What's new

Fatip Grande. First shave. Meh.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
In all my years of shaving, I have never tried a Fatip razor. Even after hearing endless shavers extolling their virtues, I never got around to buying one. Maybe it was the non-standard handle thread. Not sure. Well, added one to my cart with another order to make the free shipping. Got the Grande. Open comb. Not impressed with the fit and finish on this razor. As far as zamak razors go, EJ and Muhle chrome work puts this thing to shame. And I was completely shocked by the loose fit of the blade, and how much blade movement there was edge to edge with the top cap in place. Blade alignment was dreadful. I was able to eyeball it and get it aligned straight enough. The shave was a bit on the rough side. When doing my neck, I kept feeling like the razor was gonna bite me. And it did a little. Got a small nick and one weeper. Not really impressed with this razor. I have a small four space razor stand on my vanity. At the moment, the Fatip is sitting between a Timeless and a Karve, with a Game Changer looking over from the side. Not sure the Fatip is gonna be able to hang with it’s present company.

within the past year got a Schone ( Fatip twin ) and a Fatip. Experience very similar to yours, except that I never tried actually shaving with either razor. Poor quality finish and fit, difficult to impossible to align and center the blade soured me on both razors. Salute you for persisting and actually trying to shave with them. I know these razors have passionate fans but IMHO even at their low cost they are overpriced. If you have one and love it, great, hope it works for you for many years. Just goes to prove -YMMV.

The shave was a bit on the rough side. When doing my neck, I kept feeling like the razor was gonna bite me. And it did a little. Got a small nick and one weeper. Not really impressed with this razor.
You cannot get to grips with a razor on one shave. Having said that, this razor has a lot of blade exposure so you have to be careful. I prefer it at a shallow blade angle and am still trying to find the best blade for it. At the moment the Rapira Super Stainless is delivering good results with this razor (Ver.1). At least it is made from brass.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
It seems they still have quality control issues. Too bad because if you get a good one they are really great razors.

I was unaware that they have QC issues. I needed to add something to my cart to make free shipping, and this was on sale pretty cheap. So I pulled the trigger. I’m glad to have tried one. But i will most likely give it one more shot, then shelve it.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
You cannot get to grips with a razor on one shave. Having said that, this razor has a lot of blade exposure so you have to be careful.

I do know that. But sometimes you try a razor, and can tell right away it’s not a fit for you. This one just has too many strikes against it right out of the gate.

Luck of the draw, my new Schone and two Fatips align and secure the blade well. But the QC issues are unfortunately well known.

My Schone also has a blade fit issue, it's just a real PITA to align most blades....most, but not all. Try a Bolzano blade, they seem to align snugly on the pins, making even blade alignment easy. The Superinox Bolzano isn't a bad blade either, a bit more blade feel than some, but decently smooth and seems to last a few shaves. (They're slightly scratchy or scrape a bit on the first shave, but by the 2nd shave they smooth out nicely).

The fit & finish or plating isn't bad, just wish they ground, sanded, or polished out some of the machine marks before plating. (It's more a lack of good prep prior to plating). They obviously smooth out the guards, but not the side edges, and the cap could use a bit finer work. - Of course that would also drive up the price, ~24 for an all brass razor is pretty darn low in today's world, and it isn't going to compare to a Timeless, Karve, or Muhle. (An R41 sells for more than double the price, and still uses a 100% zamac head).

But then you see the RR Game Changer, at approximately double the price, which is made of stainless....so just maybe Fatip could possibly provide a smoother finish prior to plating and not a lot more.

I just posted about the (serious) QC issues. That said, if you find one where the top cap is primo, the Fatips shave is pretty much top tier in closeness and comfort/smoothness. I had 3 Fatips that all had normal top cap quality before buying my 4th which came with 2 separate and damaged top caps.

Blade alignment will however always be a bit of an issue with this razor. The only way you are going to want to fiddle with that is AFTER you get your first really great shave with the Fatip. If you give up this quickly, you will never find out.

Also...last bit of advice. the Grande (OC) needs a VERY stee angle or else it'll feel like you have a bare blade dragging over your face. And you need a sharp blade. Dull blades are accentuated by the Grande. The Testina Gentile is much more forgiving in terms of blade choice but is just about as efficient and smoother.

Sorry you didn't have a good experience. Clarly, Fatip doesn't match the machining of Timeless, ATT, Karve or even the Game Changer. But as the owner of an ATT and Karve, I can attest that the best shave from a Fatip is better for me than anything I have ever gotten out of a Karve or ATT shave.

In all my years of shaving, I have never tried a Fatip razor. Even after hearing endless shavers extolling their virtues, I never got around to buying one. Maybe it was the non-standard handle thread. Not sure. Well, added one to my cart with another order to make the free shipping. Got the Grande. Open comb. Not impressed with the fit and finish on this razor. As far as zamak razors go, EJ and Muhle chrome work puts this thing to shame. And I was completely shocked by the loose fit of the blade, and how much blade movement there was edge to edge with the top cap in place. Blade alignment was dreadful. I was able to eyeball it and get it aligned straight enough. The shave was a bit on the rough side. When doing my neck, I kept feeling like the razor was gonna bite me. And it did a little. Got a small nick and one weeper. Not really impressed with this razor. I have a small four space razor stand on my vanity. At the moment, the Fatip is sitting between a Timeless and a Karve, with a Game Changer looking over from the side. Not sure the Fatip is gonna be able to hang with it’s present company.

Sounds like you may have received a pre 2017 since those were common complaints for those models. I have a post 2016 Grande and the fit and finish is top notch, as are the tolerances (zero blade play). That, or there are still QC issues (which is unfortunate) and I just got lucky.

For what it’s worth, with a “good” post 2016 Grande, I find the shave great. Maybe it’s more of a Mustang GT to the Six Series BMW’s already in your den, but definitely enjoyable and capable.

I'm seeing plenty of complaints about newer production.

Sounds like you may have received a pre 2017 since those were common complaints for those models. I have a post 2016 Grande and the fit and finish is top notch, as are the tolerances (zero blade play). That, or there are still QC issues (which is unfortunate) and I just got lucky.

For what it’s worth, with a “good” post 2016 Grande, I find the shave great. Maybe it’s more of a Mustang GT to the Six Series BMW’s already in your den, but definitely enjoyable and capable.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My Grande is a thing of beauty.

IMG_2056.jpg

Does the blade need to be aligned sometimes, sure, but so do Old Types and virtually every other razor with alignment pins.

This is as far out of line as I can make mine.

IMG_2059.JPG

Not 5 seconds of time spent adjusting.

IMG_2060.JPG

Pretty, thick plating doesnt make a razor. Sure Muhle has nice plating, but its there for a reason, to protect the Zamak they're made from.

My R41 below, which has flawless plating, but thats about it...

The center of the SB/comb is bowed outwards and neither side of it is square and either is across the top where the blade sits.

IMG_2792.jpg IMG_2796.jpg IMG_2798.jpg

The SB/comb in the third pic will actually rock on the straight edge. The result of that slop is this.

IMG_2786.JPG

My Grande is a precisely machined piece in comparison and is easily smoother and more efficient than my R41 while costing roughly half as much.

Theres a process to load the blade in Fatips and others like that, that usually results in no adjustment necessary.

Break the razor down and lay the cap on something soft. I use a folded tissue that my razors dry on. Drop the blade on, then gently set the base on top. Holding the pins with your fingers, screw the handle on without wiggling the baseplate. 9 times out of 10 on mine, I dont have to adjust the blade at all.

Its also not an easy razor to learn, but once you do its impressive. I can easily shave directly ATG first pass at 50+ hours growth. It does have a lot of blade exposure so angle is critical.

I'm in the process of comparing mine directly to a GEM MMOC through 10 shaves and I gotta say, its holding its own pretty well and thats a feat...

Break the razor down and lay the cap on something soft. I use a folded tissue that my razors dry on. Drop the blade on, then gently set the base on top. Holding the pins with your fingers, screw the handle on without wiggling the baseplate. 9 times out of 10 on mine, I dont have to adjust the blade at all.

This ^

I always load blades like this (except that I hold the base plate on both ends, not the pins). Virtually 10/10 no adjustment is necessary.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My Grande is a thing of beauty.

View attachment 919279

Does the blade need to be aligned sometimes, sure, but so do Old Types and virtually every other razor with alignment pins.

This is as far out of line as I can make mine.

View attachment 919280

Not 5 seconds of time spent adjusting.

View attachment 919281

Pretty, thick plating doesnt make a razor. Sure Muhle has nice plating, but its there for a reason, to protect the Zamak they're made from.

My R41 below, which has flawless plating, but thats about it...

The center of the SB/comb is bowed outwards and neither side of it is square and either is across the top where the blade sits.

View attachment 919282 View attachment 919283 View attachment 919284

The SB/comb in the third pic will actually rock on the straight edge. The result of that slop is this.

View attachment 919287

My Grande is a precisely machined piece in comparison and is easily smoother and more efficient than my R41 while costing roughly half as much.

Theres a process to load the blade in Fatips and others like that, that usually results in no adjustment necessary.

Its also not an easy razor to learn, but once you do its impressive. I can easily shave directly ATG first pass at 50+ hours growth. It does have a lot of blade exposure so angle is critical.

I'm in the process of comparing mine directly to a GEM MMOC through 10 shaves and I gotta say, its holding its own pretty well and thats a feat...
^^^^this^^^^ I still want any unwanted Fatips....just saying.

This ^

I always load blades like this (except that I hold the base plate on both ends, not the pins). Virtually 10/10 no adjustment is necessary.

I basically pinch the ends of the baseplate/cap when tightening the handle of my Fendrihan Mark II, perfect alignment every time. Lots of bad reviews about alignment etc, too bad people just don’t do this or avoided buying because of those reviews, remarkable shave that rivals my best razors. So easy to do this with any razor, don’t even think about it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!

...or mean it will hold up. Here is an example of Fatip stock standard nickel plating on my 1980's Fatip I acquired from Turin Italy. It was picked up by the seller from an estate sale. It was heavily used and took forever to clean off the soap scum. I'm still working on the soap scum on the teeth but shave with it anyway. It's held up really well for a shoddy plate job. :wink2:
011_25.jpg
017_25.jpg

Another FaTip fan here. I bought a new FaTip Piccolo about three weeks ago and have had several great shaves with it. No alignment issues for me.

Top Bottom