What's new

Fat Boy Initial Reactions

Received my 1958 Fat Boy from EBay yesterday. ($20) I was eager to try it. I have been using the Merkur HD. I wanted to compare the two. I have to say that the Fat Boy gave a very good BBS shave. :taz: I used 7 on the adjustment knob. Overall I was very impressed by the feel, and the quality of the shave. I used a new Derby blade.

It is now in my rotation and I was wonder: What is the difference between the Fat Boy and the Superspeed? They look similar.

Jeff

:clap:

I've only recently begun to toy with the Superspeed, but the obvious differences are weight and aggressiveness (of course the Fat Boy is adjustable). While I like the Superspeed and think it will continue to appear in the rotation, it simply doesn't provide the level of closeness that I can get from a Fat Boy or from any of the Merkur razors.

While I like the Superspeed and think it will continue to appear in the rotation, it simply doesn't provide the level of closeness that I can get from a Fat Boy or from any of the Merkur razors.

Kyle,

Which Superspeed do you have? I was thinking of getting a red tip Superspeed because it's supposed to be more aggressive. If the red tip pales in comparison to the Fat Boy, then I'll pass on the Superspeed altogether.

Thanks

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Try fiddling with the lower settings- 7 is quite high. You can get an amazingly smooth shave with a Fat Boy.

Kyle,

Which Superspeed do you have? I was thinking of getting a red tip Superspeed because it's supposed to be more aggressive. If the red tip pales in comparison to the Fat Boy, then I'll pass on the Superspeed altogether.

Thanks

I've got a late 40's model (#3 in Jerry's photo), and have what I believe is the early 50's model that very closely resembles the 40's model but has the black plastic adjustment knob.

The razor/s that you are referring to (red tip) are of a later design than those I have used up to this point.

Took the advice and tried a #5 in my Fat Boy today. BBS shave. Did a job IMHO on par with my HD. Next step is to order the Feathers and give them a shot. I am currently using Derby's. Thanks for the follow up and advice.

Jeff

Took the advice and tried a #5 in my Fat Boy today. BBS shave. Did a job IMHO on par with my HD. Next step is to order the Feathers and give them a shot. I am currently using Derby's. Thanks for the follow up and advice.

Jeff

I use a #3 setting most of the time and I have a very hard beard. With Feathers, a #3 is all you need, IMMO.

Try fiddling with the lower settings- 7 is quite high. You can get an amazingly smooth shave with a Fat Boy.

I've just start using the slim version and i'm using it on 2 and getting a great shave with merkurs. And there suposed to be the dullest of the bunch.

I prefer the SuperSpeed. I find I like the combination of mild razors and sharp blades versus any other combination. I also prefer a lighter razor, which again, leads me to the SS.

Fat Boy on 3 with a Gillette Swedish blade. :thumbup1:

But the Superspeed is great with a Feather blade!

I use both, but prefer the Fat Boy (or the slim adjustable).

Received my 1958 Fat Boy from EBay yesterday. ($20) I was eager to try it. I have been using the Merkur HD. I wanted to compare the two. I have to say that the Fat Boy gave a very good BBS shave. :taz: I used 7 on the adjustment knob. Overall I was very impressed by the feel, and the quality of the shave. I used a new Derby blade.

It is now in my rotation and I was wonder: What is the difference between the Fat Boy and the Superspeed? They look similar.

Jeff

:clap:

Galpman
I got my Fatso (F4) this week and used it with a Derby on 7. It was a very very smooth shave. I think I might prefer fatboy over the HD. Peronally I prefer heavier razors because it does all the work for me. Prevent me from applying too much pressure

:thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Galpman
I got my Fatso (F4) this week and used it with a Derby on 7. It was a very very smooth shave. I think I might prefer fatboy over the HD. Peronally I prefer heavier razors because it does all the work for me. Prevent me from applying too much pressure

:thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Amyn,

Completely agree. I would be interested to see how Feathers fare in this Big Boy, have some on order and will report back.

Thanks and have a Merry Xmas...:santa:

I have a Feather in my Fatboy (did I just say that??:eek: ). It's a great combination. Just glide it accross you face and let the blade do the work for you. It's the riding lawn mower of razors. I give a slight edge to the Slim Adjustable though. The longer handle and the weight distribution makes for an awesome shave. Enjoy!

I've just start using the slim version and i'm using it on 2 and getting a great shave with merkurs. And there suposed to be the dullest of the bunch.

It's funny but I never thought Merkurs were that dull, still don't and I use a Feather everyday now.

BTW great avatar with Bart. :thumbup:

Top Bottom