What's new

Fat Boy versus the Slim...

It occurs to me that in my razor acquisitions I've bought and sold many a Slim Adjustable but never shaved with one assuming that they were like the FB in the type of shave they rendered and I really don't care for the FB shave. Sorry guys but it's true and while I'm busy being the heretic here I don't really care for the shave I get from a Red Tip either. In fact the Red Tip felt just like the FB to me when I was using it. I still have a mint one in the collection though because they look SOOO cool.
So what about it guys? Is there enough difference between the FB and the SA to warrant my giving one a go?

It occurs to me that in my razor acquisitions I've bought and sold many a Slim Adjustable but never shaved with one assuming that they were like the FB in the type of shave they rendered and I really don't care for the FB shave. Sorry guys but it's true and while I'm busy being the heretic here I don't really care for the shave I get from a Red Tip either. In fact the Red Tip felt just like the FB to me when I was using it. I still have a mint one in the collection though because they look SOOO cool.
So what about it guys? Is there enough difference between the FB and the SA to warrant my giving one a go?

I would rate the slim between a FAtboy and a Super Adjustable.

==Tom

I have both Slim and Fat Boy in my small collection and I prefer the shave I get with the slim. I can't really say why but it is better. I would definitely give one a try.

I prefer the compact heft of the FB, but the shaving results are about the same for me.

My favorite adjustable is the Progress, which can shave rings around either one, in my experience.

Chuck

I have the fat boy, a super adjustable and a slim adjustable. My favorite of the three is the slim - I like its balance better than the other two. I use the fat boy least of all - seems too stubby in my hand.

jim

funny how the different handle thickness makes such a difference in feel because they are almost the same length - the Slim is a little longer but not by nearly as much as you perceive it to be

In addition to the handle being different, the heads are also different. The fatboy has the older style "tall" shape whereas the slim has a "narrow" head. As a result you may find you really like the slim although you don't like the fatboy.

Gillette adjustables are my favorite razors, and the slim is my favorite of the bunch. It is the most well balanced, and just feels smoother somehow. It's a tie for me between the super adjustable and the FB. The superadjustable feels smoother, but it's just too head heavy for me, making the FB easier to maneuver especially against the grain.

V

VR6ofpain

Yes you should give it a go. The shapes of their heads are different. The Fatboy has the taller (older design) head, whereas the Slim has the flatter (late 60's on through 70/80's Super-Speeds).

I used to think the Slim gave me a better shave. After shaving exclusively with the Fatboy for about a month now I can tell you it shave differently, but equally good. I like the look and heft of the Fatboy more though...which is odd because I originally thought the Slim was a superior razor. I think it is good to have both, since they are both great (though different) razors.

Give it a week of shaves and see what you think. I think you'll like the shaves with it set to 3 or 4. 5 seemed pretty tough and would be getting close to Red Tip territory. 2 though nice and mild, leaves too much stubble behind.

1...well 1 is kind of cool for the fun. You can put the safety bar and blade against your thumb set to 1 and it won't even cut you! Not very useful for shaving though!

I have both and prefer the Slim right now. I seem to get better consistent shave from the slim. I will add it is a milder shaver than the fatboy. The blade gaps are different. The overall feel and balance is different too. I like the feel of the slim and just seem to get better results with it. You should absolutley get one and try it out. For some reason mine seems to really like the merkur blades, I am getting awesome shave with them right now. None of my other razors seem to do so well the Merkur blades. Also it seems to work well with all the blades I have tried except Derbys, don't know why. But deffinitly give the slim a shot.

I have both the Fatboy and the Slim. I prefer the Slim but I can't tell you why. With the Fatboy I just seem to get to many nicks. Its all subjective.

It's no secret that I am Merkur Fan and the Progress (IMHO) is the best adjustable around... I do have several "Fat Boys" and "Slims" and the only way you can get a fair assessment is to give them both a try and make up your own mind... As you know most wet shavers are "preferential". What is aggressive for me may not be for you and what is mild for me may be aggressive for you... Give them a try and make up your own mind.

The "Slim" is easier to maneuver around the hard places (under the nose) but you can easily adapt using the "Fat Boy" if you are carefull and remember the technique.

Good luck, and as always...

Enjoy your shave... :biggrin:

Got a Slim coming from Chris (MTgrayling) who is flush with them at the moment.

Report forthcoming once I give it a try.

Top Bottom