What's new

Fashionable belt-attached key chains

I've got a quicksilver key-chain (I'm 26) I work in a warehouse alone all day so no one really can say to me take those jingling keys off (hey at least I'm not wearing those jingle bells on a necklace.

I remember there used to be key wallets with individual little hangers for each key.
But ever since cars went from an ignition/trunk & entry key, most of them are too bulky to fit in one.

proxy.php

I need something like a thin leather strip with two loops at the end. No more than half an inch wide or so at least 4 inches long so it goes inside the pocket. This is the piece I can't find anywhere.

why not just use a pocket watch chain? Those look classy and understated and are built for the purpose.

A variation on the pocket watch chain is this item:
proxy.php

It's also available from Amazon (link) and seems to be exactly what you are looking for. I would thread one end through the keyring on the belt attachment that you posted in your OP, then attach a small double carabiner to the other end. This one is from REI, but I've seen the same product at Home Depot.
proxy.php

That would make the tether a part of your wardrobe, but would allow the removal of the keys relatively easy. Is this what you are looking for?

I've decided to use a normal necklace chain instead of the leather loop for the extension into my pocket. it looks real nice, and is largely hidden once it goes in the pocket. So all that is visible is the leather that attaches to the belt and about an inch of silver as it goes into my pocket. That's pretty cool.

I'm using a nice silver curb chain, BTW. I had the jeweler cut me a nice length.

B

bluefoxicy

I used to clip my keys to my belt, because my wallet is front-right pocket. It was convenient, but noisy and unweildly.

The issue I had was in middle school people would fight on the bus, I mean the WHOLE bus was one big pit and everyone was going at it. When they landed on me, my keys would stab me in the leg through my pocket. Ouch.

You might stand out in an undesirable way, and you'll probably get negative comments. Be glad you're out of high school; nobody is going to target you as a nerd and then realize they've got to add some violence to the mix to get the same attention from their rapidly-maturing peers. This was a real concern for me in that stage of my life, as in it really happened that way.

You may want to set your keys up with a key splitter, and rid yourself of the non-essentials:

proxy.php

I have house keys for a few houses; a garage lock key; a spark plug gapper; THREE keys to get into my apartment (one to get to the laundry room); mailbox key; SecurID; and a bottle opener on my key chain. With one of these things, I'd shove my two apartment keys (main door and my apartment) on one side, with the mailbox key for convenience; and everything else on the other side. I carry my car key on its own ring with the remote. Maybe keep my utilities on the get-back-into-house side.

I know, this would leave me going home to get keys to various peoples' houses, how sad. Or going to my apartment to get the laundry room key... maybe I'll shove that on this side too? But then I'd need the garage key, because why not.

In reality, the laundry room and garage AND mailbox are AT MY APARTMENT, I can leave those off (mailbox: you can pick this up on the way in).

I know, it's complex. It involves some thought, and compromises. But hell I dump the whole key chain in my car when I go out.

I have house keys for a few houses; a garage lock key; a spark plug gapper; THREE keys to get into my apartment (one to get to the laundry room); mailbox key; SecurID; and a bottle opener on my key chain. With one of these things, I'd shove my two apartment keys (main door and my apartment) on one side, with the mailbox key for convenience; and everything else on the other side. I carry my car key on its own ring with the remote. Maybe keep my utilities on the get-back-into-house side.

I know, this would leave me going home to get keys to various peoples' houses, how sad. Or going to my apartment to get the laundry room key... maybe I'll shove that on this side too? But then I'd need the garage key, because why not.

In reality, the laundry room and garage AND mailbox are AT MY APARTMENT, I can leave those off (mailbox: you can pick this up on the way in).

I know, it's complex. It involves some thought, and compromises. But hell I dump the whole key chain in my car when I go out.

When I left Chicago I rid myself of 11 keys. 6 for home and 5 for work. It was always a hassle. Can't say I miss it much. Well, I miss Chicago, but not the key situation. :001_smile

One option is to keep my keys in my messenger bag, but that's risky. Just last week, I accidentally left my bag at work.

This is what I do (and for the record, I also keep my cell phone in the messenger bag). Once I lock my truck doors it's convenient to slip the keys into the side pouch on my bag, and I know exactly where they are.

If you leave your keys in your bag, isn't it unlikely that you'll leave your bag at work? Once you get to your car you can't exactly go anywhere without going back in to get your keys (and bag).

Last edited:
Look guys. I appreciate your advice, but the bottom line is that I'm not getting rid of my keys. I don't work in an high profile executive environment. There are plenty of poorly dressed people around to rag on before people notice that I have keys in my pocket. Just by me wearing a well-fitted shirt, tie, and slacks (no suit) I am already in the upper 5% well-dressed in the entire building.

My solution is the leather belt loop, with a silver curb chain extending into my pocket. I will post a picture when I get the leather belt loop. It looks pretty nice. When the time comes and I'm a top executive in the building and have to wear suits daily, I'll consider a change.

Top Bottom