What's new

FaTip Alignment Issues?

Afaik, the only one who still has Schone razors in stock ( or the only one I could find) is Alrossa and like you said they sell them on Amazon. I bought mine from there, but since i'm from Europe I had to send it to a friend of mine and then he send it to me along with other razors and there's no way I can return it or do anything about it. Since I sold my Fatip OC i'm using the handle of my FOCS with the Schone head.

I've tried shaving only once with the Piccolo handle and I think that's the worst handle i've ever used. It's super small and slim and even the ball end handles for Tech and NEW razors are way better. At least the head doesn't have issues and I might ask around the local facebook shaving groups if anyone doesn't like his Grand handle and wants to trade it for mine. It's a long shot, but I have nothing to lose.
As far as I can determine, Schone is actually a private brand that only Alrossa sells. So, they were probably getting those spiral handles from somewhere else to assemble into the razors they offer.

There are some other handles that can fit on the Fatip threads. For instance, vintage Gillette 10-32 threaded handles, vintage Star razor handles, etc. You might try something like that. A fat handle from an old Gillette Tech is not bad if you don't mind something short.

I really like the Piccolo handle, BTW. Try holding it like a pencil and/or choking up on it so your fingers are directly under the razor head. Very maneuverable that way.

I have a Fatip Grande, a Fatip Slant, and a Schone. No alignment problems with any of them. They give me my best shaves, so all my other razors are now tucked away in a drawer.

I have a Schone OC razor( mfg by Fatip) and it too has sporadic minor blade misalignment issues. I believe a frequent cause of this on Fatip razors is that the top cap pins are a much smaller diameter then the base plate holes(other members have pointed this out too) which allows quite a bit of blade movement prior to tightening everything up. One easy solution that works well for me is to use a top cap from an EJ DE89(or clone) which has larger diameter pins. With this setup the blade aligns perfectly every time since the blade is held much more snugly. The blade seems to clamp at least as well as with the Fatip top cap and the razor seems to shave virtually the same. Another advantage is that most razor handles can now be used too since the EJ 89(or clone) threading is compatible with most handles. I realize that many folks will not be willing to create a Frankenrazor out of it but to me the base plate is the best part of Fatip open comb razors. EJ DE89 clone razor heads can often be purchased for under $6.

Here are some pictures with the EJ DE89 head, Schone(mfg by Fatip) OC base plate and RR HD handle.

20210305_143731.jpg20210305_142442.jpg20210305_142505.jpg

I've had two Grandes, both V1, and a Schone. Each one was a bit better than the previous, but even the Schone still has issues. It's also not as efficient as the V1 Fatips. Many don't think it's a big deal. I do. I could never get even exposure, no matter how hard I tried. It's a shame, because the V1 was an excellent razor when aligned.

I've had two Grandes, both V1, and a Schone. Each one was a bit better than the previous, but even the Schone still has issues. It's also not as efficient as the V1 Fatips. Many don't think it's a big deal. I do. I could never get even exposure, no matter how hard I tried. It's a shame, because the V1 was an excellent razor when aligned.

I'm about to sell my third Fatip. The two before I was strongly disappointed because of the alignment issues... The third one has still the same problem...

Don't even get me started.
I have a Piccolo MKI OC, Piccolo MKII OC and a Gold Gentile.
All of them have the alignment issues. Sometimes I have to realign for more than 10 minutes. And just don't tell me about the loading method with putting the cap with the top down an then loading and screwing the handle. I always do it that way. Today loaded a Personna Apache in the Piccolo MKII and it aligned good from the 1st try. That's a rare case.
Currently expecting a slant OC to arrive and I don't hold my breath.
As @Atlantic59 said it is the same as the Old type - you are supposed to realign it by hand.

Last edited:
Yup...same here for today's Fatip Friday shave. Took me 10mins...previously maybe less than 5mins. I suspect dependent on the blades too. Usually can just reduce but not completely get both sides aligned perfectly. Regardless...the shave itself was great...so smooth and very efficient!
20210909_205120.jpg

I was just researching the copper tape idea. I also considered tubing of some kind (found that empty pen refills are close in diameter to the pins).
I think it is worth considering modifications since these are such good shavers. Too bad this company lacks will to improve their products.

I just ordered a Lo Sorto OC Slant. Do those have alignment issues??
The newer Fatips seem to be made with a bit tighter tolerances. I have not had problems with mine, anyway. There is some variation between different brands of blades. Try loading the razor with the cap inverted, the blade should center itself as you tighten down the base plate and handle.

Try not to get spooked by this, and miss out on a great-shaving razor.

The newer Fatips seem to be made with a bit tighter tolerances. I have not had problems with mine, anyway. There is some variation between different brands of blades. Try loading the razor with the cap inverted, the blade should center itself as you tighten down the base plate and handle.

Try not to get spooked by this, and miss out on a great-shaving razor.

Thank you sir. I’ve got a Merkur slant as well as a vintage Hoffritz travel slant. I won’t be creeped out.

Just hoping for efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The alignment issues can be a plus not a negative. My piccolo can be set up with increased blade exposure on one side so one side is extra-aggressive and one side is milder than normal. I like having that option.

The alignment issues can be a plus not a negative. My piccolo can be set up with increased blade exposure on one side so one side is extra-aggressive and one side is milder than normal. I like having that option.

You know that might be a good idea. This way I would actually be able to get a BBS with all those new model Fatips. The only problem is I should keep in my mind to not rotate.

It's so unfortunate about the alignment issues. Otherwise a new solid brass DE razor at the fatip price point would be a no brainer. But I'm just not willing to accept alignment issues even if they are slight. Not when my 60+ year old gillettes, razorocks, etc all align perfectly every time.

There is no perfect Fatip. It is not an alignment issue, it is a design feature. The bullets that pass through the holes are smaller than the holes. Therefore, there is play around the bullets. As long as there is play, there will be the possibility of misaligning the blade.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My piccolo can be set up with increased blade exposure on one side so one side is extra-aggressive and one side is milder than normal. I like having that option.

I do the same with my Grande.

There is no perfect Fatip. It is not an alignment issue, it is a design feature. The bullets that pass through the holes are smaller than the holes. Therefore, there is play around the bullets. As long as there is play, there will be the possibility of misaligning the blade.

This is correct. Its a blade alignment design thats more than 100 years old. Not all DE blades have holes for the pins at the same diameter, so the pins in the Fatip, as well as the Merkur 34C and other designs with alignment pins, need to be sized so that all DE blades will fit the razors.

Bolzano blades in my Grande are very tight fit.

Top Bottom