What's new

Fatip lo storto OC vs Merkur 37C?

Hi all,

I’ve been using my Piccolo V1 for the last couple of months but it still can’t tackle a small (roughly a half inch square) section of my chin that has super tough and flat hairs.

Would the lo storto OC be a better bet in this case? I only have the 37C for reference and this is hit or miss on this part of the face.

Open combs generally work better for me but occasionally I swap to the slant and can get just as good a result. I’m thinking that combination of slant and OC should do a superb job but what do you gents say?

Thanks,

R

I have all three of those razors, and decades of experience with the Merkur slant head. I think the Lo Storto OC (aka FOCS) is the best of the three, but not by such a margin that it will necessarily conquer your trouble spot.

I compare the FOCS to my RazoRock Wunderbar for efficiency, both really effective razors. If I was going to recommend one slant to tackle a tough spot it would be the PBOCS. That is Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements' original bakelite OC slant, not their current line-up of plastic OC slants. (El Fantasma, etc.)

The PBOCS is darned aggressive, as well as efficient. So if I really wanted to get after my worst trouble spot every shave, I would probably use the PBOCS for just that spot and use a less demanding razor for the rest.

The original PBOCS was way, way too aggressive for me. I really like the FOCS, though. A little buffing with it solves my trouble spots.

My other favorite slant is my stainless steel ATT S1. I don’t know if they’re still available, and, if they are, they’re pricey. But they’re excellent.

BTW, Kai blades work especially well with both of these.

BTW, Kai blades work especially well with both of these.

+1, very good point! The slightly wider Kai blades are a good way to add a bit of extra efficiency. Use carefully at first.

Kai blades are pricy, but they last much longer than many premium blades. Plus a Kai in the alternate razor could be used just on that trouble spot.

Top Bottom