What's new

(Fatip) Piccolo Lovers’ Club: PLC

My problem with the gentile is that it's very hard to hit the right angle to get proper blade feel on the ATG pass. That way I'm more careful with the classic piccolo as I feel the blade real good.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hey buddy, I thought the gentile was more gentle than the standard pic?
Hey mawashi the Gentile plate shaves much like the OC plate, but the window is very narrow. Either you feel the blade and it cuts efficiently, or you miss the angle and it cuts nothing. It isn't worth the trouble when the Piccolo OC just flows and seems to magically find the right angle.
prof

Hey mawashi the Gentile plate shaves much like the OC plate, but the window is very narrow. Either you feel the blade and it cuts efficiently, or you miss the angle and it cuts nothing. It isn't worth the trouble when the Piccolo OC just flows and seems to magically find the right angle.
prof

Hey Prof,

Ah now I get it, like a really extra mild tech or a feather asd2 not that's its too aggressive.

Happy shaves and thanks for the info.

Mawashi

I finally used the gentile plate on my SE. Details on The Daily Double

7CB13849-258D-4BDE-B9CE-7F4540859703.jpeg

You'll find these razors work much better when you load them with a blade John.

That explains the minimal feedback. Nice job on the touchup regardless! :001_rolle

Hey, the cap from my RazoRock SLOC fits the gentile plate pretty well. Frankentip? Or not? :idea: I’m looking to jazz up the gentile, but if I have to ditch the awesome Piccolo handle it’s probably not worth the effort. Maybe gentile + Mk1 cap... :wacko: So complicated.

I'm one of those people who has a hard time hitting the right angle for ATG with my Gentile baseplate. The prongs feel really smooth and nice to the skin, but hitting the atg angle is quite a pain.
However, I used to chisle with the open comb, and while I did master it, my skin feels sore after a couple of days of consecutive use.

So I'll stick with the gentile until I master that darn angle. It's quite suitable to be a daily driver.

I do have an issue with the SE's top cap though. I don't know why, but seems mr Fazzini has put a film over the black plating, and it's starting to peel of the top cap edges, taking the black coating with it. I'll still use it until it becomes butt ugly, but still, to all you who own it - how's the gold plating on the golden grande testina gentile plating holding up?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm one of those people who has a hard time hitting the right angle for ATG with my Gentile baseplate. The prongs feel really smooth and nice to the skin, but hitting the atg angle is quite a pain.
However, I used to chisle with the open comb, and while I did master it, my skin feels sore after a couple of days of consecutive use.

So I'll stick with the gentile until I master that darn angle. It's quite suitable to be a daily driver.

I do have an issue with the SE's top cap though. I don't know why, but seems mr Fazzini has put a film over the black plating, and it's starting to peel of the top cap edges, taking the black coating with it. I'll still use it until it becomes butt ugly, but still, to all you who own it - how's the gold plating on the golden grande testina gentile plating holding up?
I have the Piccolo SE and I have not had any issues with the plating.

I too found it tricky to keep the Gentile plate at the right angle, for me it was too much trouble. I have found the Piccolo OC plate seems to find the right angle and just flows around my jawline, and it is the most comfortable razor on my neck that I own. I can get a 1 pass DFS no problem as it is so efficient. YMMV
Prof

Yes. I have also now reverted to the open comb. There's really substantial blade feel, which automatically gives me a light touch and I subsequently get a much more comfortable and better shave than with a Gentile!

Yes, solid bar (I refer to it as closed comb usually, and wasn't aware of the abbreviation, sorry).

I said I get a more comfortable shave with the open comb than with a Gentile.

Yes, solid bar (I refer to it as closed comb usually, and wasn't aware of the abbreviation, sorry).

I said I get a more comfortable shave with the open comb than with a Gentile.

No need to apologise my friend I was wondering which was which when you mentioned OC but referred to the gentile plate.

Cheers

I guess I'm in! I spotted the Piccolo Special Edition at Maggard and got one. It arrived yesterday. Put a Kai blade in with the open comb (Cella soap, Zenith brush) and went to town. That's a really solid shave. I didn't push my luck on my trouble spots - want to get a better feel for the Fatip first - but overall I was very impressed. Nice, weighty razor yet deftly maneuverable. Audible feedback was loud, too!

I did notice that in the box, the teeth on one side seemed to be longer than on the other, but when I turned the top cap around and refitted it, both sides appeared even.

I'm saving the closed comb plate for when I use my vintage Barbasol brushless cream in a jar. The way its ridges are squarely scalloped makes me think it would work well on thick creams with a consistency of hard cold cream.

Heh. Thanks! It's just a Piccolo SE, if you've seen one you've seen them all. :D

I will say, though, on day three, that I have a very strong preference for the open comb plate. I used it on Tuesday, my first day, but hadn't quite finessed the angle even though I was impressed with the shave. I got a nicer shave today by riding the comb more rather than the cap. However, yesterday I tried it with the closed guard plate, and it didn't seem nearly as close or smooth. Probably requires more of an angle adjustment, but I'll save that for a weekend when I have time to study and linger. (I used the same Kai blade for all of these.)

I got a nicer shave today by riding the comb more rather than the cap. However, yesterday I tried it with the closed guard plate, and it didn't seem nearly as close or smooth.
I believe most of us Piccolo lovers tend to be guard riders. That's certainly the way I use mine, and what I recommend to Piccolo newbs. Check out the SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance). :wink2:

When this thread started the Gentile (SB) version of the Piccolo didn't exist. That only came into being when Fatip introduced the Piccolo Special Edition. And then the only plating option was nickel (the Henry Ford option).

I don't know how familiar you are with DE terminology, but here's an illustration anyway:
full

Keep us posted shoshani. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom