What's new

Fast -v- Slow SR Shaving

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am normally not a fast shaver as I enjoy using my SR. For a change, yesterday I decided to slow down even more the speed of my SR shaving strokes, just to see if it changed anything. It did.

Nothing else was changed. The resultant shave was noticeably closer. I am not sure what the cause is here.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think a little slowness is good when shaving. allows for some focus
I agree, however SR shaving taught me long ago to focus and concentrate.

I considered that my slower speed allowed for more focused concentration. The normal speed of my shaving strokes is already rather slow. I don't think that was the cause of the closer shave.

I agree that slowing down the process helps with focus, just remeber to keep your blade speed up. I use short brisk strokes.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I agree that slowing down the process helps with focus, just remeber to keep your blade speed up. I use short brisk strokes.
I started SR shaving with short brisk strokes. As my technique improved, they became long(er) medium-speed strokes. That is until yesterday when I slowed down even a bit more.

Even at this slower speed, me blade's edge moves smoothly to remove the lather. My whiskers just come off with the lather, no catching.

I do both. I keep a beard, so I have to be mindful of that. When I am doing my cheeks, I usually use short, quick strokes... but my neck, I tend to use longer, slower strokes. You would think it would be the other way around, but for some reason, that's how I do it.

Either approach has merits.

I never knew that shaving could be so fun and satisfying until I started reading the forums. A good brush, great soap, well chosen edge for your mood, gentle preparation and time taken to savour the shave. With the science and art garnered from the collective expertise and experience here you can experience the luxury of truly outstanding shaves.

Sometimes I am not in the mood to shave or I don't have time. Then I enjoy a speedy single pass to clean up my face. There is a different satisfaction in knowing that I can get a better shave in less time with my straight than I could with cartridge, electric or safety razor. It's rewarding to know that I have a razor at any time that I can use and get the result I expect with little thought. It defines minimalism for me. Strop - lather - shave - go.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My shaving is neither fast nor slow I suppose. I just shave and enjoy the ride. I guess I’m stuck in medium. On the rare need for a quick shave, I just use a shavette.

slow shaver here......

although now will use a quick stroke in some areas that give me trouble. could be me........ but seems to clear that area or trouble spot better.

camo

Top Bottom