What's new

FaTip Gentile vs EJ DE89, how do you feel they compare? If you have any experiences with Greencult Razor GC1.1 let me know as well!

M

member 141132

Basically I am looking for some opinions on FaTip Gentile vs the EJ DE89 (current daily driver), how do they compare in terms of aggressiveness and efficiency? I am aware of FaTip's subpar finishing and sometimes shoddy qc but for a brass of that price I don't mind

This one's taking a backseat but how do you feel about the Greencult Razor GC1.1 if you have used it? It's a bit pricier than the FaTip's but still budget friendly.

I moved on my 89 ages ago as could never get a smooth effective shave with it. That was my DE early days so it might have been down to technique.

I have the gentile and GC 1.1.

The Gentile I’ll be selling when I get round to it. I have about 6 Fatips but this one is average at best.

The GC has become one of my favourite razors. It’s very solid and well made. Better than any razor I’ve previously owned although I’ve not gone top tier yet. It’s very efficient and in ways I can’t describe gives me more pleasure than any of my dozen or so razors in use.

Hope that helps.

M

member 141132

I moved on my 89 ages ago as could never get a smooth effective shave with it. That was my DE early days so it might have been down to technique.

I have the gentile and GC 1.1.

The Gentile I’ll be selling when I get round to it. I have about 6 Fatips but this one is average at best.

The GC has become one of my favourite razors. It’s very solid and well made. Better than any razor I’ve previously owned although I’ve not gone top tier yet. It’s very efficient and in ways I can’t describe gives me more pleasure than any of my dozen or so razors in use.

Hope that helps.
That's good to know, thank you. Sounds like the GC1.1 is a winner and more efficient than either the FaTip or DE89

That's good to know, thank you. Sounds like the GC1.1 is a winner and more efficient than either the FaTip or DE89
If you go for it, let me know your thoughts. It’s definitely one of those razors that I look forward to using each day.

M

member 141132

If you go for it, let me know your thoughts. It’s definitely one of those razors that I look forward to using each day.
Will do.

I wanted to get the Rockwell 6S for a good bit as well but i've heard so many mixed things about it that i'm not sure if i'd enjoy it

First off I'll say that I have no experience with the EJ DE89. I've never owned any EJ razors!
I do have experience with the GC 1.1 and the Fatip Gentile. For me the Gentile wasn't very effective.
The winners for Fatip are either the OC or OC slant. I don't really like OC's but I like Fatip's OC's. The Gentile always felt as if it was having a hard time because the lather would kind of just stick with every pass. I believe it's attributed to the fact that it has barely no blade gap. The OC takes care of that problem because the open comb allows the lather to flow.
It too has barely no blade gap but it's a non issue! Be aware of known alignment issues with Fatip. I've had like 6-7
Fatip's and they all suffer from that defect. You have to fiddle with it every time I do a blade change. Fatip's quality control isn't the best!
The GC 1.1 is fantastic! Pretty much the perfect blade gap and blade exposure for most users. It's also fully stainless and it's made in Austria. The quality blows the Fatip out of the water. But make sure you like long handles!
It's smooth and efficient! I'd take it over the Fatip any day. I liked it so much that I bought 2 in case I would ever need an extra. And I also have the GC 2.0 with the level II plate! Pretty much the same as the 1.1 but with a short/thick handle and a different finish. I honestly have been using the 1.1 more! It's a really great razor!
Pretty unbeatable for the cost!
Good luck with whatever you pick,
LRod

p.s. I've tried and owned many many razors, from low tier to artisan ones. And the GC's are on my top 5!

Read through this thread if you'd like:

M

member 141132

First off I'll say that I have no experience with the EJ DE89. I've never owned any EJ razors!
I do have experience with the GC 1.1 and the Fatip Gentile. For me the Gentile wasn't very effective.
The winners for Fatip are either the OC or OC slant. I don't really like OC's but I like Fatip's OC's. The Gentile always felt as if it was having a hard time because the lather would kind of just stick with every pass. I believe it's attributed to the fact that it has barely no blade gap. The OC takes care of that problem because the open comb allows the lather to flow.
It too has barely no blade gap but it's a non issue! Be aware of known alignment issues with Fatip. I've had like 6-7
Fatip's and they all suffer from that defect. You have to fiddle with it every time I do a blade change. Fatip's quality control isn't the best!
The GC 1.1 is fantastic! Pretty much the perfect blade gap and blade exposure for most users. It's also fully stainless and it's made in Austria. The quality blows the Fatip out of the water. But make sure you like long handles!
It's smooth and efficient! I'd take it over the Fatip any day. I liked it so much that I bought 2 in case I would ever need an extra. And I also have the GC 2.0 with the level II plate! Pretty much the same as the 1.1 but with a short/thick handle and a different finish. I honestly have been using the 1.1 more! It's a really great razor!
Pretty unbeatable for the cost!
Good luck with whatever you pick,
LRod

p.s. I've tried and owned many many razors, from low tier to artisan ones. And the GC's are on my top 5!
Thank you for the detailed answer, I really appreciate it!

The GC1.1 sounds like a perfect razor as I prefer longer handles for shaving the back of my head. Cnc machined in a sustainable enviromentally way in Austria is a big plus too. The price is very nice for what you get as well

Glad to hear it hangs with Artisans in your opinion as well

The GC1.1 sounds like a perfect razor as I prefer longer handles for shaving the back of my head. Cnc machined in a sustainable enviromentally way in Austria is a big plus too. The price is very nice for what you get as well
I just edited my post. Read through the GC thread that I posted. It starts talking about the original 1.0, but start reading somewhere in the middle and you'll see all our comments and experiences with the 1.1 & 2.0
Based on your preference, I believe you will enjoy the GC and will be very happy with it's performance and quality.
LRod

Glad to hear it hangs with Artisans in your opinion as well
By the way, I don't know where you're at (I'm in the USA). For us, the cheapest place to get the GC's is from
"Your Shaving". Might be the cheapest for European's as well since the Euro prices seem decent too!
Here is the direct link for the 1.1:

M

member 141132

By the way, I don't know where you're at (I'm in the USA). For us, the cheapest place to get the GC's is from
"Your Shaving". Might be the cheapest for European's as well since the Euro prices seem decent too!
Here is the direct link for the 1.1:

I can order directly from their website for the same price so i'll do that. Makes handling issues (if there any) much easier

Yourshaving doesn't respond to my emails so don't want to risk no communication on a 60 euro item

I'd like to put in a good word for Fatip razors. Consider you are getting a solid brass razor that shaves extremely well and looks nice for $20-25. It is in its own category.

I'd advise not to get the Gentile, though. The OC razors are more effective and just as easy to use. I'd suggest either the standard OC or the slant OC, whichever you find more appealing.

I've not had the alignment issues so many people talk about. Just hold the razor cap upside-down when loading the blade, put on the base plate, and the blade usually centers itself as the handle is tightened down. Really easy to do.

M

member 141132

I'd like to put in a good word for Fatip razors. Consider you are getting a solid brass razor that shaves extremely well and looks nice for $20-25. It is in its own category.

I'd advise not to get the Gentile, though. The OC razors are more effective and just as easy to use. I'd suggest either the standard OC or the slant OC, whichever you find more appealing.

I've not had the alignment issues so many people talk about. Just hold the razor cap upside-down when loading the blade, put on the base plate, and the blade usually centers itself as the handle is tightened down. Really easy to do.
Slant OC sounds nice, I enjoy my Merkur 39C and it's closer to 40 bucks here because of VAT and taxes, still a good deal. The GC1.1 is a safer bet for a daily shaver I think but a FaTip OC Slant is something I have on my list as well, thank you for the input.

lasta

Blade Biter
I love how the Fatip shaves. Very smooth yet above average efficiency!

But the alignment issues are big enough (IMO) for me to pass it on to the next unsuspecting sucker. I rather give it away than deal with it!

No experience with Greencult, but if you are looking for a small step up, I would point you towards Gillette New's. Vintage, but as long as it's not bent, they will prove excellent shavers. Cheap too.

I love how the Fatip shaves. Very smooth yet above average efficiency!

But the alignment issues are big enough (IMO) for me to pass it on to the next unsuspecting sucker. I rather give it away than deal with it!

No experience with Greencult, but if you are looking for a small step up, I would point you towards Gillette New's. Vintage, but as long as it's not bent, they will prove excellent shavers. Cheap too.
I have an idea for an inexpensive gadget that would fit Fatip OC razors and guarantee nearly perfect blade alignment. Maybe that would finally shut people up about it!

😁

Seriously, I have not found it to be a serious issue in my experience. Gillette Old Types and similar designs are more or less the same. I'll agree the Gillette NEW design solves any such issues, though.

I have no experience with EJ razors - I do have a KCG razor which supposedly is modeled after the R89. At least performs in the same ball park. The Fatip Gentile is a great shaver. Mild and yet effective. Compared however to the Fatip OC it is less effective. The OC provides a closer shave while maintaining the same level of comfort. I have both and just recently used the Gentile. Better performance than I remembered - but if I had to choose, I would pick the OC.

Now the GC1.1 (I have the GC2 II which is basically the same razor) is much more blade forward compared to the Fatip and I think overall it is more effective than the Fatip. Also less comfortable if you are not careful. Blade choice also matters, whereas the Fatip can deal with just about anything.

As for head shaves, the GC is excellent - even better than the Fatip (I prefer the Old Type for head shaving compared to the Fatip). I hear from more experienced head shavers that the Fatip Slant is almost unbeatable. But as you said, the longer handle of the GC is excellent for the back of your head. The weight is great and it just glides through.

Cheers,

Guido.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I also have zero experience with the DE89 or even the Gillette KCG, but I do have and thoroughly enjoy the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2. I like it even more after choosing it as one of the two razors I bought along with me on this 7 week trip that is winding down.

Obviously, no one can guarantee results for anyone else, but I’ve had good experiences with any of the blades I’ve loaded in it. So far, for me, Wizamet, Personna Comfort Coated USA, Nacet, Perma-Sharp and 7 O’clock Black blades have all been excellent. I know @Guido75 didn’t care for the Nacets so perhaps some caution would be in order there.

Will do.

I wanted to get the Rockwell 6S for a good bit as well but i've heard so many mixed things about it that i'm not sure if i'd enjoy it
I got a Rockwell 6S because of all the hype and don't care for it much. I think it's kinda clunky and very inefficient. Especially if you go several days between shaves. I tried all the plates and even switched up plates between passes. I got a FOCS and haven't looked back. I liked it so much I bought three more, one as a spare and two as gifts. The recipients are always telling me "the best razor I ever had". They came with a pack of blades each.
IMG_0461.JPG

Would say many people who shave one one of the Edwin Jagger 89 type or series Razors, it is the only razor they have. They are the people who but it because friends has one, some clerk said this is good general Razor. Paired with right blade for you. I is good razor. EJ *9 head has been coppered and tweeted by out razor builders.

Then you go people like many member here they are like hunters have to have special custom firearm, calaber for each game they hunt.

M

member 141132

I got a Rockwell 6S because of all the hype and don't care for it much. I think it's kinda clunky and very inefficient. Especially if you go several days between shaves. I tried all the plates and even switched up plates between passes. I got a FOCS and haven't looked back. I liked it so much I bought three more, one as a spare and two as gifts. The recipients are always telling me "the best razor I ever had". They came with a pack of blades each.View attachment 1657860
Your description is what i've heard about the 6S. It has great marketing behind it and people want to love it as it's crowdfunded but damn if it doesn't appeal to me at all

GC1.1 is what i'll get next but i'll also try out the FaTip's at some point

The Green Cult is much heavier and much, much more aggressive/efficient than the EJ. Be aware of that before jumping in. It has a 0.1mm positive blade exposure.

Top Bottom