What's new

Fatip branded DE blades, wait what?

Don't even get me started. The head has 9 teeth instead of 11. Don't expect better blade alignment. Expect a less close shave compared to Fatip MKII. Although the price is much higher the quality is not better. I received a defective one - a tiny patch of missing plating on the inside of the cap. Got a replacement without sending back the first one.

I've heard a rumor that the Fatip razors made in the last 1-2 years have ''almost'' no issues. I wonder if that's true. I used to get very nice shaves from my Fatip Grande, but sold it, because I've got a Schone and I find it to be not as good as the Fatip.

I've heard a rumor that the Fatip razors made in the last 1-2 years have ''almost'' no issues. I wonder if that's true. I used to get very nice shaves from my Fatip Grande, but sold it, because I've got a Schone and I find it to be not as good as the Fatip.
Not true. I bought a Nickel Grande originale a few months ago. It had lost plating on the cap. Have been sent a replacement with the remark that it is an artisan company and I should take it as it is. The one I received as a replacement was even worse. It will not align whatever you do, as the bullets are not soldered straight.

To me that is just a rumor. I have nothing nice to say about these razors so I will keep my mouth shut.
Otherwise, I am glad you guys enjoy yours.

Fatip razors have a strong love-hate relationship and I rarely see anyone in the middle as being good, but not the best or the worst. I remember that it took me some time to love mine and the moment I stopped using it for a while, I've started getting bad shaves again, so for me the only way to get great shaves is to keep using it all the time, but that's not an option for me.

...Have been sent a replacement with the remark that it is an artisan company and I should take it as it is...
The downside of this concept is that it sets the standard too low and it will be expected from "artisans" to produce crappy products. Not saying that these razors are crappy.
My opinion only.
Reading remarks like this one makes me shy away from all "artisan" products.

The downside of this concept is that it sets the standard too low and it will be expected from "artisans" to produce crappy products. Not saying that these razors are crappy.
My opinion only.

Most ''artisan'' stuff are nothing more than a way to make the whales to come to the beach. I've seen brushes going for over $300 and they are indistinguishable from similar brushes that cost $20. I also don't understand the rave about the more expensive soaps. If a person can't get a good shave with a decent, but inexpensive soap, then no soap can help him.

My opinion only.
Let's face it. The only good thing about Fatips is they are made of brass. Fit and finish is practically non-existent. In my book the Old type beats the MKII any day. And I don't even wanna start talking about the Lo Storto.
Now would be a good time for the Fatip cult members to bash me. :c1:

Let's face it. The only good thing about Fatips is they are made of brass. Fit and finish is practically non-existent. In my book the Old type beats the MKII any day. And I don't even wanna start talking about the Lo Storto.
Now would be a good time for the Fatip cult members to bash me. :c1:
How dare you! :c1:

Kidding aside I have a bunch of them. I don’t look too closely and they shave fine. Still there are enough people here that had totally crappy specimens so yes QC is an issue otoh they start at 15something here in Europe…

I must be lucky. My FOCS is fine in all respects, including blade alignment. The shaving experience and performance match my $150-$200 razors.

The FOCS is a great razor indeed. I'm not sure if the aligment of mine is fine or not, since I haven't used it in a while, but I remember having problems with the top cap. Some blades of particular brands tend to stuck on the thread for whatever reason and I find that very annoying.

I think Fatip as a brand has a huge potential if they finally address their issues and start fixing those issues once and for all. I find them to be quite lazy and irresponsible

The FOCS is a great razor indeed. I'm not sure if the aligment of mine is fine or not, since I haven't used it in a while, but I remember having problems with the top cap. Some blades of particular brands tend to stuck on the thread for whatever reason and I find that very annoying.

I think Fatip as a brand has a huge potential if they finally address their issues and start fixing those issues once and for all. I find them to be quite lazy and irresponsible
Again, I must be lucky. My FOCS is all good.

I bought them recently and they're really great, very sharp and smooth. It's the type of shaving when you don't feel the blade but have the closest shave from the 1st pass, something like that. For now, I don't know how durable are they, we'll see

Talking about the price... pretty expensive (for me). In my area, they cost 5 USD for the pack of 10 blades. For example, Feather cost 3 USD per 10 blades, German Wilkinson cost 1.25 USD per the same pack.

fip.jpg

Last edited:
This picture was send to me and to some degree it confirms the rumors about the blades. That's the owner of rasoigoodfellas, which for those who don't know is an Italian website for shaving gear and I think it's safe to say that what he wrote is probably true. I have nothing against the Fatip blades and I honestly don't care, but I would never pay that much for 200 DE blades, just forget it.

View attachment 1548013
Well they changed their mind, because it’s been available on their website for a couple of months now.

Guido

Well they changed their mind, because it’s been available on their website for a couple of months now.

Guido

That's true, they have changed their mind, but their first response was that they don't intend to sell those blade. I still think that they are very expensive and I won't even bother trying them, since I don't believe that they would beat my top blades, which are also dirt cheap.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
The price point of these blades is more than some of the razors I have. So I'll definitely be taking a by ball on these.

Top Bottom