What's new

Fat Boy quarter turn to lock?

I picked up a fat boy at a local antique store on Wednesday. Cleaned it up and shaved with it today. After the cleaning, everything seemed to work great.

I have been reading a bunch on here today about fat boys and came across many posts about the quarter or half turn to lock. I don't think mine does that, but I'm not sure. It seems to close up just like my super speeds, and seems very secure when it's tightened.

Does that sound normal? Should the quarter turn to lock feel different than how a super speed closes up?

Here's some pics for fun.

25D602AC-E955-45B0-9A85-6C7E3377DB2C.jpeg
CC91ACF0-7819-4D2F-A1C1-B1773AA5BF6C.jpeg
004ECB7E-6E90-4E16-80C1-BC15FF5871EB.jpeg
4491F011-8CFD-46A2-8CF8-CE284D566EF2.jpeg

It seems to close up just like my super speeds, and seems very secure when it's tightened.

Does that sound normal? Should the quarter turn to lock feel different than how a super speed closes up?
No, that isn't normal, and yes it should feel different than your SS. After your Fatboy comes tight, the knob should then rotate, under increased resistance, an additional 1/4 turn (or so) to lock. The mechanisms on many old adjustable Gillettes are really gunked up (a technical term) with soap scum and crud, and the 1/4 locking turn is the first thing to seize up. Try soaking with Dawn and hot water for hours, or overnight. If that doesn't work, then some penetrating oil is in order. I've had very good luck with PB Blaster. It's never failed to loosen up a stuck 1/4 turn, but it is nasty stuff, so outdoor or garage application is recommended. Let it sit overnight and it should free things up. Then clean thoroughly to remove the petro-chemical funk. Good luck.

No, and yes. When your Fatboy comes tight, it should then move, under increased resistance, an additional 1/4 turn (or so) to lock. The mechanisms on many old adjustable Gillettes are really gunked up (a technical term) with soap scum and crud, and the 1/4 locking turn is the first thing to seize up. Try soaking with Dawn and hot water for hours, or overnight. If that doesn't work, then some penetrating oil is in order. I've had very good luck with PB Blaster. It's never failed to loosen up a stuck 1/4 turn, but it is nasty stuff, so outdoor or garage application is recommended. Let it sit overnight and it should free things up. Then clean thoroughly to remove the petro-chemical funk. Good luck.

Thanks. I've soaked it a few times to get the adjustment plate moving freely. I'll try again focusing on the tto knob.

I don't have any penetrating oil or PB blaster, I'll have to get some. I assume mineral oil isn't good enough at penetrating to work?

Is there anything wrong with just letting it be , if it doesn't make the quarter turn, but still locks in place well enough to be secure during the entire shave?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Hello,

it’s not always a quarter turn. On 1 it’s more like 1/10 on 9 1/4. After the doors are closed you feel some spring resistance but can slightly turn the knob.

Adam

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Hello,

it’s not always a quarter turn. On 1 it’s more like 1/10 on 9 1/4. After the doors are closed you feel some spring resistance but can slightly turn the knob.

Adam
My experience with the Fatboys, Slims and Toggles is that if the adjustment dial is on 1, then the quarter turn is very slight, but if it’s on 9, it’s a full quarter turn, and it increases as you go from 1 to 9.

Hello,

Adam

Interesting. I don't feel a spring at all, so maybe it does need more soaking. To me it feels just like a super speed, which I don't believe has a spring.

My experience with the Fatboys, Slims and Toggles is that if the adjustment dial is on 1, then the quarter turn is very slight, but if it’s on 9, it’s a full quarter turn, and it increases as you go from 1 to 9.

I'll play around with this and see if I can notice it.

If you're supposed to be able to feel a spring, then I think mine might still be "frozen". The knob seems to work fine, but doesn't feel like there is any spring resistance.

If it had the service notches on the end cap, I'd just take it apart and clean it, but it's crimped unfortunately. I'm a bit nervous to try to take that apart and get it together again.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

could you take a picture of the head on setting 1 and 9 with a blade loaded?
Your razor is on 1 but the gap looks too wide, maybe it’s underclocked. Although I don’t know wether this affects spring tension.

It’s not worth to take it apart unless you are willing to fully deassemble the knob.

Adam

Hello,

could you take a picture of the head on setting 1 and 9 with a blade loaded?
Your razor is on 1 but the gap looks too wide, maybe it’s underclocked. Although I don’t know wether this affects spring tension.

It’s not worth to take it apart unless you are willing to fully deassemble the knob.

Adam

I'm not at home, but I'll get one when I get back.

I had the same thought as you after reading threads about over and under clocking, and I actually tried setting it so the tray was lower thinking it was under clocked, but the blade wouldn't even clamp down on the lower settings. Then I tried what it think was over clocking, but the adjuster maxed out before it got to 9, so I set it back in the "middle," and it seems to work. Shaving on 1 is nice and mild, 9 seemed to be fairly aggressive, though I quickly settled on 3.

If you're supposed to be able to feel a spring, then I think mine might still be "frozen". The knob seems to work fine, but doesn't feel like there is any spring resistance.
It's just added resistance so give it another try. It may need some more soaking but they usually free up.

No, that isn't normal, and yes it should feel different than your SS. After your Fatboy comes tight, the knob should then rotate, under increased resistance, an additional 1/4 turn (or so) to lock. The mechanisms on many old adjustable Gillettes are really gunked up (a technical term) with soap scum and crud, and the 1/4 locking turn is the first thing to seize up. Try soaking with Dawn and hot water for hours, or overnight. If that doesn't work, then some penetrating oil is in order. I've had very good luck with PB Blaster. It's never failed to loosen up a stuck 1/4 turn, but it is nasty stuff, so outdoor or garage application is recommended. Let it sit overnight and it should free things up. Then clean thoroughly to remove the petro-chemical funk. Good luck.

+1!! Great advice!! More cleaning should help.

I find I get a more comfortable shave after the 1/4 turn. Remember to put plumbers tape over your adjustment dial and a second strip over your ring to keep the numbers/ring from fading before any deep cleans. Use 2 strips of tape so that any detergents or chemicals can penetrate under the adjustment dial properly. I also start off with any detergents or chemicals with mine bottom up at the end of the handle.

Top Bottom