What's new

Fat Boy vs Slim

I recently bought a Gillette Slim, and today it gave me what I believe to be the best shave ever since I started using DEs around a year ago (I used Ingram cream, which for me consistenly delivers exceptionally close and nick free shaves). I have previously used Futur and Slant, but they never seem to cut as close (unless I dial up the Futur to at least 5, where it is very easy to cut yourself). I used the Slim set to 7, and got an almost BBS shave without even a hint of irritation. I'm so happy with the result that I'm thinking of getting a Fat Boy. What are the main differences between these two Gillette razors? I'm hoping that the Fat Boy is heavier than the Slim, since that would in my opinion make it virtually perfect. Is there any difference in the angle of the blade as it sits in the razors?

Regards,
Alex

Alex: The fatboy has a shorter handle and is heavier. Blade angle etc. appear to be the same to me. I achieve nice results from both. The popularity of the fatboy seems to be driving the price up lately. Hope this helps. Bradley

The fat boy is the older version of the adjustable. Production started in a limited way in 1958 and Gillette brought them into full production in 1959. I don't know when they stopped making them, but I believe it was in the early 1960's. I believe that the production run was something like 5 years or so. The slim version was made from the early 1960's to at least the middle 1970's. And so the production run was much longer and various versions of the slim or long handle adjustable continued in production longer than the fat boy. (I remember in the 1970's there was a black handle adjustable.)

If I'm wrong on the dates I hope someone will correct me, I would love to know the actual dates.

The fat boy was made somewhat differently, and is arguably, perhaps better built than the slim version. Note that I say "perhaps" here. I have both, and both are just great. The fat boy seems in every way to be heavier and more solid than the slim. The slim however is just great and to my mind one very underrated razor.

I believe that the shorter production run and the age make it a bit harder to find fat boys in reallly good condition so the prices are higher than the slim version. There just aren't that many around.

I prefer my Slim to my Fat Boy, just seem to get a smoother shave with the Slim.

I can understand that. It seems to me that the slim is a very underrated razor. I have no doubt that when people catch on to them the prices will shoot right up. And if they don't, well I'll be wrong.

proxy.php

The fatboy weighs in at 3 ounces.
The slim at 2.6 ounces.
The super adjustable at 2.4 ounces.

I'll have to amend the above... something didn't seem right so I tried them again on my digital scale. It only shows to a tenth of an ounce, so if it falls in between it may fluctuate between numbers.
The fatboy fluctuates between 2.8 and 3, with a preference for 3
The slim fluctuates between 2.4 and 2.6 with a preference for 2.6
The super adjustable does the same but with a preference for 2.4

Last edited:
I believe everyone will have different mileage in the classic debate, which is better, slim or fat. This may well have psychological reflections of your preference in women, but I digress. In any event, I have thin fingers, and for me, the slim is easier to maneuver around my nose and upper lip. I like the feel of the fatboy, but, I get better shaves with the slim. Of course, since I use both, can't complain about either one. I got both a slim and fatboy on ebay together for around 14 dollars shipped, so they are not too expensive if you can find the bargain. You just have to try both to see which is better for you.

here you can see the whole family:

1) Fat Boy Red Dot
2) Fat Boy
3) Fat Boy bottom adjustable (called 195)
4) Executive (gold Fat Boy)
5) nickel Toggle
6) gold Toggle
7) Slim Adjustable
8) Aristocrat (gold Slim Adjustable)
9) Super-Adjustable
10) gold Super-Adjustable
11) Super-Adjustable with plastic base plate
12) short Super-Adjustable (black beauty)

Attachments

• $2007-06-10 12 Adjustable-01-A.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,604
Last edited:
here you can see the whole family:

1) Fat Boy Red Dot
2) Fat Boy
3) Fat Boy bottom adjustable (called 195)
4) Executive (gold Fat Boy)
5) nickel Toggle
6) gold Toggle
7) Slim Adjustable
8) Aristocrat (gold Slim Adjustable)
9) Super-Adjustable
10) gold Super-Adjustable
11) Super-Adjustable with plastic base plate
12) short Super-Adjustable (black beauty)

This is one of the best, and most helpful pictures I've ever seen. Thanks mr-razor!

This is one of the best, and most helpful pictures I've ever seen. Thanks mr-razor!

Yes it is! As a newcomer to this, that's incredibly helpful for identifying razors. I'd love to see something similar for the 3-piece models, then both of these images be added to the Wiki.

John

The last year of production for the Fat Boy was 1961, which as far as I know, was also the first year for the Slim. The two razor's heads are different, with the Fat Boy's being much taller. It is the tallest head Gillette ever had. The difference in heads causes a differing amount of flex in the blades. Therefore, the blade protrudes from the head at different angles. Most guys seem to prefer one over the other. You just need to try a Fat Boy yourself. If you don't like it, you should be able to easily sell it. It has a lot of fans.

-Clarke

I just picked up my first Fatboy yesterday. Found it "in the wild" (at an antique store). Cased, in beautiful condition. All numbers still black. Just a beautiful razor.

I haven't used it yet, but it sure looks great!

I just picked up my first Fatboy yesterday. Found it "in the wild" (at an antique store). Cased, in beautiful condition. All numbers still black. Just a beautiful razor.

I haven't used it yet, but it sure looks great!

Great score. They feel great in the hand too :thumbup1:

Top Bottom