What's new

Fatip Friday

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I don't know as it came in the mk2 (older mk2) packaging like the modern graphics and colour but the same size as the mk1 packaging if that makes sense (modern style but smaller box without the razor being "hung")
Also it is nickel plated and before the retool. So who knows it would explain it's aggression.

My Gentile was bought this year and is fantastic!

Measuring the width of the top cap will also tell you. :)

Measuring the width of the top cap will also tell you. :)

Well it is 19mm? The gentile head is wider almost 20mm see photos (didn't add the gentile measurement). They both have the Fatip logo stamped.
Open comb is nickel
Gentile is black metal
IMG_20210522_130657.jpg

IMG_20210522_130418.jpg
IMG_20210522_130353.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Well it is 19mm? The gentile head is wider almost 20mm see photos (didn't add the gentile measurement). They both have the Fatip logo stamped.
Open comb is nickel
Gentile is black metalView attachment 1270501
View attachment 1270502View attachment 1270503

I believe that19mm is within the Mk2 spec (@Raven Koenes please confirm).

I'll find the post where I measured all my Mk1 and Mk2 caps and link to it.

As an experiment (for SCIENCE, of course ;)), you could try the 20mm cap on your Grande and see if it makes a difference. :cool:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I don't know as it came in the mk2 (older mk2) packaging like the modern graphics and colour but thethe same size as the mk1 packaging if that makes sense (modern style but smaller box without the razor being "hung")
Also it is nickel plated and before the retool. So who knows it would explain it's aggression.

My Gentile was bought this year and is fantastic!
It's a Mk2. The nickel Grandes come in the small modern box same as the Nickel Piccolo. The new Piccolo chrome comes in a large box, go figure. The early Mk1's the cap runs closer to 19mm. The later Mk2's run closer to 20mm with the average being 19.5mm. I like the wider caps. It gives more blade rigidity. I don't find a whole lot of difference between the early or later model Mk2's. The Mk1 with the 18mm cap, however, is a totally different beast. Variances within Fatips is a testiment to both their "artistic" and "engineering" excellence. It takes true genius to master alternative variances.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@Cafebarian - Here is the link to the thread where I measured all of the Fatip, Joris and Schöne razors I had at the time:

To prevent any confusion (I was fairly new to Fatip razors at the time), the correct spelling is Fatip - the "t" is NOT capitalized. :)

Well yes... This morning an early focs-shaving (Had to work very late yesterday so an evening shave wasn't an option).

Brush : Muhle Rytmo badger
Soap : TFS Shave & Roses Dracaris
Razor : Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade : Gillette Platinum
After shave : Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso
After shave : Nivea AS balm

A very quick 3 pass shave with cold water rinces between the passes - DFS

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Piccolo Cr
Blade: New Lord Platinum (5)
Brush: Omega Evo Ovale
Soap: Proraso White (Tub)
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Lilac Vegetal, The Veg!
042_20.jpg

I finished up the week on a very nice note. The shave was bbs with a dfs on my neck. It was pleasant. Next week I plan on using my Fatip Piccolo Cr, Polsilver or some unopened/untried nos Gillette Platinums form the 1970's. I think I will use Proraso Green Splash. My Omega Evo is a given.

So, unfortunately I cannot participate in Fatip Friday because I do not have one. However, I am considering purchasing one. The one issue that's holding me back is a video I watched on YouTube from Maggard Razors about issues with the blade alignment. It's three years old, so I don't know if that's still a problem or not.

I would appreciate your thoughts/input.

...The one issue that's holding me back is a video I watched on YouTube from Maggard Razors about issues with the blade alignment. It's three years old, so I don't know if that's still a problem or not.

I would appreciate your thoughts/input.

TLDR -- Fatips shave amazingly well for the money, that's the main reason to get one. Get the OC slant and enjoy it.

Brad has probably scared hundreds if not thousands away with that video.
😱

Bear in mind Brad made this video so people would not expect all-brass perfection for $20 and demand their money back. IMHO, he exaggerates the cosmetic flaws and other issues.

All three-post designs have some tolerances built in since there are slight dimensional differences between blades and the razor manufacturer wants to allow for any blade to drop in and not get hung up.

With my Fatips, I have found when loading the blade with the razor head upside-down it correctly aligns automatically most every time. If it's necessary to adjust the blade, this only takes a few seconds. There is some extra space under the posts on the Fatips, but if you load the blade upside-down that will not cause issues. The blade will ride down the posts when you are tightening up the handle and will be firmly clamped in the correct position.

Looseness between the blade and the posts is not a defect. If the posts were crooked and you could not manually align the blade, that would be a defect and you should exchange the razor for a good one.

I have 2 Fatips, a Grande Gentile and a Grande OC. Only once the blade was not good aligned so it bit me. When I load a blade I hold the top cap upside down, place the blade then the bottom plate and screw the handle on it. Then with both sides of a razor a small stroke to see if the blade is in position.

Top Bottom