What's new

(Fatip) Piccolo Lovers’ Club: PLC

A photo of today’s shave:

image.jpg

Anyway, I purchased a Fatip Piccolo Gold from Spain and have it on the way. It might take anywhere from 2 to 25 weeks to arrive, so I will have to be patient. These were launched in December 2019, so I’m sure they will have the new top cap.
Indeed. Mk1 Piccolos only came in OC and Nickel Plating, with the good ol' ~18mm wide cap. Mk2 caps started at ~19mm wide and currently appear to vary from that up to 19.6mm.
Conclusion: I liked everything about the Fatip v1. I wish the blade exposure was not that big, just for the piece of mind... but it is a d*** fine shaver and everything about it is classy and vintage. Best $20 I’ve ever spent on a razor and I’m looking forward to using it again and of course receiving the Piccolo v2.
Excellent! :cornut:
A photo of today’s shave: ...
Welcome to the PLC, macintoshBR. :thumbup:

This razor is SMOOTH, despite the amount of blade exposure, which surprised me. I took my time and went very lightly, first WTG then only on my face a ATG pass for a BBS. No nicks, weepers or cuts.
I'm wondering if you're "really" referring to blade exposure... and think you might mean blade reveal. Please check the illustration below and let me know. Curious minds... :wink2:

1602421691272.png

I'm wondering if you're "really" referring to blade exposure... and think you might mean blade reveal. Please check the illustration below and let me know. Curious minds... :wink2:

Thanks for pointing that out. My bad. Based on this chart, blade exposure's a different animal, hard to measure with a naked eye. What I meant was the amount of blade "exposed" outside of the top cap, which in this chart seems to be referred as blade reveal, as you correctly understood.

The blade gap (and I assume the blade exposure too) is very small in the Fatip v1. It is held very tightly by the razor head, which I assume is one of the reasons why the shave is smooth.

Long story short, the v1 is a keeper and I am actually glad to have bought it in the end

The blade gap (and I assume the blade exposure too) is very small in the Fatip v1. It is held very tightly by the razor head, which I assume is one of the reasons why the shave is smooth.
Yep, unlike most OCs, the blade is clamped directly onto the guard (teeth) which results in a small gap and keeps the blade nice and rigid.

Here's a couple of old Mk1 and Mk2 pics showing the difference between their shaving angles (steep is always best IMO):

Angles-Piccolo-Mk1_2018-01-21_small.jpg
Angles-Piccolo-Mk2_2018-01-10_small.jpg

Second shave today with the Piccolo v1, after returning home from a road trip.

I don’t understand why this razor is considered aggressive by so many. 6th shave on the Nacet and it was a smooth, hassle-free, 1 pass DFS shave.

I am planning to use the Fatip exclusively for a few weeks, and if all goes well, I will retire my other razors.

Ok so I used the mk1 again, this time with a brand new Gilette Platinum blade

It’s my first time with this blade, so I don’t have other shaves to compare it to.

It was a very close shave again, but this time the razor felt more aggressive. I had two small weepers, one on my chin, other on my neck, which at this stage of my shaving life does not happen at all.

I will try the Platinum again on Tuesday, ensuring a proper prep and lather to confirm that the problem lies with the blade.

It was a very close shave again, but this time the razor felt more aggressive. I had two small weepers, one on my chin, other on my neck, which at this stage of my shaving life does not happen at all.
... till it did. :001_tongu
I will try the Platinum again on Tuesday, ensuring a proper prep and lather to confirm that the problem lies with the blade.
I would suggest that the problem is due to OM. :wink2:

Ahhhh the Piccolo... wow wow wow! This is the DE razor I've been looking for a long time. I've just finished an extremely close Tabactober shave in 1 pass (48 hours growth). No nicks this time.

Now I just need to understand how it will treat my skin on an ongoing basis. And of course compare it to the Mk2 and to the FOCS when they arrive :D

I got one of those in the mail this week :D I was a bit surprised how small handle is, I am used to Rockwell's hefty chunk of metal.

I did try it out, but it needs some dialing in.

It is my first OC razor so I loaded with Astra SP, because it is moderately sharp (usually I use Polsilver or Nacet). I also used new verison Haslinger Shafmilch fot the first time. Shave on my neck and face was great, with pronounced AS sting, more than usual. On my chin, shave was not close at all and I got 2 spots of razor burn, this is due improper tehnique.

I believe next time I use Polsilver and either Tabac or Stirling soap and let the Picollo show what it can do

I got one of those in the mail this week :D I was a bit surprised how small handle is, I am used to Rockwell's hefty chunk of metal.

I did try it out, but it needs some dialing in.

It is my first OC razor so I loaded with Astra SP, because it is moderately sharp (usually I use Polsilver or Nacet). I also used new verison Haslinger Shafmilch fot the first time. Shave on my neck and face was great, with pronounced AS sting, more than usual. On my chin, shave was not close at all and I got 2 spots of razor burn, this is due improper tehnique.

I believe next time I use Polsilver and either Tabac or Stirling soap and let the Picollo show what it can do

I can say that the Nacet pairs well with my Piccolo. Welcome to the club!

Piccolo v1 SOTD. Gillette Platinum is a very good blade. Maybe the Nacet was smoother.

Again I did a single WTG pass and my 48h growth was completely gone. I think I have found my holy grail.

funny thing is, I’ve spent more than 5 years very close to where Fatip is made, but never cared for it due to its fame. I’m now far from Como Lake, but I’m glad I’ve finally had the courage to try it. Can’t wait for my Piccolo gold

51B16DF3-F2BB-4530-8FCE-B03ED18CAC17.jpeg

I want to ask support from Piccolo experts. After 2 shaves with the Piccolo v2 and a handful more with the Testina Gentile, I have the preliminary impression that the v2 head is a little "rougher" than the v1 head.

It gets the job done, but I don't know.. so far my experience with the v1 Piccolo has been more pleasant. Smoother and more efficient. Keep in mind that I am using the same blade and prep.

Am I doing something wrong?

I want to ask support from Piccolo experts. After 2 shaves with the Piccolo v2 and a handful more with the Testina Gentile, I have the preliminary impression that the v2 head is a little "rougher" than the v1 head.
It's "horses for courses." Not most, but many, people prefer the Mk1. I say shave with the razor YOU prefer. :wink2:
It gets the job done, but I don't know.. so far my experience with the v1 Piccolo has been more pleasant. Smoother and more efficient. Keep in mind that I am using the same blade and prep.
It looks like the Mk1 has chosen you. :cornut:

Be happy that you've got one, as they're getting to be quite rare these days.
Am I doing something wrong?
No.

It's "horses for courses." Not most, but many, people prefer the Mk1. I say shave with the razor YOU prefer. :wink2:

It looks like the Mk1 has chosen you. :cornut:

Be happy that you've got one, as they're getting to be quite rare these days.

No.

You may be right, sir. I am not the person to jump to conclusions after only 2 shaves, but that was my initial impression.

Anyway, yesterday's shave was incredibly close. 14 hours later I was touching my face and in many areas I couldn't feel any stubble, which is not so common for me as I am a single pass + light touch ups shaver

First shave with a new piccolo. I was expecting something quite aggressive but to be honest I didn't notice a lot of difference with my Merkur open-comb, allegedly a much milder razor. No nicks, no burn, just a nice, smooth, easy shave.

I think we're going to get along very well :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom