What's new

Fatip MK1

Does anyone know what's the story behind the unmarked box of the Grande which @macintoshBR mentioned in post #14?
As reference, This is the aforementioned box
6F3EAAE5-4B27-48D0-95BD-CD392273C334.jpeg

As reference, This is the aforementioned box
View attachment 1353508

Haven't received said Fatip yet. I do remember seeing photos of the plain black box before in some photos with little or no explanation of why?

My limited knowledge of Fatip boxes and versions.

Mysterious black box - time of use unknown and seems to be Mk1 razors?

Blue Fatip box with razor graphic - Mk1 razor

*Fatip factory retooling took place somewhere here

Transition box that looks like the newer packaging only smaller without the band dictating model and finish info - I bought my Grande nickel finish in 2017. I like to call it Mk1.5 since the cap is 19mm not 20mm like the newest ones. Logo stamped on baseplate.

New box - Mk2

Fatips seem to be very confusing and until I get the three Fatips on route to me. Comparisons will have to wait top cap widths and heights will need to be checked to verify my mk1.5 theory...

$P+Boxes.jpg

Blue Mk1 and Transition box Mk1.5/2? *note that the image is not mine.

Fatips seem to be very confusing and until I get the three Fatips on route to me. Comparisons will have to wait top cap widths and heights will need to be checked to verify my mk1.5 theory...

$P+Boxes.jpg

Blue Mk1 and Transition box Mk1.5/2? *note that the image is not mine.
:laugh: That's my photo... and it's a Mk1 box beside the original Mk2 box.

Here's my thread from June 13, 2016: Fatip Piccolo Mk1 & Mk2 differences.

The Mk2 caps started out at 19mm wide and have been gradually getting wider by tenths of a mm over time (something to do with that special Italian QC and quirkiness, I guess).

Good news! There are four (genuine) Mk1 Piccolos available on eBay from a German vendor HERE. :wink2:

I didn't buy one of the Piccolos - the handle is too slim for my liking.

BUT, the same seller offers the Grande Mk1 with plain black box. That's an offer I couldn't resist, always wanted to try one the Mk1 Grande! Thanks @Cal.

I received my Grande Mk1 earlier today, no complaints with the vendor, totally smooth transaction.
20211102_154010.jpg

Thanks again @Cal for pointing me to this auction.

Without knowing about the current thread, I purchased one Piccolo mk1 from the german seller on the bay, just because I am a fan of the Fatips, but after the first shave I am not at all fan for the Piccolo handle. Tried the mk1 head with a Voskhod blade, taking into account the aggressiveness wanted to try it with as smoother blade as possible, but the shave was disastrous. Then in the process of shaving noted that the handle is a bit off, I mean the razor doesn't have the right T-shape, handle lean to the side, so I got delivered a slanted Piccolo mk1. I own two grandes mk2 and two FOCS in grande also, they all shave fine and dont want to change them for nothing, no QC issues everything lines up perfectly, it seems that with mk1 razors the QC issues are a thing. I will try with some GSB or Wizamet but I'm not very optimistic that will change something. Holy Grail razor stays the FOCS.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Without knowing about the current thread, I purchased one Piccolo mk1 from the german seller on the bay, just because I am a fan of the Fatips, but after the first shave I am not at all fan for the Piccolo handle. Tried the mk1 head with a Voskhod blade, taking into account the aggressiveness wanted to try it with as smoother blade as possible, but the shave was disastrous. Then in the process of shaving noted that the handle is a bit off, I mean the razor doesn't have the right T-shape, handle lean to the side, so I got delivered a slanted Piccolo mk1. I own two grandes mk2 and two FOCS in grande also, they all shave fine and dont want to change them for nothing, no QC issues everything lines up perfectly, it seems that with mk1 razors the QC issues are a thing. I will try with some GSB or Wizamet but I'm not very optimistic that will change something. Holy Grail razor stays the FOCS.

I have two Mk1 Grande razors. One is NIB, unopened, and unused. The other is flawless. I like it very much. It was once my favorite Fatip.

FOCS(2).Gold.Chrome.Piled.640JPG.JPG

That does not mean it displaces my favorite Fatip, the FOCS, a razor which immediately knocked the Mk1 into second place in my Fatip lineup. The gold is my favorite of the two slants. I will also buy a nickel if possible one day.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Too bad. However, if the razor has issues you should get in touch with the vendor and ask for a replacement/return.

I will also add a nickel-plated FOCS when(if) it goes live. These things are unbeatable - at the price range of peanuts, made of brass, shaves like a champion... Yep, there are some flaws in the coating, but I don't care, that's not a museum, I use them all the time and I'm happy with them.

20211107_143704-01.jpeg

Sunday shave. For the first outing with the Fatip Grande Mk1, I took my time.

Compared to the Mk 2, this ancient version of the Fatip Grande Open Comb clearly is one step up in efficiency (maybe even two) - but a step down in shaving comfort if you choose the wrong shaving angle. My initial impression is that you can get a very close shave that's less prone to nicks if you choose a steep angle. But that assessment needs more investigation. In any case, the blade does not feel too bad.

2 passes plus some minor touch ups, full BBS. No nicks or redness, but I felt a bit of tightness on the skin. The Nivea asb quickly took care, so no issues.

Enjoy your Sunday!

I need to correct myself from my earlier post. I've tried the mk1 head with a GSB-it was BBS with some stinging from the alum block (very mild irritation) although I rolled it with shallow angle. It is a very good shaver, very aggressive, tons of blade feel, surely I'm not gonna use it for a daily shaver, but the emotion was worth it. And if I have to choose between mk1 and mk2 heads- I'm going with the mk2, because it's a step down in the aggressiveness and the blade is more rigidly held but that doesn't make mk1 a bad shaver. Maybe it's more practical for guys with tougher whiskers but for me it's a little bit overpowered.

View attachment 1358903

Sunday shave. For the first outing with the Fatip Grande Mk1, I took my time.

Compared to the Mk 2, this ancient version of the Fatip Grande Open Comb clearly is one step up in efficiency (maybe even two) - but a step down in shaving comfort if you choose the wrong shaving angle. My initial impression is that you can get a very close shave that's less prone to nicks if you choose a steep angle. But that assessment needs more investigation. In any case, the blade does not feel too bad.

2 passes plus some minor touch ups, full BBS. No nicks or redness, but I felt a bit of tightness on the skin. The Nivea asb quickly took care, so no issues.

Enjoy your Sunday!
I had an MK1 back before it was called that, I guess, since it was the only one available. Mine was a piccolo. I had heard a lot of guys say these were really aggressive, but it always felt smooth and comfortable to me. I made sure the blade alignment was right before I used it; I generally loaded the blade the evening before a shave so I wouldn't have to mess around with it in the morning when I was just waking up. Ended up selling the razor, but I'm not sure why. I always liked using it.

I had an MK1 back before it was called that, I guess, since it was the only one available. Mine was a piccolo. I had heard a lot of guys say these were really aggressive, but it always felt smooth and comfortable to me. I made sure the blade alignment was right before I used it; I generally loaded the blade the evening before a shave so I wouldn't have to mess around with it in the morning when I was just waking up. Ended up selling the razor, but I'm not sure why. I always liked using it.
I use my Mk 1 just like I use my 2011 Muhle R41, once in a while, and only when I feel like indulging in risky behavior. The Mk 1 even resembles the Muhle with the blade exposure. It seems to be a little milder to use than the Muhle, but I use the steep angle approach with both. Neither is a daily shaver for me, the Mk 2, maybe.

Top Bottom