What's new

Fatboy February - 2016 Edition

Only correction that I can think of is that I completed shave 7, and that's still with my Derby Extra.

Glad to hear from you about your family! Still wishing you and yours all of the very best!

Garrett, glad to he. the family is feeling better.
Feb. 18 18th shave.
F1 The Gift on 5.
Col. Conks almond soap
Gillette 7 O'clock black.
Sally beauty supply boar brush.
Aqua Velva ice blue AS

Was given a fatboy from Delta Echo for my birthday the other day! Gave it a go today and it felt so much better than my 38c :thumbup:

Date - D4
Settings - 4
Brush - omega 49
TOBS coconut.

proxy.php

2/18 SOTD
Fatboy at 1 w/Wilkinson sword
Omega boar
Proraso white
Gillette ASB

Tried the lowest setting since it had been 18 hours between shaves (day off yesterday, in early today). Couldn't even feel the blade on the first pass. Irritation free, but the 5 o'clock shadow was in by 2. I can't imagine people using it that low every day. So I've tried all settings and will give the higher ones a shot a few days in a row.

Hay Garrett, Glad to hear your family is on the upswing.
They are only a 15 minute drive from me, so I had the advantage of being able to go down to their modest store front and check out all of the scents in person. Lee is also one of the best Honemeisters around and does all of the straight work himself. If you like the Rustic, you should try the Formula T. It's just a little bit better performer. Not a ton, but noticeable. They do samples too. The barbershop and the Fougere were the B Team for me. The Gaelic Tweed, Mahogany, and Ol Kentucky were my favorites.
I did, see post 487. That's pretty cool that you actually know the maker. I'm really liking it and glad to have it available locally. The barber shop I got it from also dose straight shaves and has open tubs of each for the shaves. So I'm able to check out the scents too, not as many as you I'm sure but he still has several. When I went back I thought I was going to go for the Barbershop, almost went for the Gaelic Tweed (He also had the matching beard oil), but kept going back to the Tobacco.

I've heard they are very mild shavers. That was one of the areas Douglas claimed to have improved upon with his PAA DOC design.

I nearly cheated on the Fatboy as well. When my wife and daughter were home in quarantine and my son and I headed to my in laws, I picked up my DOP kit with my R41, since I don't have any sort of travel case for my adjustables. I didn't end up having time to actually shave during the day we were there though. I still might have to cheat at some point. I got a Fatip Grande for Christmas that had the dreaded QC issues. My exchange should be here any day, so I'll have to use it at least once to verify that it does not suffer from the same issues.
I'll have to try the Shave King with a brand new Feather and see if it helps, but it seems laughably mild.

I did cheat on the Fatboy yesterday. I received an Eveready 1914 that needed some straightening ( it was offered as a project, fun PIF) as a PIF from [MENTION=61531]shave/brush[/MENTION] and after a little tweaking with the pliers I had to see if it worked. That is a razor I could get used to. Its like I turned my 1912 up to 9. Once March rolls around and I'm done with this and one blade February it will be tops in the rotation.

Was given a fatboy from Delta Echo for my birthday the other day! Gave it a go today and it felt so much better than my 38c :thumbup:

Date - D4
Settings - 4
Brush - omega 49
TOBS coconut.

proxy.php

It doesn't look like just any Fatboy either! Tell us about it.

And Welcome to B&B

Day 18, shave 15 - head and throat.

Fatboy on 9, Personna 74 (15) and Tabac.

Very nice shave. Really felt the blade with the Fatboy set to 9, the is still very smooth though.

Day 19 head shave 18
E-1 Fatboy wide open Gillette Silver Blue (18)
Vintage Certifyd
WSP Formula T Tobacco
WSP Tobacco beard oil
Avon Leather

Today’s shave following hot shower:
Soap Works hemp oil pre-shave soap
Gillette 1960 F-1 Fatboy, set on 5
Astra superior platinum
Moss Hill Bourbon soap
Boar Brush
Aqua Velva Musk
$FB-BOAR-MHBou~13.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
SOTD:
E3 Fatboy (1959) on 5
Wilkinson Sword, German; shave #5 and done! a shave too far, perhaps
Tabac soap

AoS badger
Lime Veg+4711

Pride goeth before a fall -
getting the FB under nose in a hurry, and fully overconfident, resulted in a nice under-nose cut; worse I've gotten in 10 months of DE shaving. Ay, chihuahua! Blood on the badger! Blood on the lather! Looked like I took a punch ... be careful brothers. Be even more careful if you think you have under-nose FB swiping skill.

AA

Shave #3
F3 Fatboy on 5
Voskhod
Dapper Dragon Autumn Morning
Semogue Owners Club Boar
Lily of the Valley Aloe 80

This was definitely a "if it works do not mess with it" shave. The Autumn Morning was a great match with my morning coffee and just like yesterday a wonderful shave was achieved...

G3 Fatboy on setting #4
Gillette Silver Blue on shave #6 (trying to see how far I can push it)
Razorock Mudder Focker
Razorock Plissoft
Three pass shave, WTG, XTG, ATG, plus minor touch ups
Pinaud Clubman Aftershave
Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm
Easily a DFS, great shave this morning!

It doesn't look like just any Fatboy either! Tell us about it.

And Welcome to B&B

Thanks. I've been a long time lurker.

My partner ordered it from Delta Echo for my birthday, I went for the nickel and black chrome coating with blue accents on the ring and spring. It looks awesome and more importantly it gives a cracking shave.

Happy Friday! My SOTD...

Pre: Shower, face wash.
Brush: Whipped Dog Silvertip badger
Razor: '59 Gillette "Fatboy" set on 6
Blade: Personna "Lab"(4)
Soap: PannaCrema Ebano
AS: Witch Hazel, Master Challenge

Date - D4
Settings - 4
Brush - omega 49
TOBS coconut.

proxy.php

Beauty. I'm going to have to send a razor to them next year when my No Buy is up. I love these custom jobs.

I did, see post 487. That's pretty cool that you actually know the maker.

I received an Eveready 1914 that needed some straightening ( it was offered as a project, fun PIF) as a PIF from @shave/brush and after a little tweaking with the pliers I had to see if it worked. That is a razor I could get used to. Its like I turned my 1912 up to 9. Once March rolls around and I'm done with this and one blade February it will be tops in the rotation.

I don't really know Lee, I've just talked with him on Facebook a little. His admin that runs the store front is the sister of The Razor Queen (Matt from Razor Emporium's Wife). I really need to try and make it to the next Phoenix meetup. We have a nice little community building up here in the Valley.

I tried a 1914 that I picked up in a PIF passaround. I did not get along with it at all. To date, I've tried a 1914, a Bullet Tip, and a 1924 Shovel Head. The shovel head is the only one I like. I have a Featherweight and an MMOC that I haven't tried yet.

Top Bottom