What's new

Fatip Il Piccolo lo Storto Testina Classica impression after the first use.

I've had two Fatip Before. A Piccolo Nickel, very cheap but well made for the price (right price for a Made in Italy product) and an Olive Wood Gentile that was not gentle on my skin/Beard.
After selling these I've retried Fatip with this slant, my suspicion was that Gentile lo Storto could be more aggeessive than the OC lo Storto I find the Piccolo OC lo storto (or Testina Classica as the producer indicate) on a seller and I bought. It cost twice and more than the 2017 Nickel Piccolo and the boxing is better, the Piccolo Storto is now Chrome but the price now, not expensive, is not cheap.

Not as aggressive as I suppose is not so friendly like Merkur 34c or Ikon B1 Slant Bar or ATT S1. Is usable dayly but with careful, the exposure of the blade and a sort of disalignment is not for neofits.I'll retry on sunday on two days beard to valuate the difference with dayly shave.

English is not my native language, I apologize.

Just a question regarding Testina Gentile not being gentle on your face. Did you shave by riding the cap or riding the guard?

I have found the OC Fatips better suited for my skin. But I do prefer all OC razors. If you got a rough shave w the Sorto, check blade alignment.....it can be off and give you irritation. It should shave the same on both sides.

I have found the OC Fatips better suited for my skin. But I do prefer all OC razors. If you got a rough shave w the Sorto, check blade alignment.....it can be off and give you irritation. It should shave the same on both sides.

I've made It, Fatip is Fatip has little biseller of the cap with bis misalignment difficult to solve on a slant bar.
Just a question regarding Testina Gentile not being gentle on your face. Did you shave by riding the cap or riding the guard?

I don't remember.....I've tried all the human beings to solve the problems....'but nothing.

With the slant, blade alignment may appear wrong when this is actually due to the geometry. Try loading the blade with the razor cap upside down, tighten the handle and the blade should become centered automatically.

Try using a steep angle to shave using minimal pressure. Good smooth blades are best, for example, Gillette Perma-Sharp Super, also Lord Silver Star are a good match.

A few practice sessions should be allowed before reaching a verdict.

...an Olive Wood Gentile that was not gentle on my skin/Beard.
This razor is milder than the Merkur 34C so you should get a comfortable shave with this razor. Perhaps your blade angle is incorrect causing you to press too hard. Have a look at this; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade

Is usable dayly but with careful, the exposure of the blade and a sort of disalignment is not for neofits.
The slant bar has a different alignment from the straight bar razors. This post makes interesting reading; *Fatip Slant* - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/fatip-slant.576422/post-10627906
The Polsilver SI you are using should be a good match with the razor and okay for a daily shave. Perhaps you need to give it a little more time and get familiar with the razor.
Have you tried a different blade like the Astra SP or GSB?

I’ve found with Fatip as well as the R41 one needs to be careful to make sure the entire edge of the baseplate is uniformly against the skin by slightly rotating the handle as the razor passes along the contours of the skin surface and particularly when you switch to different sides of your face. This allows the entire cutting edge to be in contact with the skin. Otherwise, if one side of the blade is slightly elevated the opposite side will drag and irritatate while the raised side glides over without cutting. The result of this is irritation AND less than a close shave. Visualize you’re fine tuning an old time radio station knob when you rotate the handle to allow all of the stubbles along the edge to participate in the cut.

I've tried today with a different angle....a little bit better but far away from naturality silk smooth shave of 34c, B1,.....

I've tried today with a different angle....a little bit better but far away from naturality silk smooth shave of 34c, B1,.....
Consider that if you are used to shaving with the 34c for a while, of course it comes naturally to you. A person new to the 34c might not think it is so smooth.

"Consider that if you are used to shaving with the 34c for a while, of course it comes naturally to you. A person new to the 34c might not think it is so smooth."

-

I think there's a lot of truth in this.

Some of us do a lot of experimenting with different razors and different blades, especially the B&B reviews. But it takes time to adjust to a new razor. When we begin using a new razor, we typically (though not always) deliberately, consciously control the razor. After we have been using a razor awhile, our hand instinctively guides it in a certain way, hopefully based on intuitively learning over time what works best. But when we switch to another razor, that technique might not work.

There's no better example than the switch from a swivel cartridge razor to a DE razor, of course. Cartridge razor design almost seems intended to inculcate technique incompatible with DE shaving. But then there are quite good DE razors that are easy to use, and seem to work decently at any angle.

I suspect many if not most people have trouble with a Fatip/Schone at first. But once you get the hang of its eccentricities, it works better and better. And you wonder why you had trouble before. This shift in technique becomes subconscious and you may be unable to articulate what you are doing differently, what Michael Polanyi called "personal knowledge."

You can get cut with a Fatip, particularly when you first use it (which seems to anger some new users: I've gotten some mint condition used Fatip/Schones). There are many good razors that carry that risk. I've noticed I am most likely to cut myself when I switch razors. Why? One reason is we have become used to the blade making contact at a certain point and a certain hand position. Switch razors and handles, and the contact point/angle changes. It takes time to adjust. Even with a new blade, it can take time to adjust, as a sharp, aggressive blade may require a gentler touch that the blade we are used to.

Perhaps we should spend a week with a razor before passing judgement.

And we should use more than one example of a brand of blade, preferably taken at random from different tucks, before passing judgement. Frankly, it would be best to use at least 10 blades, as I find some brands have about one in 10 duds, and some just have inconsistent quality. I've seen some blades (a certain Gillette label in India) where only three out of four edges on most blades were sharpened. On the other hand, some brands have very consistent quality, and that would be worth looking for and reporting.

On a personal note, I've sometimes gotten excellent shaves with a Futur clone, and other times been unable to figure them out. And the Futur is the one that has cut me most often when I switch to it because I forget where the contact point is. This is also a reason I am prejudiced against adjustables: the razor behavior changes, but we don't always adjust.

The difference is in Angle. A different angle Between 37c , natural for me, and Piccolo Storto Classico, unnatural ad hard to drive for me...with right Angle Piccolo Lo Storto Open Comb is a butter.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
This razor is milder than the Merkur 34C so you should get a comfortable shave with this razor. Perhaps your blade angle is incorrect causing you to press too hard. Have a look at this; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade

The slant bar has a different alignment from the straight bar razors. This post makes interesting reading; *Fatip Slant* - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/fatip-slant.576422/post-10627906
The Polsilver SI you are using should be a good match with the razor and okay for a daily shave. Perhaps you need to give it a little more time and get familiar with the razor.
Have you tried a different blade like the Astra SP or GSB?
^^^This^^^ The main thing is that the blade should not align even with the cap. It should align even with the comb on the baseplate. The blade should be askew with the cap.

Top Bottom