What's new

Fatip blade alignment

I watched a Maggard video on youtube that showed a Fatip blade slipping out of position easily and I'm just wondering if current Fatip razors still have blade alignment issues. Someone told me the company changed hands several years ago and has better Quality control now

Does anyone know for sure?

Fatip doesn't have the best blade alignment. While they provide amazing shaves for $20, I found that it became tedious to always realign the blade every time I would disassemble the razor to let it dry. Some people apparently have razors that are fine, but mine isn't the best. I recommend essentially assembling the razor upside down in the palm of your hand, that always gets pretty good results.

I've not heard or read of Fatip, the company, changing hands, but for whatever reason Fatip razor QC has definitely improved over the last several years. That improvement includes more consistent finish and plating quality and fewer issues with blade alignment. Having said that, Fatip razors all use the three-stud design which is inherently weak in terms of blade alignment. Some razors with this design are better than others, but all are less than perfect, for sure. The current Fatips, in my experience, are sort of in the middle of the pack in this regard. They are usually better than most of the cheapie zamac clones, but definitely not in the category of the high end stainless stuff.

I have a few Fatips, and all require some attention to blade alignment. But they all will align perfectly with a small bit of manual effort. This minor inconvenience is well rewarded, as Fatips are terrific shavers, solid brass, and priced at an amazing value. If you're on the fence about Fatip, don't be: they are great razors and the blade alignment issues are really no big deal.

I watched a Maggard video on youtube that showed a Fatip blade slipping out of position easily and I'm just wondering if current Fatip razors still have blade alignment issues...
Bear in mind Brad made this video so people would not expect all-brass perfection for $20 and demand their money back. IMHO, he exaggerates the cosmetic flaws and other issues. Fatips shave amazingly well for the money, that's the main reason to get one.
...Fatip razor QC has definitely improved over the last several years. That improvement includes more consistent finish and plating quality and fewer issues with blade alignment. Having said that, Fatip razors all use the three-stud design which is inherently weak in terms of blade alignment...If you're on the fence about Fatip, don't be: they are great razors and the blade alignment issues are really no big deal.
+1

All three-stud designs have some tolerances built in since there are slight differences between blades and the razor manufacturer wants to allow for any blade to drop in and not get hung up. Bear in mind this basic design goes back to the early 20th century when manufacturing was not as precise as it is nowadays.

With my Fatips, I have found when loading the blade upside-down it correctly aligns automatically most every time. If it's necessary to adjust the blade, this only takes a few seconds. There is some extra space under the posts on the Fatips, but if you load the blade upside-down that will not cause issues. The blade will ride down the posts when you are tightening up the handle and will be firmly clamped in the correct position.

MY personal experience with both a Schone and a Fatip ( same factory I read) was the QC on finish was certainly good for a 20$ brass razor. However both had significant alignment issues, every time I loaded a blade. Dropping a blade upside down on the top cap as I do with my Mercury Progress never solved the misalignment. Another trick that works with other razors, pressing on the blade side tab while tightening down the top cap and base plate did not work. Trying to adjust the blade alignment using both side tabs while tightening down did not work. I could never get a blade aligned in either razor to get a usable setup. So I gave up on the razor. Many have little or no issues and love they way they shave. If you buy one I hope you have a better experience.

My Fatip, like others have observed with theirs, will usually align properly if you place the top cap on a surface (I prefer a washcloth to my palm) and drop the blade in before placing the bottom plate on top and tightening the handle. If not, the adjustment is very quick and easy by grabbing the side tabs. That said, if you disassemble the razor after each use, it could become a bit tedious. As one of the folks who only takes the blade out when he changes blades, this is not an issue for me. While my Fatip is not my favorite DE razor (I prefer both my Muhle Rocca and Razorock Game Chnanger), it is easily the best value for money that I have seem in a new razor.

Between the trigger finger and thumb I squeeze the blade ends with the cap held upside down. The blade should bow upward and the edges of the cutout of the blade will then contact the posts securely and the blade will center itself. While still squeezing the blade, drop the bottom plate on and screw the handle in place while the blade is still being squeezed. I don't let go of the blade until the handle is tight. Consistent blade alignment, works with other razors.

Last edited:
Half the time, the blade dropping thing others have described works perfectly for me. The other half of the time, it just takes a few seconds to get it right. And I didn't know about the blade flex thing. Can't wait to try that.

What I do is tighten it down enough to where the blade isn't loose any more, but I can still move it via the blade tabs. Then, when I tighten it down, it doesn't move more.

I own several Fatips and have never had any issues with the blade losing alignment during the shave. Never actually heard of that being an issue.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've not heard or read of Fatip, the company, changing hands, but for whatever reason Fatip razor QC has definitely improved over the last several years. That improvement includes more consistent finish and plating quality and fewer issues with blade alignment. Having said that, Fatip razors all use the three-stud design which is inherently weak in terms of blade alignment. Some razors with this design are better than others, but all are less than perfect, for sure. The current Fatips, in my experience, are sort of in the middle of the pack in this regard. They are usually better than most of the cheapie zamac clones, but definitely not in the category of the high end stainless stuff.

I have a few Fatips, and all require some attention to blade alignment. But they all will align perfectly with a small bit of manual effort. This minor inconvenience is well rewarded, as Fatips are terrific shavers, solid brass, and priced at an amazing value. If you're on the fence about Fatip, don't be: they are great razors and the blade alignment issues are really no big deal.
Well said! :)
Bear in mind Brad made this video so people would not expect all-brass perfection for $20 and demand their money back. IMHO, he exaggerates the cosmetic flaws and other issues. Fatips shave amazingly well for the money, that's the main reason to get one.

+1

All three-stud designs have some tolerances built in since there are slight differences between blades and the razor manufacturer wants to allow for any blade to drop in and not get hung up. Bear in mind this basic design goes back to the early 20th century when manufacturing was not as precise as it is nowadays.

With my Fatips, I have found when loading the blade upside-down it correctly aligns automatically most every time. If it's necessary to adjust the blade, this only takes a few seconds. There is some extra space under the posts on the Fatips, but if you load the blade upside-down that will not cause issues. The blade will ride down the posts when you are tightening up the handle and will be firmly clamped in the correct position.
This is what I do. :)
Three seconds once a week to align the blade is a very small price to pay for such a terrific,and killer value for money, shaver.
Well said! :)
My Fatip, like others have observed with theirs, will usually align properly if you place the top cap on a surface (I prefer a washcloth to my palm) and drop the blade in before placing the bottom plate on top and tightening the handle. If not, the adjustment is very quick and easy by grabbing the side tabs. That said, if you disassemble the razor after each use, it could become a bit tedious. As one of the folks who only takes the blade out when he changes blades, this is not an issue for me. While my Fatip is not my favorite DE razor (I prefer both my Muhle Rocca and Razorock Game Chnanger), it is easily the best value for money that I have seem in a new razor.
With my Fatips (as with all of my razors) I disassemble, clean and flip the blade after each use. Still get spot on blade alignment with minimal effort. :)
Between the trigger finger and thumb I squeeze the blade ends with the cap held upside down. The blade should bow upward and the edges of the cutout of the blade will then contact the posts securely and the blade will center itself. While still squeezing the blade, drop the bottom plate on and screw the handle in place while the blade is still being squeezed. I don't let go of the blade until the handle is tight. Consistent blade alignment, works with other razors.
Interesting method. I'll try it and see how it works. :)

My Fatip Gentile is both my best and worst razor in my small collection. When I get the alignment right, it is an amazingly smooth and consistently effective razor. But if I get the alignment wrong by even a nano-inch, one side won't cut enough and the other side will be rough on my face. A truly frustrating experience. Thusly, I have started shaving far more with my other razors (Tatara Masamune, Lupo, GC68 and SLOC). Such a drag to have to fiddle with the alignment as much a I have to.

Just buy one. Best razor under £100 for my money!

The blade aligns perfectly nearly every time - just as others have said: load it onto am upside down cap, then place the base plate on, and then screw on the handle. I do clamp the base plate down with my fingers before screwing on the handle, so for that reason I put a towel under the cap to give more grip.

It takes only a handful of seconds longer than loading any other razor with 'perfect' alignment.

The shaves are superb.

I just picked up a Fatip Piccolo Special Edition. It came with some GSBs. I haven't used it yet but I did a blade test with both plates. Mine seems to line up with no problem.

I think I read in another thread that the Fatips are somewhat rigid and fairly efficient. I plan on using it next month. I am mostly using a Gillette NEW LC this month.

Last edited:
...There is no blade gap and the cap clamps the blade to the base plate really effectively. The blade exposure ensures that it is nicely efficient! :ihih:
There is actually a minuscule blade gap, the blade is clamped a little ways in from the edges and the comb teeth curve down and so slightly away from the blade.

There is actually a minuscule blade gap, the blade is clamped a little ways in from the edges and the comb teeth curve down and so slightly away from the blade.
You definitely knew the point I was making... Being a bit pedantic there, aren't we?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If there were no blade gap, i.e. zero gap, the razor would leave strips of hair uncut.

Technically yeah, thats a rational theory, but its not been my experience. My made in Canada Old Type has, I dont know, half a blade thickness of gap I guess, if measured from the blades edge, and it leaves nothing behind that I've found. Not even the top layer of skin if you arent careful lol.

Canadian.jpg

My Grande on the other hand, has generous blade gap by comparison, between the green lines.

FatipGrande_Gap-.Exposure.JPG

All razors that use the alignment pin system, even the Merkur 34C, may need the blade aligned. If you watch any NickShaves Youtube videos, he usually used a 34C and checks and aligns the blade before every shave with it.

Its a blade alignment system thats more than 100 years old. Not all blades alignment holes are the same size either. Bolzano blades fit in my Grande much tighter than most other blades. Because of the alignment holes in the blade, razors that use the pin system need to be capable of fitting all DE blades, because of that they will never load all DE blades perfectly, but Fatips do pretty well.

When used at the proper angle, the blades edge should be the last thing on your skin. The blade always follows the teeth of the comb and without a scalloped blade edge, it should leave nothing behind. If you're seeing comb marks in the lather, you're using more comb than blade. A razors comb was, I believe, meant for lining the hairs up to meet the blade when shaving longer growth.

Top Bottom