What's new

Fat Boy vs. Fat Guy razor

Hey everyone. After waiting forever to receive a GSC fatguy razor. Then the one I got was defective and had to get a new one. I'm having a lot of trouble with the razor. I'm not sure if its unique to the fat guy or if this is how the fatboy behaves as well.

I cannot shave with this fatguy without it biting me. I've shaved 3 times with it now and each time it's cut me twice. I'm not a new shaver. I've used a lot of razors and I tend to like more on the aggressive side than mild. I us a parker variant on 6 and a Rockwell 6s with the 6 plate.

What I'm finding is that I can't seem to find a good blade angle with this razor. By the time I get it to where it will shave, its really tuggy and it cuts me on the chin or the upper and lower lip. I don't have this problem with any other razor. Is the fatboy like this for people too? Does it have a much different angle than most razors that's difficult to get just right? I have 1960's flare tip super speed and don't have this problem with that razor.

Thanks for any tips or comments.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I recently shaved with my Fatboy as high as it would go, and I was amazed at how gentle it was. No idea what a Fatguy shaves like. Sorry, Dave

OK. I should have just bought a fatboy but I fell for the youtubers tales of wonder of what these fat guys were going to be back in April.....Fatboy's just seem like they've gotten too expensive. I'll probably just stick to my 6s and my gamechanger and be happy.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would get the real thing. Real Fatboys are fantastic razors. I love the weight as it helps me pressure wise. Don't worry about being caught up in the hype, we have all been caught up by the hype at some point. Many just don't want to admit it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would get the real thing. Real Fatboys are fantastic razors. I love the weight as it helps me pressure wise. Don't worry about being caught up in the hype, we have all been caught up by the hype at some point. Many just don't want to admit it.
Amen.

OK. I should have just bought a fatboy but I fell for the youtubers tales of wonder of what these fat guys were going to be back in April.....Fatboy's just seem like they've gotten too expensive. I'll probably just stick to my 6s and my gamechanger and be happy.
The Slim shaves as well or better and can be found cheaper. If it is all about the shave, then go for a Slim or Super Adjustable.

And check BST. Good prices there!

Since I don't have a Fatguy razor I can't say anything about them but the Fatboy is a smooth shaving razor on any setting. I just checked out the GSC and at $149 retail and $109 on sale now I can just about get two nice Fatboy's for that price. I had one in a case that I just gave my friend for Christmas that I had bought in a lot of 4 razors and I figured between the 4 razors I paid about $60 for the Fatboy. I have another one on the way that I just paid $55 for and hopefully it appears as nice in person as it does in the pictures but of course no case. It shaves as good as my Slim which is my number one razor. I run the Slim on 5 and ran the Fatboy on 6, I have run both on 9 and neither bit me. If the Fatguy was half the price it is I would consider buying one. At the price they are getting I can find some really nice Fatboy's in a case for about the same price or a little less. If they pull the sale price and charge the full price I can certainly find re-plated Fatboy's for about the same price and I would do that before buying a Fatguy.

Only advice on the Fatguy is maybe dial it back to a mild setting just to see if it still bites and see how it shaves. Maybe it isn't necessary to run it wide open to get good results. I personally don't like my Tech, SS or my Schick Krona because they are on the mild side and I like something more aggressive but I find that 5 to 6 on both the Slim and Fatboy were more than enough to get a nice shave.

Two thoughts:

1) Try different blades. Wilkinson Swords are cheap & local, so that's what I started with. Ran a little rougher than seemed normal in my first Fatboy. Took awhile, tried it again with improved technique, and it was better. It became REALLY GOOD with Voskhod. Go figure.

2) Lots of people say FBs are hyped, but I really, really, enjoy my 1964 pair (one screw-retainer, one crimped). I usually like longer handles in the 3.4-4 inch range, but the Slims and Black Beauties I had never got picked up. The FBs are the right width for a comfortable 3 finger grip, and just the right length & recessed end to sit on my pinkie-knuckle. Highly individualistic, so YMMV.

Two thoughts:

Lots of people say FBs are hyped, but I really, really, enjoy my 1964 pair (one screw-retainer, one crimped).

Just an FYI, they didn't make the FB in '64. Date codes for the FB are D3('58 3rd quarter) to H1('62 1st quarter). Just wondering what the date code is on yours. My Slim is a J3 which is '64 3rd quarter(my birth year and quarter razor).

Just an FYI, they didn't make the FB in '64. Date codes for the FB are D3('58 3rd quarter) to H1('62 1st quarter). Just wondering what the date code is on yours. My Slim is a J3 which is '64 3rd quarter(my birth year and quarter razor).
My apologies, you're right! I have a pair of F-4s (1960) not '64s.:redface:

Top Bottom