What's new

Fate of Hong Kong tailors

Does anyone know what has happened to the tailors of Hong Kong ? These tailors woud tour the U.S. taking measurements of men in several U.S. cities to make bespoke clothing.

Did China so destroy Hong Kong that these guys are out of business ? Did they flee Hong Kong for various other countries like the U.K., U.S. Australia ?

Does anyone know what has happened to the tailors of Hong Kong ? These tailors woud tour the U.S. taking measurements of men in several U.S. cities to make bespoke clothing.

Did China so destroy Hong Kong that these guys are out of business ? Did they flee Hong Kong for various other countries like the U.K., U.S. Australia ?
No idea but what makes you think they're not in Hong Kong and just not touring for obvious reasons?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
They used to come to my office in Atlanta and I ordered a suit once; I believe I still have it. That was in the late 1980’s.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Got curious and found this. Fascinating.

I could see some shops setting up this service and selling the measurement file to the customer for use with a tailor of his choosing.

I have had the pleasure of visiting Hong Kong a few times and most recently used Simpson Sin Tailors (previously with Princeton Tailors). They do come to the US on occasion, but not during the pandemic. They were taking custom orders based on measurements on file this past year, but I have not ordered since my last visit in 2015. They do great work.

I had some suits and shirts made during the '80s when we had a guy here who would take measurements and have the stuff made in HK. That clothing is long gone.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Interesting question. I don't know anything specifically about the tailoring industry in Hong Kong. I would guess that the overall decline of suit wearing in the US in general combined with the rise of discount on-line outlets like Spier and Mackay, Suit Supply, Black Lapel, Indochino, etc in particular greatly reduced the demand for HK suits. I also wonder if there's more demand from mainland China itself now and/or if there's enough throughput from business travelers already in HK that it just doesn't make sense to bother flying all over the US anymore. Not to mention, I would bet that now that Beijing is really cracking down on HK autonomy, spending a lot of time in the US probably puts someone in a government spotlight that they'd rather not be in.

Things I regret:
Not buying camera lenses in Kowloon (Hong Kong)
Not having a suit made by one of the tailors in Hong Kong.

I was there twice in the very late 1980s and 1990 courtesy of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club (USN)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
W.W. Chan (the best tailor in Hong Kong) has a notice on it's website that it's tour (a.k.a. trunk show) is currently suspended due to covid.

Top Bottom