What's new

FaTip Alignment Issues?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for clarifying that. We don't know much about razors and it is always good to have someone explaining how things work.

I think you may know quite a lot. That however, does not mean everyone that reads this thread will have your knowledge.

... But I'm just not willing to accept alignment issues even if they are slight. Not when my 60+ year old gillettes, razorocks, etc all align perfectly every time.
Those razors lack the feature Fatips have. Razorock should learn from Fatip how to properly design a safety razor head. A 1mm play and a crooked blade would sell more stainless razors and Razorock would become more popular.

...all align perfectly every time.
That's a defect, right there. How would anyone have one side shave differently then the other?
:biggrin1:

There is no perfect Fatip. It is not an alignment issue, it is a design feature. The bullets that pass through the holes are smaller than the holes. Therefore, there is play around the bullets. As long as there is play, there will be the possibility of misaligning the blade.

Thanks for clarifying. But for me that changes nothing. I don't want that "play" in any razor I own and have to mess with manually aligning it. Not when there are other razors out there without that dubious "feature" . Others obviously disagree and that's fine.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
How would anyone have one side shave differently then the other?

How or why?

The 'how' is easy, just adjust the blade that way. The 'why' could be different for everyone. Personally, if I have more than 100 hours growth and I want a closer first pass, I adjust the blade to give me maximum blade exposure on one side because it increases the level of efficiency and gives me a closer first pass. For the remaining passes, I just change sides.

Those razors lack the feature Fatips have. Razorock should learn from Fatip how to properly design a safety razor head. A 1mm play and a crooked blade would sell more stainless razors and Razorock would become more popular.

That's a defect, right there. How would anyone have one side shave differently then the other?
:biggrin1:

Well played sir!!

Fatip is one of those razors that aren't for everyone. If an "old world" all brass Italian razor that is also inexpensive is your thing... however they are far from prefect. They remind me of vintage Italian motorcycles in a way.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Like a Moto Guzzi!

You just made me have to look at them again...

Screenshot 2021-09-13 at 17-12-03 MGX-21_hotspot_main_1500x1000_etl png (WEBP Image, 1500 × 10...png

I had my heart set on a Laverda in 1984 but that dream was never realized.

It seems I found a compromise with the Piccolo and finished the second shave with it. I always liked the way this razor shaves but did not agree with its design, which I consider faulty.
Back to its performance (once passed the flaw), I am ready to give it another try. The Piccolo will be my daily shaver for the month of October and will take it from there.
I was able to reliably load a blade with a symmetrical exposure from the first try. Quite an accomplishment for me and thought I would share that with you.

Top Bottom