What's new

Fat Boy vs. Fat Guy razor

Sorry for your bad experience, OP. I threw caution to the wind and recently purchased a Fat Guy razor. I won't be holding my breath based on yours and other people's experiences, but at least I know I'll be getting something brand-new. Eventually... I also have no idea what "magnesium brass" is supposed to be, but it sure ain't zamak. :glare:

Yes, I know. I could've paid $200 for a "refurb" of a mass-produced Fat Boy from Razor Emporium, but I want new. Not used.

R

romsitsa

Load a blade and check wether the doors are tight or not (also check without a blade). Shave with both sides to determine which nicks you.

But where else can you get a razor "made by North American hands" for the paltry sum of $109? 🤣

Truth be told, I'll be happy if the darn thing shaves, regardless of whether it's made by French Canadians or Sheldon himself.

And yup, no shortage of quality razors for under that price. :yesnod:

Try "assembled" not made! I would gather all the parts are made in China and shipped here as parts since I think(I repeat, think) they don't pay as much duty on parts as they would if it was a whole razor. I am guessing what they save in duties and custom fees more than makes up for the wages to pay someone in North America to assemble them. The company I work for does it on outbound parts. It is cheaper for us to send our parts to another country for assembly of a machine then it would be to send out as a whole unit.

I would still rather buy a decent Fatboy then by a replica at twice the price. I just received one in the mail that I got for $58 and change. Sure it has a some pin head sized spots, or smaller, of rust appearing under the doors but most of them cleaned up with polish. The outside of the doors also had some small stain spots and I got most of it out with polish. Sure it isn't 100% like new but it is 60 years old and it is the real thing and not a copy.

Last edited:
Hello,

Could anyone who has received the FatGuy post some pictures of it? Side by side to a Fat Boy would be even better If possible.

Cheers
John

Well I've just taken delivery of a 1959 Q1 Fatboy in immaculate condition, with a blade pack and case, for £20 less than it would have cost me to buy a GSC Fatguy. That takes account of all packing, shipping fees and taxes.

proxy.php

It was shipped from Nebraska to Scotland in just over a week. No month long delays.

I agree with the others, why spend the money for a replica when the original is readily available? If they were cheaper, I’d consider getting a fat guy just to have. I have three fat boys, and they always give me comfortable, drama free shaves without cuts or irritation. I may be in the minority, but I prefer the fat boy over either the 3 slims or the 3 super adjustables I have and use. For me, the low profile heads and weight of the slims and SA don’t give as comfortable and predictable a shave as my fat boys.

I have the Fatguy razor and assorted Gillette adjustables. It does rattle, the doors don’t close properly, and doesn’t feel solid and well made like a Gillette, but weirdly I still get an absolutely great shave from it every time, just like the Fatboy.
D86D1E2C-DEBB-4A72-A37B-E4A636B857E8.jpeg
E24D25C7-299E-4849-9821-C435D53B3014.jpeg
At 80 odd dollars in the presale, it doesn’t feel like a rip off because I can use it as a daily beater and travel with it. Here are the two side by side....

It does rattle, the doors don’t close properly, and doesn’t feel solid and well made like a Gillette, but weirdly I still get an absolutely great shave from it every time, just like the Fatboy. At 80 odd dollars in the presale, it doesn’t feel like a rip off because I can use it as a daily beater and travel with it.

And in the grand scheme of things, that's all that really matters. It shaves as good as the original.

I think it's time to let this thread die and serve as yet another cautionary tale, but not before I speak my peace.

I get it. The way GSC does business leaves much to be desired. I'm no fool; I know the tracking number they gave me is just a tracking number. There is no package attached to it. If I was in a hurry to get the razor, this would be a problem. Fortunately, I'm willing to tolerate the inevitable song and dance Sheldon is going to probably give me. It is I who will have the last laugh because not only do I have recourse through PayPal, but also my Credit Card issuer.

Frankly, I couldn't possibly care less that there are used Fat Boys available for less money. I looked, and I didn't like what I saw. I am not so caught up in the Fat Boy/vintage Gillette "mystique" that I'm willing to pay the same amount of money for a less than pristine example with brassing and/or pitting, nor am I willing to spend $200 for a Razor Emporium remanufactured example; the Mrs. would kill me. It's easier to justify $109 for a brand new in the box copy that, at least according to what I've read on here, shaves as good as the original despite its obvious flaws.

I'm not buying it to scratch a nostalgic itch, or because I miss the "way they used to make 'em"; I'm buying it for the novelty of an adjustable razor that's within my budget. Let's be honest here: I own a Parker 87R that's a cheap Indian-made copy of a No. 66 Aristocrat, and I've been shaving happily with it for over a year. It's held up remarkably well for a sub-$30 razor, despite Parker's checkered reputation for quality control. I'll be pleased as punch if it lasts even ten trouble-free years, but if not, oh well. Yes, I know there are other adjustables out there for under $100. Merkur has the Progress, while Parker has their Variant, but neither is a TTO.

Long story short, I really don't get why attempting to make others feel remorseful about their purchase before they even get it is constructive to anything, GSC's scummy business practices notwithstanding.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I think it's time to let this thread die and serve as yet another cautionary tale, but not before I speak my peace.

I get it. The way GSC does business leaves much to be desired. I'm no fool; I know the tracking number they gave me is just a tracking number. There is no package attached to it. If I was in a hurry to get the razor, this would be a problem. Fortunately, I'm willing to tolerate the inevitable song and dance Sheldon is going to probably give me. It is I who will have the last laugh because not only do I have recourse through PayPal, but also my Credit Card issuer.

Frankly, I couldn't possibly care less that there are used Fat Boys available for less money. I looked, and I didn't like what I saw. I am not so caught up in the Fat Boy/vintage Gillette "mystique" that I'm willing to pay the same amount of money for a less than pristine example with brassing and/or pitting, nor am I willing to spend $200 for a Razor Emporium remanufactured example; the Mrs. would kill me. It's easier to justify $109 for a brand new in the box copy that, at least according to what I've read on here, shaves as good as the original despite its obvious flaws.

I'm not buying it to scratch a nostalgic itch, or because I miss the "way they used to make 'em"; I'm buying it for the novelty of an adjustable razor that's within my budget. Let's be honest here: I own a Parker 87R that's a cheap Indian-made copy of a No. 66 Aristocrat, and I've been shaving happily with it for over a year. It's held up remarkably well for a sub-$30 razor, despite Parker's checkered reputation for quality control. I'll be pleased as punch if it lasts even ten trouble-free years, but if not, oh well. Yes, I know there are other adjustables out there for under $100. Merkur has the Progress, while Parker has their Variant, but neither is a TTO.

Long story short, I really don't get why attempting to make others feel remorseful about their purchase before they even get it is constructive to anything, GSC's scummy business practices notwithstanding.
I like your moxie. Good on you.

If you go back and read the OP he was complaining about the Fatguy cutting up his face and asking about the Fatboy. Maybe some of us didn't realize we were making him feel remorseful for buying an overpriced clone. Some of us can't compare the Fatguy to the Fatboy because we refuse to pay the high price for a knockoff. I for one have owned and used a Fatboy they shave wonderfully. Maybe you didn't find a Fatboy that passes your standards but there are some nice specimens out there and I for one was only pointing that out. I have found two to my liking and yes the 2nd one had a few tiny spots of rust but looks close to new for 60 years old. The one I gave my friend looked like it could have been new both of which were $50 cheaper than the clone, close to $100 when it goes back to regular price. I already made a mistake buying a clone of the Merkur Futur, and after that experience I will no longer buy a clone of anything. If I want the real thing I will buy it. I will never know what the real Merkur Futur will be like now because of this. Feel free to let this thread die.

Unwatched!

CoMF, nobody is attempting to make anyone feel anything. I was merely pointing out, as you yourself have acknowledged, that the product offered by GSC and their customer interactions could be better.

I speak from experience and by posting here, hopefully people can benefit from that, or not, as they see fit.

Before I bought any vintage razors, I placed an order for two Replitechs. At that point, I didn't like the idea of using "someone else's razor." Regrettably GSC mucked up my order, took months to deliver (pre-pandemic), were not particularly helpful in email communications and when the razors did arrive, they shaved less well than the far less expensive original Tech I had bought from eBay while waiting for my delivery. Once bitten, twice shy.

Your post does prompt the interesting question, given my experience above; would I buy a Fatguy at the same cost, from a different, more efficient company? On balance the answer is "No." Simply because it's over-priced given its construction and when the original item it's copying, is available for less money. If it were a $50 or $60 razor, I'd possibly try it. Not at over $100 + shipping, handling and taxes.

The tone of your post does suggest you are experiencing a modicum of post purchase regret. But so long as you are happy with your razor (when it arrives) that's all that matters. Enjoy your shaves.

I struggle to understand the aversion some people apparently have about used or old razors. What is behind this?
Razors don't actually shave. The blade does. The blade is then discarded. Razors are also generally made of materials that are not particularly porous and are readily amenable to cleaning procedures.

In short, I don't understand what makes some people think that a used razor is abhorrent. Maybe somebody can explain it to me?

I struggle to understand the aversion some people apparently have about used or old razors. What is behind this?
Razors don't actually shave. The blade does. The blade is then discarded. Razors are also generally made of materials that are not particularly porous and are readily amenable to cleaning procedures.

In short, I don't understand what makes some people think that a used razor is abhorrent. Maybe somebody can explain it to me?
Probably the same people that don't know that the dentist uses the same tools on all patients (cleaned/sterilized), or the surgical instruments are the same , or the endoscopes...... . I have to admit, it took me a year to discover vintage razors....

I picked up a Fat Guy at the introductory "backer" price. I'm glad I didn't spend the $109. It's an okay razor that uses the same design as a Fatboy. The Fatboy is a great razor, the Fatboy is, to quote Randy Jackson, just okay dog. I to prefer the Slim to the Fatboy, but you can get a couple decent Fatboys for the price of one Fat Guy.

Top Bottom