What's new

Fatboy not closing evenly

Hi

As the title suggests on one side the blade gap is uneven.

This seems to disappear when set on 4 or above.

Any ideas on how to fix?

I am pretty sure it hasn't been overclocked as I intentionally did it to check.

What is the best resource to try & fix a fatboy?

Thanks

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Have you tried soaking it? Is the razor new to you?

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Soak it in dish washing fluid & water for a few days.

Then scrubbed it before letting it sit & dry for a few days.

I then liberally oiled it with WD-40 & left it to soak for a few days

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Is the gap uneven along the door to safety bar or is one door open more than the other? You need to be more clear in describing it. Can you take a pic of what is wrong?

IMG_20180807_065705994.jpg
IMG_20180807_065658350.jpg
IMG_20180807_065557169.jpg
IMG_20180807_065551762.jpg
IMG_20180807_065456570.jpg
IMG_20180807_065444764.jpg
IMG_20180807_065438388.jpg
IMG_20180807_065400714.jpg
IMG_20180807_065353830.jpg
IMG_20180807_065347179.jpg

R

romsitsa

Hello, it looks like at least one corner of the safety bar is bent. To determine the problem look at it from the side, like in your last photo, and compare the angle of the safety bar to the opening tab on the doors. Also try to open and close the head, if a corner is bent down, it will hit the door tab earlier the the other corners.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Hello,

the right corner of the bar on your first photo is off. Compared to the othe photos, I think it's bent upwards.

Adam

That doesn't look too bad to me. I have several Fatties and Slims and they all, or at least most, flex down slightly at the corners (some more than others). Pretty sure it's just the nature of the beast. The blades are not supported at the ends so they flex a bit when clamped down tight. Have you tried it yet? I'd give it a go before trying to bend or straighten anything. I'm pretty sure I've shaved with worse.

That doesn't look too bad to me. I have several Fatties and Slims and they all, or at least most, flex down slightly at the corners (some more than others). Pretty sure it's just the nature of the beast. The blades are not supported at the ends so they flex a bit when clamped down tight. Have you tried it yet? I'd give it a go before trying to bend or straighten anything. I'm pretty sure I've shaved with worse.
While doing all the photos I decided on this.

Been trialling a load of new razors.

Had them all lined up ready.

Slim twist, flare tip rocket then onto 5 different techs.

However after using my rocket yesterday I am going to take the fatboy out for a test run for a week starting today.

See how it shaves.

Safety bar is bent up on the corner that is slanted up. Razor was probably dropped and it landed on that corner.

Very common, easy to fix.

That side will shave very mild compared to the other until you bend the safety bar back down to the proper position.

Or send it to Cap.

Shaved on a 4 setting.

It worked, as in nothing super noticeable.
However it was my first shave with this razor so it will take a few days/weeks to really get the feel for it.

Not sure whether to play with the settings each shave or "set & forget" while trying to see if the bent bar bothers me enough to risk fixing.

I have had a superspeed Chinese clone that has a really uneven blade gap from one side to the order. That one sideliterally wouldn't shave. It feels nothing like that.

Kept my lather & blade choice the same for last few weeks while testing new razors & will continue with this.

Glad to hear the first shave went well! I'd probably try a few settings, but it's really up to you. I used to always use mine wide open, but have recently moved down to 5 or 6 and think I'm liking it better there. I still run it up to 9 if I'm going against a week or more worth of growth, but for 1 or just a few days growth 5-6 seems to work just as well.

I get the best shaves around 7 for most blades, less that than I have trouble getting rid of stubble in a couple places.

Play around with it and see, you will find what suits you. The only problem with the bent bar is that side will be milder than the other at the same setting.

Top Bottom