What's new

Fatboy/Slim: Which to Tune Up and Replate?

I recently acquired a Fatboy and a Slim and want your thoughts and opinions on getting these tuned up and/or replated. I've only used the Fatboy and like it and will place it in my regular rotation. I haven't used the Slim yet because the blade gap is in need of fixing. That being said, I've been told that if I like the Fatboy and plan on adding it to the rotation, I'll enjoy the Slim too. I think the Gillette vintage razors have a lot of history and tradition and it's neat to own a piece (or two pieces) of that tradition. So here's my dilemma: I'd like to get one of these tuned up and replated. Which one would YOU get done first and who would you use? Thanks in advance!
FB.jpg
sl.jpg

From what I can see in the pictures, I would just have the Slim fixed/tuned-up (not replated) and use it. If you want the Fatboy to look like new go ahead and have it replated. Just my personal opinion of course.

I had a Fatboy for a few years and very much enjoyed it. I purchased Slims for two of my boys and had the opportunity to try it and I felt it shaved pretty similar to the Fatboy. Your Slim appears to be in good condition, so I agree with others here. If you really want to relate one, I would go with the Fatboy and have the Slim fixed.

I wouldn't replate either. I would send both of them in for a tuneup for less than one replate with Back Roads Gold. They will be repaired, adjusted, sanitized, shined, and, painted. I sent a Fatboy in December and it came back looking great.
View attachment 1424453
Thanks for sharing! So he did the painting on a tune up? Did he paint the indicator red as well or just cleaned it to that nice bright red? That’s awesome. I’ll check out his website. Great Fatboy there!

I bought my birthday date code Gillette Slim a couple of years ago. The finish was in very decent shape and it didn't need anything other than a good disinfecting, so I have just been using it. Recently aquired a Fatboy which I got for a decent price but it had a pretty worn finish so I decided to replate it. I sent it to for a tune up and mirror nickel finish replate. The fatboy looks fantastic so I think the Slim is going out for the same replate.

I bought my birthday date code Gillette Slim a couple of years ago. The finish was in very decent shape and it didn't need anything other than a good disinfecting, so I have just been using it. Recently aquired a Fatboy which I got for a decent price but it had a pretty worn finish so I decided to replate it. I sent it to for a tune up and mirror nickel finish replate. The fatboy looks fantastic so I think the Slim is going out for the same replate.
That’s great! Can I ask who you used?

Well thanks to everyone’s help here I believe the decision has been made! I’m really leaning towards sending them both in to Back Roads Gold for a tune up and polish. Honestly, I wasn’t sure I’d like the Gillette adjustables after using 3 piece razors, but I have thoroughly enjoyed using the Fatboy a couple of times and they’re beautiful pieces of engineering. Can’t wait to get them both tuned up and added to the rotation. I appreciate all the input I’ve received!

I was lucky to recently pick up a Fat Boy (G1) in good shape, a Slim (J4) in great shape and a Super Adjustable Gold (P1) in close to unused condition. With the exception of the SA gold, I plan to send in the other 2 for a tune up. I have no complaint on the way they shave, but after 60 years of use I want to make sure they are adjusted as close to factory spec as possible.

Top Bottom