What's new

Fatip Grande - First shave and brief review

Just received it this morning and just completed my first shave. I won't go into any length, as this razor has been discussed a lot already.

I found the fit and finish surprisingly good for a razor of this cost. I ordered the nickel finish. I threw a blade into it right away, snugged it up and took a look. Everything lines up perfectly with no fiddling. The shave was very smooth and efficient. I got a few minor weepers because the smoothness caused me to get sloppy and careless. This is not a difficult razor IMO, but it does demand reasonable attention. It will be very interesting to see how my face feels after 12 hours. Right now I am very close to BBS. True BBS is very difficult for me as my neck gets irritated very easily and my neck whiskers grow in all sorts of directions, and a lot of them grow almost parallel to my skin.

$27.12 shipped to my door. I can't imagine a better razor value than this. Highly recommended.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Just received it this morning and just completed my first shave. I won't go into any length, as this razor has been discussed a lot already.

I found the fit and finish surprisingly good for a razor of this cost. I ordered the nickel finish. I threw a blade into it right away, snugged it up and took a look. Everything lines up perfectly with no fiddling. The shave was very smooth and efficient. I got a few minor weepers because the smoothness caused me to get sloppy and careless. This is not a difficult razor IMO, but it does demand reasonable attention. It will be very interesting to see how my face feels after 12 hours. Right now I am very close to BBS. True BBS is very difficult for me as my neck gets irritated very easily and my neck whiskers grow in all sorts of directions, and a lot of them grow almost parallel to my skin.

$27.12 shipped to my door. I can't imagine a better razor value than this. Highly recommended.

Congratulations and well done on your first outing with your new Grande! Thanks for the quick report. Their smoothness can be deceiving lol! Good choice on the nickel finish. Not only do I like the color it puts a vintage feel on it. I also think brass plates better in nickel as well. Chrome is my second favorite for them, but there is just something about nickel. I wish the Gentile came in nickel.

Cheers!
Rave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Good choice on the nickel finish. Not only do I like the color it puts a vintage feel on it. I also think brass plates better in nickel as well. Chrome is my second favorite for them, but there is just something about nickel. I wish the Gentile came in nickel.

I like chrome fine, but I think nickel is better. Still, it is what it is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Grande is a fine razor indeed. I take it that you got the new head with the wider cap which makes the OC milder than before. I have the older version which is pretty aggressive and gives very close shaves. After hearing about the newer caps, I have one in each color in the mail !

The Grande is a fine razor indeed. I take it that you got the new head with the wider cap which makes the OC milder than before. I have the older version which is pretty aggressive and gives very close shaves. After hearing about the newer caps, I have one in each color in the mail !

Yes, I have the newer version. I have no idea how much difference there is between the older and newer, but this razor has plenty of blade feel for me. It's not difficult, but I have to be careful. After 10 hours I could barely feel any stubble. This morning I shaved after 48 hours+, and my face felt like it does sometimes after 24 hours with some razors. I'm going to be using this razor a lot in the immediate future.

I really like my Grande. Mine is the newer version with the wider cap, but it's still plenty aggressive for my tastes. Very efficient as well -- I can usually get away with 2 pass shaves with the Grande that would take me 3 and some cleanup with some other razors I have.

Price to performance ratio is amazing, and the fact that it's solid brass is even better. If I wasn't trying to stop myself from buying more shaving gear, I'd probably have another Grande or maybe even a Piccolo by this point.

New Piccolo owner here.

Same head as the Grande, different (smaller) handle.

Coming from a DE89, I'm in love with this head. Smoother, more efficient, blade seems sharper, shaving angle seems wider, so what's not to like? Temperamental blade alignment. But that's just it showing it's Italian ... :D

The Grande is amazing. I probably should have bought one earlier. But the wider cap helped sell me. The razor doesn't leave many hairs standing.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If you feel the blade more than you like, try a slightly shallower angle. A shallow angle on this razor because it has such little gap can completely remove blade feel for me, but at the same time using it that shallow, the blade may start to tug if it isnt sharp enough for your stubble.

If you like blade feel, try Astra SP, SS, Gillette Nacet or Kai. All gave me a pronounced blade feel, but are easily smooth enough. The Kai lacking sharpness and I needed 4 passes ATG instead of one and a clean up.

If you'd like less blade feel, try any of the Gillette branded blades. Gillette black and Yellow especially. The Yellow gives me a simply sublime shave and I dont feel the blade at all, its like using that razor without a blade its so smooth for me.

If you'd like to feel the blade just enough to know you're using one, try a Polsilver. Equally as sharp as the Gillette Yellow if not sharper and with just a bit of blade feel so I know whats happening. The Gillette Yellow is so smooth that I can, and have, changed to a steeper angle unknowingly. With this razor you need to be very careful doing that or you'll pay.

The best shave I've ever had was with the Grande and a Gillette Yellow and a single pass ATG and one very small clean up for a BBS shave.

Fatip razors are RAD killers, unless your name is Rave hahaha.

upload_2017-10-9_20-52-58.png

Actually Esox, I don't really care whether I feel the blade or not. I don't have a preference. My main focus right now is to get a smooth, close shave on my neck without irritation. I just can't figure out what is causing it. It's the only place on my face that gives me this problem. It is definitely better with the Fatip, but it's still there. I've tried everything. Three pass with WTG, XTG, ATG. Then XG, ATG, then I tried your going with a one pass ATG. That one was the worst, but not really by much. No matter what I do, once I get to that ATG section on my neck, it feels like it "catches" and pulls. BUT, every once in a great while I get a buttery smooth shave and that doesn't happen and I end up with a BBS with no irritation. BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHY! I tried recreating everything from face prep to the exact way I shaved, same amount of time between shaves, etc. I have never been able to recreate it. I have done it with a fresh blade, I have done it with a blade with three shaves on it. I have done it once with my El Jefe, but only once. I just could never get back there again.

So that's what I'm searching for. An irritation free, close shaved neck. I'll try an Astra SP next and see how that works. Thanks for the feedback.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Actually Esox, I don't really care whether I feel the blade or not. I don't have a preference. My main focus right now is to get a smooth, close shave on my neck without irritation. I just can't figure out what is causing it. It's the only place on my face that gives me this problem. It is definitely better with the Fatip, but it's still there. I've tried everything. Three pass with WTG, XTG, ATG. Then XG, ATG, then I tried your going with a one pass ATG. That one was the worst, but not really by much. No matter what I do, once I get to that ATG section on my neck, it feels like it "catches" and pulls. BUT, every once in a great while I get a buttery smooth shave and that doesn't happen and I end up with a BBS with no irritation. BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHY! I tried recreating everything from face prep to the exact way I shaved, same amount of time between shaves, etc. I have never been able to recreate it. I have done it with a fresh blade, I have done it with a blade with three shaves on it. I have done it once with my El Jefe, but only once. I just could never get back there again.

So that's what I'm searching for. An irritation free, close shaved neck. I'll try an Astra SP next and see how that works. Thanks for the feedback.

"Catching" and "pulling" could be either angle, or a blade thats not sharp enough, or at least thats been my own experience.

I tend to use my Fatip shallow, and really all my razors I use shallow. I find that if I steepen the angle a bit I feel more blade, if I shallow out the angle a bit I feel less blade. If I feel a lot of blade from a steep angle, I can have irritation and a tuggy shave that can almost stutter and would, if I used any steeper an angle. If I feel tugging with a shallow angle, the blade isnt sharp enough for me.

From what you describe when you find that sweet spot and it works really well, it sounds as though you found that very small angle that works well for you. That same angle will be different with different razors. You might try picking one razor and work on finding that sweet spot and then maintaining it across a few shaves. You can do it because you have, the hard part is doing it repeatedly. Changing razors in the process may complicate matters.

One other thing you might try is changing your lather a bit. Try it on the thicker side for more cushion, then try it on the thinner side for more slickness.

The mythical "perfect shave" is out there for us all, and you've found it before, you will again.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
If you feel the blade more than you like, try a slightly shallower angle. A shallow angle on this razor because it has such little gap can completely remove blade feel for me, but at the same time using it that shallow, the blade may start to tug if it isnt sharp enough for your stubble.

If you like blade feel, try Astra SP, SS, Gillette Nacet or Kai. All gave me a pronounced blade feel, but are easily smooth enough. The Kai lacking sharpness and I needed 4 passes ATG instead of one and a clean up.

If you'd like less blade feel, try any of the Gillette branded blades. Gillette black and Yellow especially. The Yellow gives me a simply sublime shave and I dont feel the blade at all, its like using that razor without a blade its so smooth for me.

If you'd like to feel the blade just enough to know you're using one, try a Polsilver. Equally as sharp as the Gillette Yellow if not sharper and with just a bit of blade feel so I know whats happening. The Gillette Yellow is so smooth that I can, and have, changed to a steeper angle unknowingly. With this razor you need to be very careful doing that or you'll pay.

The best shave I've ever had was with the Grande and a Gillette Yellow and a single pass ATG and one very small clean up for a BBS shave.

Fatip razors are RAD killers, unless your name is Rave hahaha.

View attachment 835585
Then you just simply need more Fatip's.
Sincerely
Rave

Top Bottom