What's new

Fatip Grande, My New Little Buddy

So after a bunch of praise from some members, friends, and BOTOC threadee's i finally jumped on getting one of these guys in chrome finish
I picked mine up of an ebay store that sells them, paying just under 40 shipped to my door it was a great value for the razor, came in a cardboard two piece box with a pack of astras (which brings me to somewhere around 405 astras now)

The fit and finish was as expected for something at that price point, nothing wrong it the razor but it doesnt have that highend feel or look you get with a BRW, Tradere, Weber, or other highend razors, but then it doesnt look like something that will fall apart or have its plating fall off either its about right for 40 bucks, much like a merkur,

I loaded a blade into it, it looked a bit off kilter to me, i used the end tabs to align it in, something i have to do with my old type, and just couldnt get it right till i heard a little "tink" and the blade fell into place, i think i caught a thread with blade or something, after a couple of tries the blade (a supermax sp) fell right into place, just a reminder to always check the seating of your blade as you load it into razors, things happen

I lathered up some Dr.Dittmar, after a preshave facial cleanse, got some great slick lather right where i need it to be for a good close shave with an aggressive razor and a sharp blade and did my two pass touch up shave

I had a tiny weeper near my adams apple, cold water took care of it, I nicked my nostril once ( havent done that in a while) not the razors fault but with an open comb razor these kind of nicks can go deep and bad, but a styptic pencil took care of that

smooth shaver indeed, i would say a bit to aggressive for a new guy on the scene, and maybe a bit much for a first time OC guy, but if your careful and get your angles down, and use zero,THATS ZERO, pressure, with a sharp blade, then you should get the hang of it in a shave or two

i did feel a bit raw after, a little more tingle then im used to, but that happened to me the first time i used my old type too, nothing to uncomfortable some alum (stung more then usual, someone used pressure !) and some AV A/S took care of it, im maybe 20 minutes out from shave and i have a few spots with some minor tingle, but again nothing major

If your not really a vintage razor kind of guy, but are curious about how some of them shave, i would say this is the closest thing i have used that resembles an "old type" gillette open comb, very similar to me indeed, its one of those same but different things

i would highly suggest this to anyone looking for an aggressive shaver, without spending the big bucks on the Joris counterpart

and of course, to prove it all happened, submitted for your approval, heres some pics
View attachment 255807View attachment 255808View attachment 255809View attachment 255810

BTW After som advice a bit further down from Viseguy I got my weber handle to thread onto this razor just fine, so next shave with be fatip head, weber handle !!!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new addition to your razor family. I love my Grande, although when I had the Piccolo, the head could be used on different handles. I am really not sure why, I know someone offered an explanation in the BOTOC thread, but with 6000 plus post, good luck finding it :wink2:

So which blade did you load in for the inaugural shave? I had used the supplied Astra's, but have found for myself that the SuperMax SP's, Gillette Blacks, and Red IP's work the best.

Enjoy the shaves with it, they only get better...just watch those nostrils.

Very nice! Can't wait to get mine. It sounds like I'll like it. Just like Dr. Plainview, I'm planning on either going Astra or Gillette Black for my first shave with it. How's the weight and balance? I heard it's made out of brass, which is exciting to hear. As much as I enjoy modern razors, the classy pot metal they use kind of bums me out.

my weber threads on it just fine, it just seems like the thread on it is to long and the handle doesnt creep up to tighten onto the baseplate, so it would require a simple modification im just not comfortable doing myself, im sure it will be fine, i didnt notice any slipping on the handle just feels a bit light like the NEW handles do may keep it from becomign a favorite over my old type, but it will be a welcome edition to the weekday routine
I used an Supermax SP, i just used it the night before and dont like to many open blades out and around i lose track of how many shaves are on them and end up tossing them all,

and the nick wouldnt have been so bad if i didnt just make fun of your brother for the tab thing lol so i had to post it and own up, give him a fair chance to get me back

Congrats on the new addition to your razor family. I love my Grande, although when I had the Piccolo, the head could be used on different handles. I am really not sure why, I know someone offered an explanation in the BOTOC thread, but with 6000 plus post, good luck finding it :wink2:

So which blade did you load in for the inaugural shave? I had used the supplied Astra's, but have found for myself that the SuperMax SP's, Gillette Blacks, and Red IP's work the best.

Enjoy the shaves with it, they only get better...just watch those nostrils.

Very nice! Can't wait to get mine. It sounds like I'll like it. Just like Dr. Plainview, I'm planning on either going Astra or Gillette Black for my first shave with it. How's the weight and balance? I heard it's made out of brass, which is exciting to hear. As much as I enjoy modern razors, the classy pot metal they use kind of bums me out.
Krona, i dont have a scale so i hope this helps, not quite as heavy as the ball end old type, but close, certainly heavier then the NEW, balance is a bit forward but not nearly as much as say a slim probably about as much as an old type as well

it feels comfortable not awkward but i could stand it to have a bit more heft,... but i think at this point it would be nit picking

It looks heavier but then I saw it has a hollow handle. On aggressive razors, lightness can be a quality. I know that I needed practice when I just got a Big Boy Deluxe, it's heavy and those old Deluxe heads are probably some of the most aggressive of the Gillette line.

yeah feeling it in hand it felt light, but i dont recall feeling anything wrong with it while i shaved, i really dont think its weight and balance would be an issue for anyone, just your own personal preferences, i had good clean passes, and it being held sideways (my neck growth is wierd) was nice too,or at least i think it was since i dont recall anything wrong, i would say its balance is where it should be

Thanks for your review. I just "discovered" this razor a few days ago and was wondering how it compared to other open combs. My tastes are heading towards open combs almost exclusively. Just a matter of time til I get around to this one too.

Thanks for your review. I just "discovered" this razor a few days ago and was wondering how it compared to other open combs. My tastes are heading towards open combs almost exclusively. Just a matter of time til I get around to this one too.
Jody, a lot of experiences open comb guys really like this razor, its what lead me to do the "okay now i have got to get me one of these" but it is loved for the shave it gives, not its perfect looks so keep that in mind, a few guys with the nickel plate complain that theres have little bubbles in the plate, though i didnt notice any in my chrome, its not on par with an EJ by anymeans, but it does a great job of removing whiskers the way i like it

my pics have obviously been tampered with lol heres a realistic shot of one
$IMG_1084.jpg

thanks James it is well worth its following around these parts where my face is concerned, at the price you can have them for and if your not after flash just a great shave, they seem to be fantastic... time can only tell where this ends up in rotation, but a few months from now i think i will still be very happy with this one, I may have to give it a name, and this place could always use another James around here lol,

"To the face James, and make it Smooth"

Both of my Weber handles work fine with the Fatip head (Bulldog below). First time I tried the Bulldog it didn't work, but the second time was the charm. I just kept turning the handle until it was tight. This is one of my favorite head-handle combinations.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
ill have to return and give mine a little more of a shot, but the BOTOC thread has had more then one person have this happen to them, and it seemed to be a hit or miss problem too, if it works though Viseguy you will be in my good books for sure lol

Well hot Dang Vise, you are correct sir, turn a little further, back off and go back in, it just keeps going a little bit more each time, till it snugs right up, i sir am indebted to you indeed !

Last edited:
Anytime Peter feel free and pop in with your thoughts when you get it, or if you open a thread drop the link in, thanks for reading

Both of my Weber handles work fine with the Fatip head (Bulldog below). First time I tried the Bulldog it didn't work, but the second time was the charm. I just kept turning the handle until it was tight. This is one of my favorite head-handle combinations.

full

This is exactly the info I've been been trying to find. Fatip will now be ordered with confidence.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw bullgoose has these now too, not sure what his shipping rates are like as I've never bought from him but shipping time has to be quicker then over seas took about a week for me to get this from eBay seller for anyone interested

I went through the BOTOC thread some time ago and if I recall correctly the common theme was that some third party handles seemed to have problems with the chrome plated Fatip heads and in particular the Weber handles, but all (Chrome and Nickel) were OK on the Ikon handle. Probably something to do with the tolerances.

I have found that my Ikon Bulldog handle works fine on my nickel plated Fatip Grande.

Last edited:
Top Bottom