What's new

Fatip Grande Handle from 36g to 68g

I got the idea going through my tackle box I could add some heft to my Ruthenium-Plated Fatip Grande Handle.

I added 32g to it tonight. Took some photos to share and will give the details on the how to by tomorrow. The key word is Tungsten :).

There are plenty of us here wish our Fatips had better finishes, were not torqued and had handles that were solid and heavier.

We still enjoy the shaves so we put up with our whack Fatips. I cured the torque on my 2 Fatips that caused one corner of the blade to jet out to avoid nicks and irration -
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/372434-Cure-Your-Torqued-Fatip?highlight=cure+Fatip

I now came up with a safe way to bump the Grande handle to a respectable weight.

I looked in tackle box for a solution. I had a couple of tungsten bullet weights but were just a tad too wide to enter the slightly bigger 1/4" diameter cylinder cavity that measures 2 3/8" deep.

I could have used lead but when I keep reading "Keep away from Children" it made me keep away also. Besides tungsten is safe and practically twice more dense than lead. I didn't want to spend a minimum $40 for a 1/4"x12" rod delivered and spend another 5 bucks for them to cut it. Remember tungsten is not only heavy but extremely hard.

I headed to my local Bass Pro Shop with the handle. I found some BPS brand tungsten bullet weights in 3/16 of an ounce that fit. Btw some would not unfortunately, there was some inconsistency in their shapes. I needed 5, 4 in a box at 7 bucks and change but still much cheaper than the solid tungsten rod I mentioned above.

I also used some tungsten putty I had leftover from a Derby car project, we did not win the Derby but we did win a trophy for "Best Paint Job" well, we had the best looking car :).

The putty added weight and helped avoid any rattling. I also molded some putty between the weights as seen in pic and to provide a tight fit and more added weight.

I dabbed a little door and window exterior acrylic silicone black chaulk on the bottom of the bullet weight where I first put some putty on the hollow end to help seal the thread opening on the top of the cavity.

I also put some chaulk on the sides of the weights before I slid it all down at the same time to help avoid any possible rattling but remember not to put too much chaulk. Have a damp towel to wipe excess once its in.
proxy.php
[/URL][/IMG]
The black chaulk dries a dark gray that blends better with my Ruthium Fatip but you can also find in regular gray color that would work best for chrome or nickel handles.

I used a 1/4" dowel to pack some more putty once all 5 bullet weights where in with the bullet nose facing the bottom of the handle. I left about 3/32" from the rim for the chaulk to seal the bottom. I let it dry overnight and then chaulked the bottom again. Now it is sealed pretty and ready to shave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, that is pretty cool!

Interstingly it was just the other day when I glued a simple steel rod in the hollow handle my brand new Fatip, even before using it the first time (it had arrived the same day). This noticeably added some weight, but of course it is now not near that heavy as yours, still nice though.
I guess I'll shop for some tungsten now! :w00t:

Now, that is pretty cool!

Interstingly it was just the other day when I glued a simple steel rod in the hollow handle my brand new Fatip, even before using it the first time (it had arrived the same day). This noticeably added some weight, but of course it is now not near that heavy as yours, still nice though.
I guess I'll shop for some tungsten now! :w00t:

Hey Heager thanks, I remember your post where you added weight to a Muhle handle and figured you might be interested in what I came up with. I might have started a "Tungsten Craze"...lol. Not only with the hollow Fatip Grande handle but other light hollow handle brands as well. Now my Grande handle feels like it should, beefy and significant. Makes for a more enjoyable shave and I don't have to "wish" it was heavy.

I had trouble downloading the rest of the pics from my phone last night that shows the materials and simple tools I used. A utility knife blade, a dowel, the tungsten putty and a copper rod to push out the weights if I needed to while I gauged them to size with the putty. It took me about 30 minutes to complete.

Also included in the photo are all the tungsten bullet weights connected with the putty and in piggy back ready to be inserted for good..lol. Will download them asap.

Hey Heager thanks, I remember your post where you added weight to a Muhle handle and figured you might be interested in what I came up with. I might have started a "Tungsten Craze"...lol. Not only with the hollow Fatip Grande handle but other light hollow handle brands as well.
The B&B forum is pretty inspiring, isn't it? :001_smile
At least for me, it is.

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but as the Fatip Grande handle, for not being closed on either end is a bit special, I thought this could be the right place to mention and depict my quick 'n' dirty approach. It added only 12 grams, but as this is still a 33% increase in weight it is still a nice upgrade.

I simply filed off most of the threading of a threaded rod that was a bit too thick to go into the hollow handle, cut a slot in one end so that I later could screw it out if I or someone else would not want it there (or would want to replace it with tungsten, gold, or whatever), sprayed it with some primer and lacquer in order to prevent corrosion, smeared a few drops of epoxy into the hollow handle and shoved the now black rod in place.

$13791121.jpg

I could have made the rod a bit longer (and 2 grams heavier) but preferred to maintain the original "hollow look" of the handle.

I headed to my local Bass Pro Shop with the handle. I found some BPS brand tungsten bullet weights in 3/16 of an ounce that fit.
Not knowing what a Bass Pro Shop is, and much less being able to find it locally where I live, may I ask what those tungsten bullets typically are used for? This might help me and others to spot this valuable razor handle upgrade relevant material locally or online. :001_cool:

The B&B forum is pretty inspiring, isn't it? :001_smile
At least for me, it is.

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but as the Fatip Grande handle, for not being closed on either end is a bit special, I thought this could be the right place to mention and depict my quick 'n' dirty approach. It added only 12 grams, but as this is still a 33% increase in weight it is still a nice upgrade.

I simply filed off most of the threading of a threaded rod that was a bit too thick to go into the hollow handle, cut a slot in one end so that I later could screw it out if I or someone else would not want it there (or would want to replace it with tungsten, gold, or whatever), sprayed it with some primer and lacquer in order to prevent corrosion, smeared a few drops of epoxy into the hollow handle and shoved the now black rod in place.

View attachment 391421

I could have made the rod a bit longer (and 2 grams heavier) but preferred to maintain the original "hollow look" of the handle.

Not at all, glad u were able to add 12 more grams. Good idea on being able to clean it also.

The tungsten bullet weights are used for fishing to rig mainly soft plastic artificial baits btw. Bass Pro Shops are a nation wide chain of outdoor fishing, hunting and camping super stores. We have a couple of them in Houston that I know of.

I have no experience in filling handles,so I have to ask, can you fill the handle with liquid steel ? Should be cheap and easy,just squeeze it in ,fill it up,level the bottom and let dry...yea or nay ???

I have no experience in filling handles,so I have to ask, can you fill the handle with liquid steel ? Should be cheap and easy,just squeeze it in ,fill it up,level the bottom and let dry...yea or nay ???

Not familiar with liquid steel, wish I could help you there. You would have to ask how much weight the liquid steel will add in the 1/4" x 2 3/8" Fatip Grande Handle cylinder cavity and if it is the simplest option and gives you at least 12 grams of added weight. Also there is an opening you would have to deal with on the thread end. You would not want the liquid steel to get into the threads.

A 2" pin I bought delivered on ebay for 5 bucks and change will up your Grande handle 12 grams. Listed at 17 grams but that includes the case. I PIF one a few days ago with 2 grams of tungsten puddy to fill the void and add more weight. Very simple to install with silicone acrylic chaulk or maybe something else you can come up with. I ended using the solid tungsten bullet weights instead and added the 32 grams.

Here is the pin on ebay
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D7...c=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_details_o07_s00_i00

Here is the photo of the 1/4" 12 gram Tungsten Carbide Pin. It fits nice inside the cavity and the acrylic silicone chaulking seals it and would prevent any rattling.
$TungstenCarbidePin.jpg

A 2" pin I bought delivered on ebay for 5 bucks and change will up your Grande handle 12 grams.
I find it somewhat irritating only thinking of paying $5 for adding 12 grams tungsten (?) if I can add the same 12 grams by inserting a piece of threaded stainless steel rod that costs a tenth of that. :confused1

Regarding "liquid steel": I suppose that the density of metal containing putty will be less than the density of the metal, but maybe still a valid option depending on how much weight you wish to add.

I find it somewhat irritating only thinking of paying $5 for adding 12 grams tungsten (?) if I can add the same 12 grams by inserting a piece of threaded stainless steel rod that costs a tenth of that. :confused1

You are correct Haeger, I just realised you should be able to buy a 2" threaded SS rod. My bad. Thought you had to cut yours to size and some here don't want to or have access to cut the rod.

The reason I bought the pin was because it is listed at "17 grams". More dense than SS but when it was delivered I weighed it and it was only 12 grams. Glad it did not meet my expectations because I went with the Tungsten Bullet Weights and added 32 grams :thumbup:

You are correct Haeger, I just realised you should be able to buy a 2" threaded SS rod. My bad. Thought you had to cut yours to size and some here don't want to or have access to cut the rod.
"Not having access to cut the rod". Yes sure, hacksaws are hard to find these days! :001_rolle :wink2:
And of course, one could not want to do this or that.

FWIW: Also an old 7mm drill bit cut to length would do the job (a new one works too but costs more). The safest way to cut it would be using a bench grinder. Or heat it up to cherry red with a propane torch and use a hacksaw if you have one.

In any case, tungsten or even lead beads lead to heavier handles, and using only tungsten putty seems to be tempting. How dense is that stuff?

I had my first shave today with the Grande,with factory empty handle.A fresh Czech Tiger blade,and thick ,protective tallow lather from a vintage Colgate puck.It is an aggressive razor for sure,right up there with my Gillette Big Boy.A few spots of blood on the chin,touched up nicely with a jumbo styptic pencil.The weight is not bad with the hollow handle,certainly not a minus to the razor,but I think it would be better with a filled handle as well.The liquid steel would not be as heavy as the rod,but may be the easiest way to go.Lots of great "filler" ideas on this post,glad this info is here.

"Not having access to cut the rod". Yes sure, hacksaws are hard to find these days! :001_rolle :wink2:
And of course, one could not want to do this or that.

FWIW: Also an old 7mm drill bit cut to length would do the job (a new one works too but costs more). The safest way to cut it would be using a bench grinder. Or heat it up to cherry red with a propane torch and use a hacksaw if you have one.

In any case, tungsten or even lead beads lead to heavier handles, and using only tungsten putty seems to be tempting. How dense is that stuff?

Tungsten putty has a density of 10 g /cm3 while lead is11.34 g/cm3. Pure tungsten is 19.24g/cm3. Stainless steel is 8.05 g/cm3.

I used the tungsten putty to fill the voids while adding weight. Packing the handle solid with it could be an option. It's sold in 30 gram portions, more than enough for one handle maybe 2 handles.

A SS double threaded 1/4"x2" rod should be available at your local Home Depot for around a buck and you would not have to cut it, 2.25" long would be even better. Many here just want simplify. I know you like to cut and tinker though...lol.

I had my first shave today with the Grande,with factory empty handle.A fresh Czech Tiger blade,and thick ,protective tallow lather from a vintage Colgate puck.It is an aggressive razor for sure,right up there with my Gillette Big Boy.A few spots of blood on the chin,touched up nicely with a jumbo styptic pencil.The weight is not bad with the hollow handle,certainly not a minus to the razor,but I think it would be better with a filled handle as well.The liquid steel would not be as heavy as the rod,but may be the easiest way to go.Lots of great "filler" ideas on this post,glad this info is here.

Malacchio congrads on your first Fatip shave, enjoy the razor. I learned to use No Pressure, it is a razor I never rush with. I am very deliberate when I use it. I just let the instrument and blade do the work. I compare it to a fine meal in a great restaurant, I take my time and just enjoy the awesome efficiency.

We all have had a learning curve with the Fatip and the great efficient BBS shaves become so addictive it becomes hard to put down.

A heavier handle does enhance the shaves for many. Let us know what you do to your handle. I am just concerned the liquid steel is not as dense as the SS and would not give you much added weight.

Also check to make sure the blade sits parallel to the comb. It's been a common problem for me that one corner flares out but it is curable with some shimming.

Hmmmmm.Packing the handle with tungsten putty,that's a very interesting idea !!....I wonder how many grams that would add ? Less than the bullet ,but still it may be enough to balance out the overall feel.If you merely level off the ends,will rust set in ? Is a sealer mandatory to prevent the exposed ends from rusting ? Does tungsten putty remain pliable after exposure to air,or does it become a solid metal ?

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.Packing the handle with tungsten putty,that's a very interesting idea !!....I wonder how many grams that would add ? Less than the bullet ,but still it may be enough to balance out the overall feel.If you merely level off the ends,will rust set in ? Is a sealer mandatory to prevent the exposed ends from rusting ? Does tungsten putty remain pliable after exposure to air,or does it become a solid metal ?

My guess it would be around 15 grams. You would still have to seal both ends. I used a 1/4" dowel to help pack the putty. The puddy does not rust and stays pliable from what I read, very hard for it to harden. It's not a Soft pliable to start with but will shape.

Tungsten putty has a density of 10 g /cm3 while lead is11.34 g/cm3. Pure tungsten is 19.24g/cm3. Stainless steel is 8.05 g/cm3.
Thanks for the data. It is good to be able to compare those materials.

Many here just want simplify. I know you like to cut and tinker though...lol.
Oh yes, simplifying is always good, I also do it when when it makes sense to me. And of course, cutting a metal rod can be a challenge for some, and that tungsten rod still is cheaper than buying a decent hacksaw!

Top Bottom