What's new

Fat Boy Confirmation?

Only been shaving with DE for 3-4 years. Back then got an EJ DE89. Tried to get an adjustable Gillette at the time on e-bay at the time but didn’t want to wait or bid. The EJ 89 broke a few days ago. Looked on e-bay at fat boys but a little more than I wanted right now. Wanted to get a Gillette super speed from my birth year 1957 but ended up doing buy it now for a 1962 slim adjustable. The birth year nagged me so a few days later I broke down and got the super speed 1957. The two razors have shipped but are not here yet. I broke the news to my wife yesterday about buying two and this morning at lunch she says her mom has grandpa’s old razor. He passed away in the 80’s. Naturally I went over not expecting much. This thing may have been under my nose in the workshop room there for 28 years. Just wanted to be totally sure but based on the photo hopefully inserted here is it a fat boy? Says Gillette F-2 on the bottom but no other indication. Photo is from before a brief cleaning. I am fairly certain it is a fat boy but wanted to check.

Been busy today and have not taken the morning shower and shave yet. Main question is, do I clean it proper with some of the procedures I’ve read or can I use it? Used a toothbrush and soapy water and toothpaste. It’s soaking in some hydrogen peroxide that expired in 11/2016. It’s all I’ve got.

20170703_140600 (Copy).jpg

Yes it is a Fatty, congrats! Since it hasn't been used in years soap and water will get it clean enough to use. :thumbup1:

Looks pretty clean to me. Congratulations!

F-2 means it was made during the 2nd calendar quarter of 1960. The letter F is the code of 1960. The letter G is 1961, and so forth. I guess you were 3 years old when the razor was made.

Use only very warm soapy water and an old soft tooth brush. While submerged rotate the dial back and forth and open and close the doors repeatedly.

Don't overdo it and don't overthink it. At the end of the day, it's a 57 year old tool to hold a blade.

Definitely looks like the one I have, a Fatboy. However, being that it was your wife's grandfather's razor makes it incredible no matter what it is. Enjoy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Razors are not pinto beans.

No need to soak them.

If you are worried about germs, a "quick" dip in alcohol would be fine.

The razor God's have been kind to you. A good scrubbing should get that Fatboy into shape. Congratulations on the heirloom.

R

romsitsa

It's a Fatboy and it's an F2, you are lucky.
There should be a retainer cap under the knob with two slots. If yes, you can unscrew it and take out the T bar and silo doors to clean the whole razor. Just look out for the spring under the retainer cap.
Later models have a press fitted cap, making disassembly way more complicated.

Adam

Top Bottom