I didnt know
Staff member
Then you just simply need more Fatip's.
Sincerely
Rave

moar.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Yes, I have the newer version. I have no idea how much difference there is between the older and newer, but this razor has plenty of blade feel for me. It's not difficult, but I have to be careful. After 10 hours I could barely feel any stubble. This morning I shaved after 48 hours+, and my face felt like it does sometimes after 24 hours with some razors. I'm going to be using this razor a lot in the immediate future.
The difference is the top cap is 1mm wider. The old version was 18mm the new ones are 19mm. They've also improved quality control.

After reading this thread and @Esox thread Grande Journey, I put one on my wish list. And the Piccolo, too, as I don't know which I'd prefer. Time to research one vs the other! Thanks for the review!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
After reading this thread and @Esox thread Grande Journey, I put one on my wish list. And the Piccolo, too, as I don't know which I'd prefer. Time to research one vs the other! Thanks for the review!

They really are fantastic razors. The heads between the Grande and the Piccolo are the same, only the handles differ. The Grande has a longer thicker but hollow handle compared to the Piccolo's shorter thinner solid handle. The Grande handle even while being hollow, is thick walled and has pretty good weight to it. It feels considerably more substantial than all my vintage Gillettes.

They really are fantastic razors. The heads between the Grande and the Piccolo are the same, only the handles differ. The Grande has a longer thicker but hollow handle compared to the Piccolo's shorter thinner solid handle. The Grande handle even while being hollow, is thick walled and has pretty good weight to it. It feels considerably more substantial than all my vintage Gillettes.
Thanks! This is what I was looking for. I am leaning towards the Grande now!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Actually Esox, I don't really care whether I feel the blade or not. I don't have a preference. My main focus right now is to get a smooth, close shave on my neck without irritation. I just can't figure out what is causing it. It's the only place on my face that gives me this problem. It is definitely better with the Fatip, but it's still there. I've tried everything. Three pass with WTG, XTG, ATG. Then XG, ATG, then I tried your going with a one pass ATG. That one was the worst, but not really by much. No matter what I do, once I get to that ATG section on my neck, it feels like it "catches" and pulls. BUT, every once in a great while I get a buttery smooth shave and that doesn't happen and I end up with a BBS with no irritation. BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHY! I tried recreating everything from face prep to the exact way I shaved, same amount of time between shaves, etc. I have never been able to recreate it. I have done it with a fresh blade, I have done it with a blade with three shaves on it. I have done it once with my El Jefe, but only once. I just could never get back there again.

So that's what I'm searching for. An irritation free, close shaved neck. I'll try an Astra SP next and see how that works. Thanks for the feedback.
Were any of your Buttery smooth shaves
Done while using a Platinum Lux or a
GSB's because for me without fail those
Two blades give me just the kind of
Shave you are looking for.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Actually Esox, I don't really care whether I feel the blade or not. I don't have a preference. My main focus right now is to get a smooth, close shave on my neck without irritation. I just can't figure out what is causing it. It's the only place on my face that gives me this problem. It is definitely better with the Fatip, but it's still there. I've tried everything. Three pass with WTG, XTG, ATG. Then XG, ATG, then I tried your going with a one pass ATG. That one was the worst, but not really by much. No matter what I do, once I get to that ATG section on my neck, it feels like it "catches" and pulls. BUT, every once in a great while I get a buttery smooth shave and that doesn't happen and I end up with a BBS with no irritation. BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHY! I tried recreating everything from face prep to the exact way I shaved, same amount of time between shaves, etc. I have never been able to recreate it. I have done it with a fresh blade, I have done it with a blade with three shaves on it. I have done it once with my El Jefe, but only once. I just could never get back there again.

So that's what I'm searching for. An irritation free, close shaved neck. I'll try an Astra SP next and see how that works. Thanks for the feedback.

I have no idea what you should do here. You're not new to this.

Man, I feel for you. I thought I had it bad. At least you make me feel better about the problems I have with my neck.

What blades have you tried in the Fatip? How shallow or steep are you shaving? For me, my Schöne (my Piccolo is in transit) shaves better with a very sharp blade, and a very shallow angle, but you've likely tried that.

I assume you've tried cold water shaving? What about ice water shaving? My neck irritation improved considerably with cold water everything.

I mean this with hopes you will soon achieve your objective of a Damn Comfortable Shave...

Happy shaves,

Jim

This shallow vs steep still gets me confused, by steep you mean more towards the guard and steep more towards the head?

This shallow vs steep still gets me confused, by steep you mean more towards the guard and shallow more towards the cap?
I think you are right but I corrected your post for clarity. Otherwise known as riding the guard and riding the cap respectively. If you ride both you are at a neutral angle and work with maximum blade exposure. This is an excellent thread for you to read; Steep and Shallow Angle Shaving DEFINED

Than
I think you are right but I corrected your post for clarity. Otherwise known as riding the guard and riding the cap respectively. If you ride both you are at a neutral angle and work with maximum blade exposure. This is an excellent thread for you to read; Steep and Shallow Angle Shaving DEFINED

Thanks for the reply and interpreting my pre-coffee typo ridden post. :)
I’ve got a FaTip Gentile on the way, so having an idea where to start is really helpful. Thank fully I find it pretty natural to ride the cap rather than the guard anyway.

Were any of your Buttery smooth shaves
Done while using a Platinum Lux or a
GSB's because for me without fail those
Two blades give me just the kind of
Shave you are looking for.

No, neither one of those blades. I have pretty much only used Personna Blue and Astra SP for the past three years. I have had those rare, miraculous shaves with both of those at different times. As coincidence would have it, I just had one of those fantastic shaves this past Wednesday. Rockwell with plate #6, fresh Personna blade and my usual Arko. It was unreal. So smooth, so close. A hint of irritation and redness on those sections on each side of my neck (I never get away with *zero* irritation), but nothing I could physically feel. So I thought I had it. I thought it was my lather. I used more water (measured very carefully) and whipped the lather longer in the bowel. A creamy, wet, glistening lather resulted. As I said, the shave was fantastic. So I looked forward to my next comfortable BBS, which would have been yesterday, except it didn't happen. I was so careful to recreate everything exactly the same. It wasn't a bad shave, but it wasn't great. There was more irritation and I couldn't get the closeness. I was very, very careful with the angle on the razor. Everything seemed to be the same but the shave just wasn't as smooth and effortless as the first shave on that blade. Not even close. I just don't get it.

I have no idea what you should do here. You're not new to this.

Man, I feel for you. I thought I had it bad. At least you make me feel better about the problems I have with my neck.

What blades have you tried in the Fatip? How shallow or steep are you shaving? For me, my Schöne (my Piccolo is in transit) shaves better with a very sharp blade, and a very shallow angle, but you've likely tried that.

I assume you've tried cold water shaving? What about ice water shaving? My neck irritation improved considerably with cold water everything.

I mean this with hopes you will soon achieve your objective of a Damn Comfortable Shave...

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have shaved with a Personna and Astra SP in the Fatip. Both were very similar results. I use the shallowest angle possible while still barely contacting my skin with the blade. Anything steeper for me results in even more irritation and less closeness.

I have not tried cold water shaving. I have considered it in the past, but my way of thinking is that if I can get a fantastic shave with warm water sometimes, then I should be able to find out how to do that most times, if not all the time. I just don't want to add more variables right now while I'm trying to solve this puzzle.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have shaved with a Personna and Astra SP in the Fatip. Both were very similar results. I use the shallowest angle possible while still barely contacting my skin with the blade. Anything steeper for me results in even more irritation and less closeness.

I have not tried cold water shaving. I have considered it in the past, but my way of thinking is that if I can get a fantastic shave with warm water sometimes, then I should be able to find out how to do that most times, if not all the time. I just don't want to add more variables right now while I'm trying to solve this puzzle.

Suit yourself.

Ice Try It.jpg

Cold water shaving significantly removes an inflammatory increasing variable.

Ice is nice, but, for me, it's a treat to be enjoyed occasionally. Cold shaves don't require ice.

Warm water feels great to me, but doesn't work as well on my neck.

...if I can get a fantastic shave with warm water sometimes, then I should be able to find out how to do that most times, if not all the time.

I agree, in theory.

My main focus right now is to get a smooth, close shave on my neck without irritation. I just can't figure out what is causing it. I've tried everything. Every once in a great while I get a buttery smooth shave, BBS with no irritation. BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHY! I have never been able to recreate it. I just could never get back there again.

That's what I'm searching for. An irritation free, close shaved neck.

You'llj Get There.jpg

I’ve had my Testina Gentile for about a week now, and I must say I’m very happy I decided to try it. I was getting hung up on wanting $200 razors that are out of my price range, and here’s a 25€ razor that is just wonderful.

Does anyone know the difference between the Gentile and the Grande? Of course one is open comb, but the Gentile isn’t that far from one with it’s deeply slotted safety bar. Is there any point in trying one vs the Gentile? My wife hates that I went with the brass plated one, so I’m going to need to order a chrome soon anyway.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Grande and the Piccolo are more efficient than the Gentile. I say that having the Gentile and the Piccolo. The Grande and Piccolo have different handles, but are otherwise entirely the same.

I would say the Piccolo (and the Grande) are significantly more efficient. Not enormously more, but enough to make a real difference. The Piccolo (and Grande) may be a bit less smooth, but not enough to concern me.

So, yours is gold plated, right? All these razors are brass, and plated.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom