What's new

Fatip Lo Storto Originale

I tried it for the first time last night. The finish is excellent and the balance is good. How would it shave?

I barely felt the razor gliding across my skin. It was like shaving with a cross between a Merkur 37c and a Gillette Old Type - two of my favourite razors (although I favour the 37c these days). My skin needed a break from shaving but there was no irritation. In all, an excellent shave.

This should be one of my top razors except for one thing: blade alignment. I suffer with acute OCD and it took a long time to get the blade parallel with the teeth with exposure equal on both sides. I'm used to having to do some manual alignment (the other three slants I have used require it, along with the Old Type and New Improved) but it was a chore with the Lo Storto and the curvature makes it harder to judge whether it's correct. I know it's a feature of these razors to some extent (ranging from no issues to having to send it back because it can never be aligned) so I'm thinking whether to just live with it and get used to it or return it in the hope that a replacement will be better.

I have attached a photo showing the alignment from above. Maybe someone who owns one can say whether it looks as expected?
20220303_222407.jpg

IMG_20220304_163808.jpg

I have no problems aligning the blade. Your top left corner seems a bit extreme compared to mine.

Maybe it's just the camera angle. You're saying the shave was perfect, afterall?

Try loading the blade this way:
  • Put the cap with the pins facing up on the counter, tabletop, etc.
  • Drop the blade onto the pins
  • Put on the base plate
  • Screw on the handle
  • Tighten handle down
  • The blade should center itself on the pins, it will ride down the pins as you tighten the handle, you don't have to fiddle with it
  • When done, the blade edges should line up with the base plate, not the cap

• Put on the base plate
  • Screw on the handle
  • Tighten handle down
  • The blade should center itself on the pins, it will ride down the pins as you tighten the handle, you don't have to fiddle with it
I tried that and it works if the cap is a particular way around. If I rotate it 180 degrees, the blade exposure is uneven.

Thanks.

• Put on the base plate
  • Screw on the handle
  • Tighten handle down
Thank You for that useful Info. I got lucky that my FOCS piccolo aligns easily. Used to have a FOCS Lo Storto and had to fiddle with blade to align. It’s a hit or miss with these razors on QC. But if you get one with proper alignment it probably best razor under $100 in my opinion.

Top Bottom