What's new

Fat Boy vs. Fat Guy razor

Real Fatboys are great, easy to use. Most youtubers are shills. 6S and gamechanger are great razors, and any of the real Gillette adjustable razors are fine....copied but never beaten.

+1! The FatBoy is a classic because it is an excellent shaver IMO!! :a29: :a29:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have never used a Slim, but as far as I can tell, lots of folks that have used both prefer it, and it's generally cheaper to buy.

Real Fatboys are great, easy to use. Most youtubers are shills. 6S and gamechanger are great razors, and any of the real Gillette adjustable razors are fine....copied but never beaten.
I confirmed the definition of shill before writing this post; an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler posing as a genuine customer to encourage or entice others.

By that definition, I'd defend most YouTubers I enjoy watching. They're not out to make money or swindle anyone. I'd also say, for the avoidance of any doubt that Global Shave Club is not doing anything illegal or nefarious.

But YouTubers do obviously receive free product in return for using and posting videos, often well ahead of paying customers. This seems to be clearly apparent with Global Shave Club releases. Another apparent trend seems to be that each new product prompts a series of videos close on the heels of one another, across channels. I wonder if there's any form of co-ordination involved?

I'd really like to see much more clarity and transparency on many of the YouTube shaving channels. If a product has been supplied for use or review, clearly state it. Were any conditions or timescales agreed? What will happen to the product after the review?

I'd also like to see more critical thinking and objective comparisons with popular razors, rather than "This shaves really well." That helps nobody.

For me the gold standard, are Nick Shabazz's reviews. I appreciate that not every shave channel wants to be quite as formulaic or review orientated but I'd rather that than endless, anodyne thank yous to suppliers who are essentially obtaining free advertising.

My advice is to quit watching YouTube shave channels; there isn't one of them I would trust as far as I could throw them. Maybe that says more about me than it does them.

I've noticed a couple channels have had better experiences with a couple vendors. Many get free products that are featured. I still enjoy watching these Youtubers, but trust the reviews on shaving forums a lot more.

I confirmed the definition of shill before writing this post; an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler posing as a genuine customer to encourage or entice others.

By that definition, I'd defend most YouTubers I enjoy watching. They're not out to make money or swindle anyone. I'd also say, for the avoidance of any doubt that Global Shave Club is not doing anything illegal or nefarious.

But YouTubers do obviously receive free product in return for using and posting videos, often well ahead of paying customers. This seems to be clearly apparent with Global Shave Club releases. Another apparent trend seems to be that each new product prompts a series of videos close on the heels of one another, across channels. I wonder if there's any form of co-ordination involved?

I'd really like to see much more clarity and transparency on many of the YouTube shaving channels. If a product has been supplied for use or review, clearly state it. Were any conditions or timescales agreed? What will happen to the product after the review?

I'd also like to see more critical thinking and objective comparisons with popular razors, rather than "This shaves really well." That helps nobody.

For me the gold standard, are Nick Shabazz's reviews. I appreciate that not every shave channel wants to be quite as formulaic or review orientated but I'd rather that than endless, anodyne thank yous to suppliers who are essentially obtaining free advertising.
I agree on Nick Shabazz. He can be overly critical and that voice makes me cringe but he is definitely objective.

I agree the Slim is the better of the 2
I don't have a FatBoy/Guy to compare, but, since the Slim should have the same head, I concur that the Slim is a tame and smooth shaver. I was sold it by this fine gent after all. 😆

For me the gold standard, are Nick Shabazz's reviews.
It was Nick Shabazz that first got me to "see a razor like this" while watching one of his videos about reaching gear nirvana! Shame that he doesn't review razors any more since he claims to have reached it with the Feather.

I think some of us are being too harsh on the youtube shavers. And I most certainly don't think many of them are shills.

I confine myself to several of the better-known, such as Ken Surfs, Geofatboy, Mark Szorady (spelling?) and the like. I find them to honest and educational. I appreciate their efforts. No one is forcing me to agree with them on every point they might make. Hey, I don't even agree with myself sometimes! My opinion on a product or on a procedure today might be different than my view 6 months ago.

I don't have a FatBoy/Guy to compare, but, since the Slim should have the same head, I concur that the Slim is a tame and smooth shaver. I was sold it by this fine gent after all. 😆

The Slim has a more compact head than the Fatboy. I have used both (the Slim extensively, the Fatboy periodically), and the shave is essentially the same, though I favor the Slim because I find it to be more nimble.

I like the idea of re-making old versions, but what's the point of getting an inferior product when you can get the original for the same price or even cheaper? Also, although the Gillette Fatboy is arguably the most iconic and famous razor, in terms of shaving it's far from their best model. A while ago I wanted to buy one in good condition just to have one in my collection, but seeing how almost none of my friends that own one are using it and how overpriced is even though the myth that Fatboys are rare have been debunked God knows how many times has stopped me from buying one.

It might be a ''good'' investment if you can grab one cheap so you can sell it later or to keep it in your collection, but just like others have stated in the comments, the Slim and the Super Adjustables are far superior in terms of shaving and are also far more inexpensive.

It would be much better if they try something like Matt from Razor Emporium did with the Rex Ambassador. Although the idea of his razor was taken from the Gibbs adjustable, the head of the razor and the shaving itself are very different. If they can do that and create a better (more efficient) version of the Fatboy or the Toggle like another company is trying to do, it would be infinitely times better.

I've never used a Fat Guy. It seems expensive for a copy of a razor that is easily available in good condition for a lot less than $109. I am skeptical that anyone could do as well as Gillette did with the complex mechanism. There were probably hundreds of person years of R&D put into developing and figuring out how to mass produce these razors in the heyday of Gillette adjustables. These comments don't mean that it's necessarily a bad razor, it might give as good a shave as an adjustable ever does. Plenty of modern razors are basically reworks of the old type, new improved and new heads in high end engineering materials and sell for up to $500 with long waits for some. They also work extremely well in many cases.

Out of curiosity what settings did you try on the Fatboy? The Rockwell 6S is smooth and mild using every setting, even with the 6 plate it has a smaller (less aggressive) blade gap than the Fatboy on 5. So if you went into the fatguy thinking, "I like aggressive," and cranked it up above 5 it may have just been more aggressive than you needed. If you haven't already done so dial it down to 3 and try it.
Here is a link to blade gap comparison

According to WSC, the Fat Guy “made of a Swiss alloy comprised of brass, with magnesium added for extra strength.” That sounds suspiciously like zamac. That’s a lot to pay for a zamac replica of a Fatboy.
Agree. If you want to get a Zamac Fatboy copy, get a Vikings Blade Emporer Meiji, not a Fatguy. Half the price, double the razor.

Out of curiosity what settings did you try on the Fatboy? The Rockwell 6S is smooth and mild using every setting, even with the 6 plate it has a smaller (less aggressive) blade gap than the Fatboy on 5. So if you went into the fatguy thinking, "I like aggressive," and cranked it up above 5 it may have just been more aggressive than you needed. If you haven't already done so dial it down to 3 and try it.
Here is a link to blade gap comparison
I tried the fat guy on 3 and not enough efficiency. I hear you on the 6s smoothness. I also love a Parker Variant set at 5 with a feather and that has a lot of blade feel. I’ve got the game changer .84 too and I love that razor. The fat guy just feels like it’s always pinching me regardless of the blade/setting combo. Some people may love this replica but I think it’s a piece of junk unfortunately.

I tried the fat guy on 3 and not enough efficiency. I hear you on the 6s smoothness. I also love a Parker Variant set at 5 with a feather and that has a lot of blade feel. I’ve got the game changer .84 too and I love that razor. The fat guy just feels like it’s always pinching me regardless of the blade/setting combo. Some people may love this replica but I think it’s a piece of junk unfortunately.
Yeah, I haven't used the replica so I can't speak for it. It does seem a bit expensive for a made in China razor that no one is completly sure what it is made of. The Rockwell is a great razor for less, an actual vintage Fatboy or Slim which will continue to be collectible and go up in price can be bought for less. And if it's not made of brass like the original, and is considerably lighter than the original, then it's not a very good replica and it's not going to shave the same.

Top Bottom