What's new

Fasteners...

I've made a few scales and pinned and repinned a few razors but I've only used copper rod and copper washers. I got a "kit" online with more than enough rod and washers for my needs.

However some of the vintage razors seem to almost have no washers or maybe they are just really small.

I like the look of the way those old razors are pinned better than what I have. My washers are too big by way of comparison but I never see pinning supplies on Ebay with anything that looks like those old razors.

Were they just pinned using different parts than we have available today?

The smallest stainless washers I use have an OD of 2.91 mm. The tiniest brass ones come in a bit larger at 3.1mm.
I do not recall seeing any washers, new or old, smaller than that.

Yep, some of the ivory scales I've seen appear to have no wahers, just a roundly mushroomed head. The marine steel washers I tend to use as standard are 3.8 od and the smallest affordable brass ones are 3.3 od. With a bit of care you can combe them for a 'bullseye' effect.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You can get tiny washers at microfasteners.com or you can punch or cut them out of sheet brass, drill out the centers, stack them on a bolt and turn them to size with your drill and a file or some sandpaper. Brass, or copper, or silver, whatever. 18k gold, anyone?

You can get tiny washers at microfasteners.com or you can punch or cut them out of sheet brass, drill out the centers, stack them on a bolt and turn them to size with your drill and a file or some sandpaper. Brass, or copper, or silver, whatever. 18k gold, anyone?
A friend that came in to some money recently asked if I could grind him a solid silver straight razor, lol.

Top Bottom