What's new

Fasteners for SR Scales

I've noticed there are tiny screws/fasteners for SR scales in 12.5 and 15mm. Has anyone used them or could you advise? Since I am into vintage SR now I am sure I will need to tighten up a loose fitting.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I've noticed there are tiny screws/fasteners for SR scales in 12.5 and 15mm. Has anyone used them or could you advise? Since I am into vintage SR now I am sure I will need to tighten up a loose fitting.

The standard pin for a razor is 1/16" diameter and has been so for generations. They are not metric. The industry standard is nickel/silver rod. Washers are sometimes brass, sometimes nickel or stainless or copper or whatever, as long as the hole is 1/16" diameter.

Some hobbyists like to pin temporarily with size 0 brass bolts and nuts. However, brass is very soft and threaded bolts and nuts are prone to loosening. The best material for pinning straight razors is 1/16" nickel/silver rod. The rod is cut very slightly over length, washers placed on the ends,and the ends are peened down onto the washers. This is a permanent fix and a professional quality one.

There are many sources for Nickel Silver rod. The best source for size 0 bolts is www.microfasteners.com.

As slash said , they are for temporary fastening as on vintage straights , if that’s your interest, they are not used.

Top Bottom