What's new

FaTip Gentile vs EJ DE89, how do you feel they compare? If you have any experiences with Greencult Razor GC1.1 let me know as well!

M

member 141132

The Green Cult is much heavier and much, much more aggressive/efficient than the EJ. Be aware of that before jumping in. It has a 0.1mm positive blade exposure.
Will do, it'll take some practise for sure. I can get good shaves as well from the Mühle r41 so I am okay with more aggressive razors. Thank you

M

member 141132

First off I'll say that I have no experience with the EJ DE89. I've never owned any EJ razors!
I do have experience with the GC 1.1 and the Fatip Gentile. For me the Gentile wasn't very effective.
The winners for Fatip are either the OC or OC slant. I don't really like OC's but I like Fatip's OC's. The Gentile always felt as if it was having a hard time because the lather would kind of just stick with every pass. I believe it's attributed to the fact that it has barely no blade gap. The OC takes care of that problem because the open comb allows the lather to flow.
It too has barely no blade gap but it's a non issue! Be aware of known alignment issues with Fatip. I've had like 6-7
Fatip's and they all suffer from that defect. You have to fiddle with it every time I do a blade change. Fatip's quality control isn't the best!
The GC 1.1 is fantastic! Pretty much the perfect blade gap and blade exposure for most users. It's also fully stainless and it's made in Austria. The quality blows the Fatip out of the water. But make sure you like long handles!
It's smooth and efficient! I'd take it over the Fatip any day. I liked it so much that I bought 2 in case I would ever need an extra. And I also have the GC 2.0 with the level II plate! Pretty much the same as the 1.1 but with a short/thick handle and a different finish. I honestly have been using the 1.1 more! It's a really great razor!
Pretty unbeatable for the cost!
Good luck with whatever you pick,
LRod

p.s. I've tried and owned many many razors, from low tier to artisan ones. And the GC's are on my top 5!

Read through this thread if you'd like:

I forgot to ask but does the GC 2.0 with plate II shave the same as gc 1.1? I like longer handles but if gc 2.0 is a much higher quality product I might consider it

I forgot to ask but does the GC 2.0 with plate II shave the same as gc 1.1? I like longer handles but if gc 2.0 is a much higher quality product I might consider it
To me they shave the same!
I've analyzed the shaves side by side and analyzed the design of the head and see no difference. Cosmetically the 2.0 has a top cap that is scalloped and the 1.1 is rounded. But internally I see no differences.
In terms of quality:
They have different finishes. The 2.0 is like a matte finish and the 1.1 is more of a polished finish. The 1.1 has visible machining marks (which I actually like) and the 2.0 does not.
The 1.1 looks more industrial! Another thing, the 2.0 feels heavier to me and the 1.1 more balanced. I think it's because of the difference in handle size.
But the quality is definitely the same since I believe they were both built by the same people. For me, I can lose my 2.0 and would be content with the 1.1.
If your ok with a more industrial looking tool and a long handle, get the 1.1, if you want something that looks refined and a short handle, go for the 2.0.
LRod

M

member 141132

To me they shave the same!
I've analyzed the shaves side by side and analyzed the design of the head and see no difference. Cosmetically the 2.0 has a top cap that is scalloped and the 1.1 is rounded. But internally I see no differences.
In terms of quality:
They have different finishes. The 2.0 is like a matte finish and the 1.1 is more of a polished finish. The 1.1 has visible machining marks (which I actually like) and the 2.0 does not.
The 1.1 looks more industrial! Another thing, the 2.0 feels heavier to me and the 1.1 more balanced. I think it's because of the difference in handle size.
But the quality is definitely the same since I believe they were both built by the same people. For me, I can lose my 2.0 and would be content with the 1.1.
If your ok with a more industrial looking tool and a long handle, get the 1.1, if you want something that looks refined and a short handle, go for the 2.0.
LRod
Industrial look is nice, I like that. As for the scalloped vs rounded part, can you send pictures? I've a hard time picturing it in my head. And does the top cap difference change anything or do you think it was done to differentiate the two razors?

Industrial look is nice, I like that. As for the scalloped vs rounded part, can you send pictures? I've a hard time picturing it in my head. And does the top cap difference change anything or do you think it was done to differentiate the two razors?
1.1, the top of the cap is almost fully rounded:

1.1(1).jpg

1.1.jpg

Top of the 2.0 is like beveled (scallops):

2.0.jpg

2.0(1).jpg

Like I previously said, I don't think it makes a difference in terms of the shave. I see it as cosmetic!
They both feel the same to me.
LRod

M

member 141132

1.1, the top of the cap is almost fully rounded:

View attachment 1659042

View attachment 1659038

Top of the 2.0 is like beveled (scallops):

View attachment 1659039
View attachment 1659040

Like I previously said, I don't think it makes a difference in terms of the shave. I see it as cosmetic!
They both feel the same to me.
LRod
Oh yeah looks about the same, it doesn't seem like a drastic change. I'll get the 1.1 then, 60 euro seems like a good price, 100 euro is a bit much atm

If I end up loving the 1.1 I will probably get the 2.0 at some point just to test out all the different plates

I have no experience with EJ razors - I do have a KCG razor which supposedly is modeled after the R89. At least performs in the same ball park. The Fatip Gentile is a great shaver. Mild and yet effective. Compared however to the Fatip OC it is less effective. The OC provides a closer shave while maintaining the same level of comfort. I have both and just recently used the Gentile. Better performance than I remembered - but if I had to choose, I would pick the OC.

Now the GC1.1 (I have the GC2 II which is basically the same razor) is much more blade forward compared to the Fatip and I think overall it is more effective than the Fatip. Also less comfortable if you are not careful. Blade choice also matters, whereas the Fatip can deal with just about anything.

That’s my experience too, although I’ve only had 6 shaves with the GC I’m finding it quite ruthless.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For me, the Gentile was a decent razor, but it just never gave me the quality of an DE89 shave. It was closer but more irritating. I have used the Gentile, the OC and the slant they make and non ever were as good as a DE89 for me. I've shaved with many other razors too. AS-D2, Blackbird, MMOC, Gem Junior, R41, Karve, et al. I liked all better than the Fatip razors. I wish that was not the case because I like what Fatip is doing, but they just have not been for me as much as I wished they were.

I own both a de89 and a Gentile, although I haven't shaved with them a lot recently. My recollection is that they are both very good; the Fatips tend to be very smooth/minimal resistance and are quieter. I like how both of them shave. I do tend to shave with my Fatip slants and open combs more than the Gentile, though (more efficient, no downsides). I haven't experienced any blade alignment issues.

Top Bottom