What's new

FaTip Piccolo Handle

Anybody know what handles interchange with a piccolo? I don't like the short handle and I'd like to replace it with a longer one. Ikon OSS perhaps? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Spiez

The Piccolo handle is fantastic! Wish they sold them separately, it's easy to drill and tap to a bigger size. :thumbup1:

Other handles won't fit correctly, you may find one that will sort of screw on, but the Piccolo threads are smaller, and you may strip the threads.

The Piccolo handle is fantastic! Wish they sold them separately, it's easy to drill and tap to a bigger size. :thumbup1:

Other handles won't fit correctly, you may find one that will sort of screw on, but the Piccolo threads are smaller, and you may strip the threads.

What I don't like about the handle is that it is slippery as hell. It will do for now.

Anybody know what handles interchange with a piccolo? I don't like the short handle and I'd like to replace it with a longer one. Ikon OSS perhaps? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Spiez

The only handle that I was able to use with the Piccolo came off my Merkur 23C.

BTW, don't you have an Ikon X3? If so, how does it compare to the Piccolo?

Personally, I dont like the handle at all. Too slippery, too thin, so its made of brass. I have other nice handles to put on it, brass and stainless, but none of them work with that threading.

What I don't like about the handle is that it is slippery as hell. It will do for now.

The only handle that I was able to use with the Piccolo came off my Merkur 23C.

BTW, don't you have an Ikon X3? If so, how does it compare to the Piccolo?

Yes, I have an X3. It's definitely smoother and feels much more substantial in my hand. I got a great shave with it this morning.

Spiez

The T is not capitalized in Fatip. Also, they use a non-standard thread, so you will have to drill out a handle to make it work.

Yes, I have an X3. It's definitely smoother and feels much more substantial in my hand. I got a great shave with it this morning.

Spiez

Thanks for the reply...

Which one gives you a closer shave? Is there a big difference between these two as far as how they mow down a beard?

This is what I anticipate from what I've read: Piccolo gives a closer shave than the X3, but the X3 gives you a smother shave. Is this correct?

The piccolo handle is to thin and slippery for me also. I replaced it with a handle from a Gillette Fat Tech.

Bob

Thanks for the reply...

Which one gives you a closer shave? Is there a big difference between these two as far as how they mow down a beard?

This is what I anticipate from what I've read: Piccolo gives a closer shave than the X3, but the X3 gives you a smother shave. Is this correct?

The piccolo gives me irritation, so I really can't do a three pass shave. That being said, the X3 gives me a closer shave due to me being able to perform three passes.

Spiez

Booo! $icon_no - Copy.gif

Raven Koenes

My precious!
What makes the Fatip Piccolo the Piccolo is the handle. All the Fatip open combed heads are the same. Change the handle and it is no longer a Piccolo. It changes the mystic and nature of the razor that comes in any finish and style you like as long as it is nickel with that handle.

members of the PLC(piccolo lovers club) must be in pain reading this thread.
I read the Fatips have M4.5x0.75 threads while a lot of the standard handles have M5x0.8

What makes the Fatip Piccolo the Piccolo is the handle. All the Fatip open combed heads are the same. Change the handle and it is no longer a Piccolo. It changes the mystic and nature of the razor that comes in any finish and style you like as long as it is nickel with that handle.

Bingo!!! :thumbup1:

members of the PLC(piccolo lovers club) must be in pain reading this thread.
I read the Fatips have M4.5x0.75 threads while a lot of the standard handles have M5x0.8

We're not in pain, we use the correct handle.

Some folks like parts razors, and cars with different colored fenders, and duct tape on their easy chair. To each his own. :thumbup1:

We're not in pain, we use the correct handle.

Some folks like parts razors, and cars with different colored fenders, and duct tape on their easy chair. To each his own. [emoji106]1:
Absolutely. Some folks wear different shoes depending on the terrain and weather while others wear Crocs all day every day ;)

The Piccolo is actually going to be my next razor. Open comb, solid brass construction, and nickel coated. All that and it's priced better than most chromed zamaks.

they use a non-standard thread, so you will have to drill out a handle to make it work.
Fatip uses M4.5 thread, which is smaller than the standard M5 or 10-32.

Drilling out and re-tapping a Fatip handle will make that handle fit on a standard razor head, but there's no way to use a standard handle on a Fatip head because a standard handle hole is already to big. To use a standard handle on a Fatip head, you would first have to fill the hole then drill and tap.

The Piccolo handle is fantastic! Wish they sold them separately
With all the people in this thread hating the Piccolo handle, sounds like there may be some for sale right here ;-) Like you, I love the weight and feel of the Piccolo handle, but I only have 1. If I get a second one, I'd drill it out for sure. Probably rocks on an Old Type.

With all the people in this thread hating the Piccolo handle, sounds like there may be some for sale right here ;-) Like you, I love the weight and feel of the Piccolo handle, but I only have 1. If I get a second one, I'd drill it out for sure. Probably rocks on an Old Type.

Yep, I bet it would! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom