Today’s shave following hot shower:
Soap Works hemp oil pre-shave soap
Gillette 1960 F-1 Fatboy, set on 5
Astra superior platinum
Cade soap
Boar Brush
Aqua Velva Musk
$FB-BOAR-cade~10.jpg

Feb 14 Shave 7 (Pre-Coital Valentines Shave)

E2 Stiffy 7-8-9
Omega Badger
Henri' and Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigar soap (truly magical)
Feather (5) and way way out (along with some Blood and Skin and Tears) (NEW BAND NAME!)
Finish with Witch Hazel, Aloe and Cocoa Skin Cream

Because of the "Five Furies of Feather" bloodbath i'm going to have to wait another day or two for the next shave :(((

G3 Fatboy on setting #5
Feather on shave #3
VDH mongrel
Razorock Plissoft
Two pass, WTG, ATG
Dfs despite being in a rush
No weepers or irritation
Pinaud Clubman Aftershave

Dayy 16, shave 13 - head and throat.
Fatboy set to 7 and Godrej puck.

The Godrej just confirmed my thoughts that glycerine/melty soaps just aren't for me. Today's shave was nice and smooth. The Personna 74 is still going strong.​

Ad Astra

The Instigator
SOTD:
E3 Fatboy (1959)
Tabac soap
AoS badger
VIBR

Tabac EdC and out the door ... should have used the witch hazel/Tabac aftershave, but the VIBR sting was a needed wake-up.

AA

2/17 SOTD
Fatboy set at 9 w/Wilkinson sword
Proraso white
Virginia Sheng finest
Nivea ASB

First time using the razor at 9 led to a few nicks. Very smooth 2 pass shave with a little touch up. It was more aggressive though not nearly as much as an Old type.
$WP_20160217_10_31_49_Pro.jpg

Day 17 SOTD:
E-3 Fat Boy set on 7
Gillette Silver Blue blade
22mm Maggards synthetic knot set into custom handle
Homemade citrus scented tallow based soap
Homemade sweet orange and menthol aftershave

The Legendary Katrina Razor
Vintage Old Waverly Lavender
Made Rite beehive / VS Pure
Pinaud Lime Sec in a glass Tawn Bottle
Gillette green

$IMG_2312.jpg

The Old Waverly may have been lavender scented at some point but it isn't anymore! It also doesn't lather worth a nickle. It needed some help so I squeezed a snargle of KMF Lavender in it. It started to smell like something and I was able to beat it into a thin froth. The old Ever Ready beehive, while a little small, looks neat and the VS knot performs as we have come to expect them to. Very well. I had a Gillette Green blade eager to be pressed into service and it was fine although, as I have stated before, I can't tell the difference in blades. Lime Sec is not a favorite of mine. It's too sweet smelling for me and seems to hang in there until I start getting queasy. I always decant any AS in a plastic bottle to a glass one but it didn't seem to help this one. The Katrina razor suffered the abuse of the Old Waverly stoically and without complaint and delivered a fine shave in spite of it. But I'm all clean shaven and smelling fresh so I pronounce this experiment a success but not at all a contender for a favorite.

G3 Fatboy on setting #5
GSB on shave #5
Razorock Plissoft
VDH mongrel
3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG
Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm
DFS, maybe I'll change the blade before the next shave and go back to shaving every other day, as my face has a little irritation.

Today’s shave following hot shower:
Soap Works hemp oil pre-shave soap
Gillette 1960 F-1 Fatboy, set on 5
Astra superior platinum
Yardley soap
Erskine #4 Brush
Aqua Velva Musk
$FB-ERSK4-YAR~11.jpg

SOTD
Sneaky the E2 Fatboy
on 3
Gillette Nacet (16, Feb one-blade challenge)
B&B boar
CFG Easy Street
Witch hazel w/lime added
Lucky Tiger
Stirling Lime ASB
Fine Platinum AS

Unfortunately, I skipped yesterday's shave. The 15th was an after-Valentine's-Day dinner with SWMBO and so I shaved late...and well. There really wasn't much to deal with yesterday, so I didn't. I just might take the blade to March 1 just to get that extra day in there, though.

Back to the 50s today guys.

I picked up the Reel Man bowl at a local flea market and it intrigued me. Or course it was empty and I have used it with a number of different soaps. Currently it has a puck of Caswell Massey I got stuck with blended with a lump of Klar I had which makes the CM work. But I can't help wondering if the original soap was fish scented. If so, it would replace Arko as the worst smelling soap ever and an even worse marketing concept than the Edsel.

The Mennen bottle also hearkens back to a time when packaging was not as utilitarian as it is today. Glass of course. If you look closely at it you'll see it is molded to resemble an electric shaver.

Add an old Made Rite brush handle and the Fatboy and it's back to the Eisenhower administration.

What fun!

What a great shaving bowl! I'm assuming you refinished it, since it appears to be in great shape...?

Shave #1
F3 Fatboy on 4
Voskhod
Dapper Dragon Green Dragon
Alum Block
Nivea Sensitive Shave Balm

After using the Rockwell most of the month and being on travel I finally broke out m'boy. The Voskhod has been a good to me in this razor in the past. A DFS was achieved in three passes. I can say the difference between the Rockwell and Fatboy was very interesting to me. The lack of audible feedback and much less blade feel of the Fatboy definitely made me pause.

I do prefer how the Rockwell "sings" when I get the angle correct and missed that with this shave...

I like both razors quite a bit however my favorite razor (the Fatboy) may have been dethroned. Further testing is needed. I will continue to compare throughout the month...

Razor - Gillette Fat Boy (E2 1959)
Brush - Muhle XL 25mm synthetic
Shave cream- Nivea Sensitive
Pre - shower W.F. Good soap Co.
Post - unrefined shea butter / Thayer W.H.

Attachments

• $FatBoy.jpg
    $FatBoy.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 49
OL' DIRTY FATBOY on 6
Persona red
Proshave brushless as a preshave
Phoenix Beach soap
Omega 10049
Alum block
VIBR A/s

3 passes. Really getting comfortable with this razor.

Top Bottom