What's new

Father’s Day Gifts

Next Sunday is Father’s Day. Traditionally, the second largest holiday for sales of electric shavers other than Christmas. Does anyone expect to receive a new electric shaver for Father’s Day?

Actually spouse already gave me a PN S7782 - which is outstanding BTW. Eliminates the complaints by some regarding Philips' detachable heads and trimmers (has a flip-top head and pop-up trimmer), and the single cutter ring heads are the most comfortable I've used. Cleaner is very compact and powered by the shaver, so is the only practical cleaning station for travel I've found. Shaver is one of the few by Philips that connect to their Bluetooth GroomTribe app, which I've found useful, but it works perfectly as a stand alone because it has duplicate info on the front LED screen. A step forward by Philips and we may see more of this design - a very nice rotary.

proxy.php

It records your shaving time (which it does pretty accurately), the percent of the time you used the correct rotation (fairly accurate for the S7940, not so much with the S7785/82), adjusts the speed of the shaver according to your technique, and coaches you according to feedback you give it depending on what you're trying to achieve with your shave. You can either use it real time as you shave, with your phone beside you, or it will store and upload your session(s) to your phone when you finish shaving. It also has a library of shaving info tailored to your shaver. It's actually a pretty good attempt at a coaching program, and for a beginning shaver could be useful. For someone with experience and their own technique, maybe not as much, but still a neat concept that I'm sure will mature. Only a few of Philips' shavers have Bluetooth connectivity, but I'm guessing we'll see more, and it's actually had quite a few updates since its introduction in January 2020.

Actually spouse already gave me a PN S7782 - which is outstanding BTW. Eliminates the complaints by some regarding Philips' detachable heads and trimmers (has a flip-top head and pop-up trimmer), and the single cutter ring heads are the most comfortable I've used. Cleaner is very compact and powered by the shaver, so is the only practical cleaning station for travel I've found. Shaver is one of the few by Philips that connect to their Bluetooth GroomTribe app, which I've found useful, but it works perfectly as a stand alone because it has duplicate info on the front LED screen. A step forward by Philips and we may see more of this design - a very nice rotary.

proxy.php

Wish Braun would come up with a cleaning solution like this, one that uses power from the razor and doesn't look like a phallic symbol. Efficient design.

Tried this razor, first shave yesterday. Closest electric shave to date but some irrigation and discomfort. Giving another go this evening but will likely go back to the Braun Series 7 which while not as close is much more comfortable.

Wish Braun would come up with a cleaning solution like this, one that uses power from the razor and doesn't look like a phallic symbol. Efficient design.

Tried this razor, first shave yesterday. Closest electric shave to date but some irrigation and discomfort. Giving another go this evening but will likely go back to the Braun Series 7 which while not as close is much more comfortable.

I find the foils more comfortable too while shaving, but eventually (couple of weeks) end up with a crop of ingrowns, likely because of the way the foils cut. The foils actually give me a closer shave, but the rotaries end up being more face-friendly in the end. Usually if you get irritation with a rotary it's because of too much pressure in search of closeness, so backing off sometimes helps.

Reactions: ctr
I find the foils more comfortable too while shaving, but eventually (couple of weeks) end up with a crop of ingrowns, likely because of the way the foils cut. The foils actually give me a closer shave, but the rotaries end up being more face-friendly in the end. Usually if you get irritation with a rotary it's because of too much pressure in search of closeness, so backing off sometimes helps.

Spot on. A couple of ingrown whiskers last night. Gave the Panasonic another go this afternoon. Not as irritating but still not comfortable yet.

Spot on. A couple of ingrown whiskers last night. Gave the Panasonic another go this afternoon. Not as irritating but still not comfortable yet.

When you switch from one type of electric shaver to another type your beard needs to become acclimated to the shaver. Give it a couple of weeks and see if it becomes more comfortable.

When you switch from one type of electric shaver to another type your beard needs to become acclimated to the shaver. Give it a couple of weeks and see if it becomes more comfortable.

Good advice. I have used the Panasonic almost exclusively for several weeks now. Quite impressed with the results in terms of closeness. Not as comfortable as the foil but does a really good job and doesn't miss much. Even nicks once in a while.

The cleaning station has turned out to be a surprise. This one is worth it in my opinion. Doesn't require a power cord to use it.

Good advice. I have used the Panasonic almost exclusively for several weeks now. Quite impressed with the results in terms of closeness. Not as comfortable as the foil but does a really good job and doesn't miss much. Even nicks once in a while.

The cleaning station has turned out to be a surprise. This one is worth it in my opinion. Doesn't require a power cord to use it.

I have no use for cleaning stations regardless how they are powered. An electric shaver doesn’t have to be cleaned like a surgical instrument because it’s not a blade scraping your skin. It’s more akin to a pair of scissors which cut the hair off very close to the skin. I have been shaving with electric shavers since the early 1960s and just brushing out the cuttings from the head is all the cleaning you would ever require. Those shavers plugged into the AC socket in the bathroom and couldn’t be used in any way with water due to the possibility of electrocuting yourself. The first rechargeable shaver I started using was in the early 2000s, a Remington, and it was the first time I cleaned the head with running water. Unfortunately, this caused the cutters to corrode which resulted in having to press harder to achieve a close shave. That resulted in the screens cracking. I was replacing the cutters and screens every six weeks. I eventually threw the shaver in the trash.

The Panasonic shaver, which replaced the Remington worked well. However, with the Braun shaver I never get the head wet to prevent corrosion of the cutters. I don’t do anything except remove the cutter/screen cassette and gently tap out the cuttings onto a piece of toilet tissue. Then I brush out the top of the shaver itself. No lubrications, no water no mess. This exactly follows the directions from Braun. There is no odor no corrosion and the original cassette still delivers a close comfortable shave. BTW the warning appeared this morning indicating that the cassette should be replaced. I’m going to ignor that silly warning because the shaver is still delivering great shaves.

All of these fancy things, such as cleaning stations, variable closeness settings and warnings to replace parts are just gimmicks designed to extract more money from your wallet by the manufacturer. Until the quality or closeness of the shaves decreases, I’m not spending money to replace the cutter/screen cassette.

Last edited:

Assume you mean the Philips, and it does provide a closer shave for me than the earlier Philips rotaries. I do like the cleaning station as well - convenient, effective and I like that this one is powered by the shaver. I start with a clean razor every morning, and it doesn't require any effort on my part.

Reactions: ctr
Assume you mean the Philips, and it does provide a closer shave for me than the earlier Philips rotaries. I do like the cleaning station as well - convenient, effective and I like that this one is powered by the shaver. I start with a clean razor every morning, and it doesn't require any effort on my part.

Right Phillips. Senior moment.:concern:

The cleaning station is a wonder. Only one I've ever kept up with because as you say, no bother on my part. This is a good shaver. Would never have considered it without your post.

Top Bottom