head with tortoiseshell handle), but after have been shaving with Fatip since last Wednesday, I am not even curious how r103 performs :)
Actually, I will purchase another Piccolo, this time in nickel finish, together with Semogue 1800. Nickel plated Piccolo on www.yourshaving.com is only 13€, which is less than spare head for r41, and I really think it's a steal for a razor like that. And even if I decide I don't need another Piccolo, it can make a great gift to some of my friends, but I doubt they'll get it :D
Have to go now, to try to write few more lines of code before time to go to work comes ;)

Cheers people, you are all great!!!

Have a great day!!!

Have to thank to all you people who recommended me Semogue 1800. Have tried it this morning, the brush is a dream!!!!!

Top Bottom