What's new

Fatboy February 2017

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lesson learned: don't go ATG on 9 - at least, not with a poor soap.

Alum, alcohol, styptic pencil and balm were all needed. Wow.

Since this isn't the Willy 3017 thread, will add: Williams stinks. Laying the soap on thick - what lather? - didn't even help.

AA

Saturday - Day 18
E3 FB on 3
Personna Red (3rd shave)
Rooney Pure Badger
Chiseled Face Summer Storm
Clubman a/s

Single pass Saturday morning on 3 - I took a chunk out of where my lip meets my skin near the corner of my mouth the ohter day - don't know how I did that! - so I dialed it down to 3, partly out of fear! Good shave today, even with just a single pass.

Sunday - Day 19
no shave

Monday - Day 20
E3 FB on 3
Personna Red (4th shave)
Rooney Pure Badger
Chiseled Face Orange Creamsicle soap and a/s

2 passes on 3 this morning - my face is still healing from losing a chunk a few days ago. Never done anything like that before and hope I never do it again.

COUNT ME IN! - My F2 FB arrived in the mail today - and it is in truly amazing condition, courtesy of Richard's Razors, NY - thanks, Richard! The pic actually don't show fully how pristine it is. Can't wait to drive it tomorrow.

Also new in my setup is the Saponificio Bignoli cream - I used it first time this morning and it is really, really(!) nice, probably even better than my beloved Proraso Green. Lathers like crazy. Will post review later.

Good day indeed.
IMG_0998.JPG

Last edited:
OOUCH! - Just decided to never go above three (or four....). Worst thing about these bigger cuts are the waiting period, until your face has healed again!

Saturday - Day 18
E3 FB on 3
Personna Red (3rd shave)
Rooney Pure Badger
Chiseled Face Summer Storm
Clubman a/s

Single pass Saturday morning on 3 - I took a chunk out of where my lip meets my skin near the corner of my mouth the ohter day - don't know how I did that! - so I dialed it down to 3, partly out of fear! Good shave today, even with just a single pass.

Sunday - Day 19
no shave

Monday - Day 20
E3 FB on 3
Personna Red (4th shave)
Rooney Pure Badger
Chiseled Face Orange Creamsicle soap and a/s

2 passes on 3 this morning - my face is still healing from losing a chunk a few days ago. Never done anything like that before and hope I never do it again.

Day 20.
F1 Fatboy set on 3.
Gillette Silver Blue.
Semogue 830 Boar Brush.
Soap Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood.
Aftershave Mesmerize

3 pass WTG, XTG, ATG, DFS, had to use the Alum this morning, as this razor seem's keen or it could be the new blade. But will see how tomorrow goes, so far very happy with the Fatboys this month
20170219_172432.jpg

Two more shaves, on the 18th and the 19th. My Fatboy is not getting a work out his year. I'll have to change that.

Well this is my first actual shave post in this thread. Tried my new FB out this morning, super shave, closest to a BBS I've had with a vintage razor. Was very curious to see how different it would feel to my Slim. And as first tries go I think ... that it was remarkably similar(?!) - sorry if there is something I don't get... BUT I will say though that I like the slightly heavier weight much better and also the larger girth of the handle which gave me a much better grip. So a very promising first go!
Other equipment used today:
3rd day Feather blade
2nd try with the Saponificio Bignoli - this is a truly great soap, will post separate review later with pictures!
1st go with the Clubman - Hmmm, much better scent on the skin than straight smelling out of bottle (which I did not care much for). So even if it is VERY different than my usual AS's I will keep trying. I get what you PC afficionados say about the vintage barber shop smell, this may well work for me still - even it smells really(!) old school. Terrible Terrible plastic bottle though, will probably decant it.
And finally, I admit, look closely in the picture and you will see my Fusion sitting on the side as it deserves to be reckognized for its contribution. I really never can't seem able to get that spot under the nose without it. The aux blade is absolutely great for this one thing. But I admit I feel a bit like a cheater, even if it has a bespoke TOBS short handle and looks cool that way. What do you guys do - honest answers please? :001_rolle

IMG_1006.JPG

Last edited:
Wow - that is one fine looking FB!

Day 20.
F1 Fatboy set on 3.
Gillette Silver Blue.
Semogue 830 Boar Brush.
Soap Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood.
Aftershave Mesmerize

3 pass WTG, XTG, ATG, DFS, had to use the Alum this morning, as this razor seem's keen or it could be the new blade. But will see how tomorrow goes, so far very happy with the Fatboys this month
View attachment 763052

20170221_092006.jpg
Got a little too confident and ended up with a few nicks. I think the Ogallala soap isn't the best in dry weather. Finished off with some Corn huskers.

Tuesday - Day 21
E3 FB on 4
Personna Red blade (shave #5)
Rooney Pure Badger
Van der Hagen Luxury soap
Gillette Series Cool Wave aftershave

clicked back up to 4 on the Fatboy today, and just took it easy - no problems. I think I got complacent with a fresh Personna after using the Derby for a few days.

...and then decided to mix it up a bit and just do a "drugstore" shave, with the VdH luxury soap, and Gillette Cool Wave aftershave. While the VdH is nothing special (pretty neutral fragrance), it is very inexpensive, easy to lather, and very slick. I believe it's a glycerin based soap. Not bad. I highly recommend this for anyone on a tight budget.
The Gillette Cool Wave aftershave is a decent a/s, with a pleasant fragrance, that's not too "cologne-y", but still pretty manly. One of the last times I used it, the fragrance rubbed me the wrong way, with what I thought was the castor oil in it, but I said I'd stick with a few more times and give it a chance. Today, it seems to be sitting good with me. Maybe it was the soap I used it with last time. Anyway, this is also good for anyone on a tight budget. I think I paid $4-$5 for it in the drugstore. This is the 3rd drugstore aftershave splash I've tried, and so far, I'm happy with the 3 - Clubman, Aqua Velva Musk, and the Gillette Cool Wave.

Weekly Update
Head Shaves 10
Neck Shaves 7

I am on my third rotation through my brushes, and I have used a unique soap/cream for every shave. I'm currently on pace to use each soap/cream exactly once this month.

20170220_190743.jpg

...And finally, I admit, look closely in the picture and you will see my Fusion sitting on the side as it deserves to be reckognized for its contribution. I really never can't seem able to get that spot under the nose without it. The aux blade is absolutely great for this one thing. But I admit I feel a bit like a cheater, even if it has a bespoke TOBS short handle and looks cool that way. What do you guys do - honest answers please? :001_rolle

Yes, the Fatboy head is too big to get right up under the nostils straight on, but what I do is stretch that area by sucking in my upper lip, then come at an angle with the corner of the blade, right under the nostrils. Of course, be careful and use very little pressure, but using that technique, I can hit that spot with any of my razors.

Was very curious to see how different it would feel to my Slim. And as first tries go I think ... that it was remarkably similar(?!) - sorry if there is something I don't get... BUT I will say though that I like the slightly heavier weight much better and also the larger girth of the handle which gave me a much better grip.
Agreed. I don't see a whole lot of difference in the shaves and/or results from the two.

What do you guys do - honest answers please? :001_rolle
I don't shave my upper lip. I think I've only shaved it a couple of times in the 3 years I've been wet shaving.

Day 21

F1 Fatboy set on 3
Gillette Silver Blue
Culmark butterscotch Badger Brush
Mamma bears soap aged spice
Avon Attraction scent

Hmmm I was in a rush this morning only 1 pass WTG, not to bad a shave but I feel as though it was close, I could have done with a 2nd to get a DFS.
20170221_180936.jpg

Just catching up now from being busy at work and forgot to take some pictures :(

Last week and this weekend, had a few shaves. All with personna lab blue blades, soaps were Proraso red and Tabac. Love both these soaps and worked great with the Fatboy.

Tonight's shave consisted of a new GSB with the Fatboy on 8. Soap was Speick with an EJ badger brush. It was generally a good shave and didn't push it past WTG and XTG.

I just got my Fatboy before February, and this has been a great exercise to become acquainted with the razor and looking forward to this week. I will try to take some more photos this week.

Top Bottom